Author Topic: Ex-smokers: cost to quit?  (Read 2654 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Ex-smokers: cost to quit?
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 06:47:01 AM »
My first advice is to try the cheap or free tactics first. The hospital class like Barbara mentioned, buy a box of the gum, but only use it when you absolutely have to. etc. You might surprise yourself. Going into this that you're a 'hopeless case" who's only chance is the full-court press isn't going to get you far.

If that dosen't work, then go whole hog on the prescriptions, patches, and gums etc.

One other thing you can do since you're so interested in cost/benefit ratios  is "pay yourself for not smoking". Every pack or carton you didn't smoke, make a deposit into a savings account, a pickle jar, whatever& Make that gun-money or whatever you want to spend it on. Your wife can save up for some New Orleans stuff to decorate with or whatever her desires are.

Another tactic is to make up some kind of bogus association or superstition in you mind, just like a little kid "Step on a crack, break your mother's back". I call it "constructive self-delusion".

Tell yourself that every cig you smoke between now and the first Tuesday in Nov. is 100 fewer votes for Mark Green, Sen. Zien, and Reynolds, and that if you smoke, the PPA won't pass. Then pick the next thing, the Packers won't win. If  Green and the Repubs win in Nov. then tell yourself the PPA will get screwed up with poison pills if you give in and smoke.

If you do slip, set yourself a period of smoke-free time to make it up and undo the "damage"&

Every time you smoke, God kills a kitten etc& I'll buy a lottery ticket and convince myself that I won't win if I don't get XYZ done on time. (I'm careful not to promise myself I will win, just that I'm certain to lose if I fail.)  If I remember to take out the trash, my kids will sleep through the night.

It's a stupid trick, but if you get into it, it'll work. I do that to get myself through unplesant tasks.

If you don't think Cold-Turkey will work, make a rule that you can only smoke in a certain place. No more smoking in the house. Rain, snow, or shine, you have to smoke outside, and a certain distance so you're not sheltered by the house etc.

Figure out some kind of penalty you and your wife can enforce on each other for breaking the rule.
I promise not to duck.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 07:52:42 AM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg
I wish I could grab the cigarette from every young kid's mouth I see and stomp on it.
Why do you NOT care about yourself as much as the young kid?

What do you want?

How would that FEEL?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

caseydog

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 04:13:52 PM »
My doctor (a realistic dude) said "40 pack years" and now matter what hardy stock you're made of you're goin down! Many will go sooner but once you hit that plateau you have a 80% chance of dying in the next 5 years of a smoking related illness if you continue to smoke. Thats 1 pack a day for 40 years ,  , 2 packs for 20 years or 4 packs for 10 years , if you fall in the 40 pack years category you are are the fast track for a dirt nap unless you stop NOW. Are you willing to take the chance you'll never be issued a CCW permit you fought that hard for ? The price of quitting is laughable compared to the ULTIMATE price for continuing.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

Lee

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 05:02:10 PM »
Another "silly" trick that actually does work, is to put a rubber band around your wrist and snap it hard against your wrist when your mind drifts into craving mode.  It's enough of a disruption to the brain's addiction cycle that you regain focus.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 07:07:15 PM »
I was a heavy smoker.
 Your assumption that you need to buy another drug to get you off the drug you are on is plain wrong.
In AA we refer to it as "stinking thinking".

GET THIS BOOK!
   Addictive Thinking: Understanding Self-Deception
By Abraham J Twerski.

The addicted part of your brain has you thinking you can not quit.  BOVINE EXCREMENT!

You can quit!

What I found is it's better to quit on the weekend (i.e not at work) when you have less stress.

Ask God for help too.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 11:39:26 AM »
When I quit I spent the $ on the lottery.
Now I'm spending only six bucks a week on lottery (ciggs were cheaper in 91).

I don't know if you subscribe to any particular spiritual belief, I tried "visualizing" the addiction
leaving me and the spirit entering me.

That was in 91, I was kinda new agey in those days.
I'm into 12 steps and Christianity now.

Quit and stay that way, the waters great! hop on in.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."