Author Topic: Great gods and lil fishes  (Read 3416 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Great gods and lil fishes
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 05:21:37 PM »
Good stuff.

On the last link, this jumped out immediately:
Women who become consultants with Mary Kay Cosmetics are often immediately indoctrinated to not include their spouses in basic decision making.

And I can personally verify the accuracy of that claim.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »

That said, anyone in the Boateng family could have picked up a book on finances. Hell, they could have gotten an MBA in business for 10% of the money they borrowed. At a certain point, they were either willfully ignorant or gaming the system. Probably a mix of both and just thought "Yay, free money!" 

The Boateng's even state in the article that in their culture, you buy what you can afford to pay cash for and keep it a long time. So they at least had some basic understanding of "buy what you can afford". They, for whatever reasons, decided to ignore the good financial advice they'd grown up with.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 02:22:18 AM »
The Boateng's even state in the article that in their culture, you buy what you can afford to pay cash for and keep it a long time. So they at least had some basic understanding of "buy what you can afford". They, for whatever reasons, decided to ignore the good financial advice they'd grown up with.

Lots of 'this is America' stuff.  They don't get loans in their native country because they can't.  They get to the USA, start getting contact points and advice from their church, and remember that a lot of this stuff is things that Americans fell for as well.  They got sold the 'American dream' hard, it wouldn't have been ideal, but they 'probably' would have been fine if it hadn't been for the crash.

I'll admit that I saw the crash coming, but a lot of economists didn't even see it, and what ones did were ignored*. 

They deserved to be forced to declare bankruptcy and move back into the townhouse, but beyond that?  Not much.

Oh, and I wonder if they're the type where digital currency isn't really real to them.

*I knew it was going to happen sometime, but as a non-economist I wasn't even going to try to predict when.  But the economists weren't good at guessing either.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
Spoon's a consultant with Rodan & Fields. She had a MK person try to recruit her: the exchange was almost funny
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »
Spoon's a consultant with Rodan & Fields. She had a MK person try to recruit her: the exchange was almost funny

Context?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 06:01:09 PM »
The MK chick was trying to compare the R&F product line with her own, and spouting nonsense. Spoon stayed polite, but you could tell she was getting... irritable

Of course, interrupting her coffee to try and get her to do the MK thing was a bad idea from the start
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)