Author Topic: Tiangong-1 space station - Uncontrolled landing in 2017  (Read 3546 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Tiangong-1 space station - Uncontrolled landing in 2017
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/satellites/a22936/tiangong-falling-to-earth/
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-09/14/c_135687885_2.htm

The Tiangong-1 is China's first 'space station'. The Tiangong-1 is an oversized Shenzhou, which is a stretched Soyuz. They admitted that they couldn't tell where it would land. Which virtually certainly means they don't have control anymore. They did say a couple months ago that they disabled data service, but that was component monitoring.  Tiangong-2 was already launched.

OTOH, they have more of a manned space program than we do so.... Can't give too much smack talk.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Tiangong-1 space station - Uncontrolled landing in 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 04:14:34 PM »
So Trump will have to build a wall and a roof?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 06:42:02 PM »
 [tinfoil] This how it will start. Uncontrolled re-entry my hairy butt. They'll crash the damn thing in the middle of NYC and claim no responsibility. Then, while we're all busy with that they'll invade the west coast and annex California, which in retrospect might not be so bad after all. [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
[tinfoil] This how it will start. Uncontrolled re-entry my hairy butt. They'll crash the damn thing in the middle of NYC and claim no responsibility. Then, while we're all busy with that they'll invade the west coast and annex California, which in retrospect might not be so bad after all. [tinfoil]

I'm good with that.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 07:08:39 PM »

So when President Donald builds his wall along the southern border of Arizona, he can just take a right turn to the north when the wall gets to Los Algodones ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 08:34:32 AM »

Uh, you do know it's 34.1 ft by 11 ft and only about 9 tons? Even if it was squarely aimed at NYC and survived re-entry (without guidance), it'd do less damage than an out of control dump truck.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 08:48:36 AM »
Uh, you do know it's 34.1 ft by 11 ft and only about 9 tons? Even if it was squarely aimed at NYC and survived re-entry (without guidance), it'd do less damage than an out of control dump truck.

Yah. A few of the tougher chunks, like a titanium pressurization tank, and beefier fragments of the structure will survive, and fall at roughly terminal velocity as if they were dropped from a plane.

And still 90% odds or so it falls in ocean, wilderness, or a farm field.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 01:23:52 PM »

It's made in China.  Probably coated in something horribly toxic because it was cheaper than Krylon.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »

My devious, paranoid, evil brain was composing something to this effect too.  But I too wondered about how much physical damage it could do.   Apart from any nuclear materials on board.

But of course there's a staff meeting going on right now in Pentagon Meeting Room E-215 regarding this.  The betting seems to favor 39°50′N 98°35′W as the place they'll plunk it down and pretend it was all innocent and accidental-like.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »
Yah. A few of the tougher chunks, like a titanium pressurization tank, and beefier fragments of the structure will survive, and fall at roughly terminal velocity as if they were dropped from a plane.

And still 90% odds or so it falls in ocean, wilderness, or a farm field.

Even a titanium tank is gonna have a hard time staying intact through atmo. Even still, like you said, much much higher chance of hitting ocean or middle of nowhere than people, buildings, etc.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Tiangong-1 space station - Uncontrolled landing in 2017
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »

I'm good with that.
And we should threaten instant nuclear retaliation if they refuse to take NYC and DC too.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 04:36:17 PM »
Even a titanium tank is gonna have a hard time staying intact through atmo. Even still, like you said, much much higher chance of hitting ocean or middle of nowhere than people, buildings, etc.

Due to the tough material, round shape, and low mass (either empty, or they vent as the connecting pipes or valves burn off) , they're the most commonly found pieces of intact space debris.  Even sometimes carbon fiber/composite ones land largely intact.

https://www.google.com/search?q=titanium+tank+found+space&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8zK6Sp6HPAhWE3YMKHbwnAuQQ_AUICCgB&biw=1366&bih=629#imgrc=DgRS60VDjNuUdM%3A
I promise not to duck.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 10:37:44 PM »
But of course there's a staff meeting going on right now in Pentagon Meeting Room E-215 regarding this.  The betting seems to favor 39°50′N 98°35′W as the place they'll plunk it down and pretend it was all innocent and accidental-like.
I wonder if they'll thank the Clintons for the guidance system?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 07:57:24 PM »
I guess I didn't see why the station was having trouble in the first place.  Just age?

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 08:49:50 PM »

You'd be surprised.

Due to the tough material, round shape, and low mass (either empty, or they vent as the connecting pipes or valves burn off) , they're the most commonly found pieces of intact space debris.  Even sometimes carbon fiber/composite ones land largely intact.

https://www.google.com/search?q=titanium+tank+found+space&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8zK6Sp6HPAhWE3YMKHbwnAuQQ_AUICCgB&biw=1366&bih=629#imgrc=DgRS60VDjNuUdM%3A

AJ is correct.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 10:49:16 PM »
I guess I didn't see why the station was having trouble in the first place.  Just age?

OH YE-

I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 07:04:36 AM »
Come to think of it, just venting a pressure vessel after the valves and other plumbing burns off would keep it cooler on the way down, no?  And it wouldn't actually be exposed to atmospheric friction until the rest of the station burned away around it, I reckon.

So I can see them coming down intact if everything is "just so."

Terry

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 08:28:12 AM »
Come to think of it, just venting a pressure vessel after the valves and other plumbing burns off would keep it cooler on the way down, no?  And it wouldn't actually be exposed to atmospheric friction until the rest of the station burned away around it, I reckon.

Terry

Not really/it depends re: the depressurization. 
Yes on the other part, but the station would likely mechanically separate before it burned away.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 12:37:15 PM »
Come to think of it, just venting a pressure vessel after the valves and other plumbing burns off would keep it cooler on the way down, no?  And it wouldn't actually be exposed to atmospheric friction until the rest of the station burned away around it, I reckon.

Terry

Pressurized with what? Oxygen? BOOM! Only small chunks remain. What inert gas would it be pressurized with?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 01:34:35 PM »
Pressurized with what? Oxygen? BOOM! Only small chunks remain. What inert gas would it be pressurized with?

Helium. The smaller spherical tanks might be for Hydrazine or other hypergolic/binary propellants for RCS, but often it's a helium tank used to pressurize the fuel and drive it out of it's tank and fill the growing void in the tank to maintain pressure, and it's structural integrity too.

The high thrust of takeoff can't be managed in large rockets simply by a helium pressurization system to drive the oxidizer and fuel to the combustion chamber and rocket nozzle, they use turbopumps for that of course, but they still use helium pressurization to back-fill the tanks etc. keep everything moving in the right direction and whatnot.

The smaller RCS systems, and lower powered orbital maneuvering thrusters, and station-keeping might be entirely pressure-fed with helium.
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 06:10:24 PM »
Helium. The smaller spherical tanks might be for Hydrazine or other hypergolic/binary propellants for RCS, but often it's a helium tank used to pressurize the fuel and drive it out of it's tank and fill the growing void in the tank to maintain pressure, and it's structural integrity too.

The high thrust of takeoff can't be managed in large rockets simply by a helium pressurization system to drive the oxidizer and fuel to the combustion chamber and rocket nozzle, they use turbopumps for that of course, but they still use helium pressurization to back-fill the tanks etc. keep everything moving in the right direction and whatnot.

The smaller RCS systems, and lower powered orbital maneuvering thrusters, and station-keeping might be entirely pressure-fed with helium.

Yup, and unlike most other gases, helium heats up when expanded through an orifice (it's Joule-Thomson coefficient opposite of things like nitrogen, oxygen, argon, etc...at least when starting at any reasonable temps)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »
I didn't know that, cool. Thanks for the info.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 09:54:27 AM »
Helium is weird stuff.

However, I did not specify helium in terms of cooling the pressure vessel by venting.  I have no idea of what kind of balance there might be with respect to the heat input from atmospheric friction versus the amount of cooling by venting, and no way to calculate it with multivariate inputs.

I just mentioned cooling by venting as a possible variable in explaining why pressure vessels sometimes make it all the way to the ground, with the nature of the gas unspecified.

(And I'm surprised nobody seems to have picked up on the "target coordinates" I mentioned above: 39°50′N 98°35′W.)

Terry
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:06:54 AM by 230RN »

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »
Center X center of the US. Thus wondering if the Chinese would thank the Clintons for a way to do so accurately.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 05:32:01 PM »
Helium is weird stuff.

However, I did not specify helium in terms of cooling the pressure vessel by venting.  I have no idea of what kind of balance there might be with respect to the heat input from atmospheric friction versus the amount of cooling by venting, and no way to calculate it with multivariate inputs.

I just mentioned cooling by venting as a possible variable in explaining why pressure vessels sometimes make it all the way to the ground, with the nature of the gas unspecified.

(And I'm surprised nobody seems to have picked up on the "target coordinates" I mentioned above: 39°50′N 98°35′W.)

Terry

What I meant was venting will only cool the tank if it isn't helium, hydrogen, or neon (the last one is IIRC).  If it were hydrazine or other liquid, then yes, due to phase change.

But the reason they make it to the ground is due to low ballistic coefficient.