Author Topic: Brexit Preppers  (Read 1948 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Brexit Preppers
« on: January 20, 2019, 09:50:28 AM »
I had not heard of any news or other info (though I wasn't looking) regarding Brexit potentially causing any major supply problems for the British. I don't know if it will or not, but it was interesting to read about these "preppers", which don't seem to be as extreme as some US preppers.

I've never really considered that there are "prepper mentalities" anywhere in the EU. I'm curious how much, and to what degree (i.e., simple food storage vs underground bunkers) it goes on in that part of the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/14/i-dont-trust-the-government-to-look-after-me-or-my-dog-meet-the-brexit-stockpilers
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Brexit Preppers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:16:08 AM »
I would hope a lot. How many wars does it take? The days of captured German guns hidden in the barn are probably over though. Maybe.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »
There's a young woman on YouTube using the name Survival Lilly living in or near Germany who does videos on survival in both urban and wilderness environments.   She's pretty good.  Her bug out camp is pretty awesome.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 12:06:19 PM »
I would hope a lot. How many wars does it take? The days of captured German guns hidden in the barn are probably over though. Maybe.

I only have my one data point, but I'm the only one of all my cousins who does any kind of "prepping". The rest don't even seem to think about it, which to me is weird. They heard all the same stories from their parents that I heard from mine, as well as those told by our grandparents about what life was like during WW2, including the banks going broke and lack of food and stuff. The most any of them do is grow a garden, but that's practically a national pastime anyway.

I sort of attributed that to me being in America and them in Germany, but maybe not. I'll have to dig up the German prepper girl unless Chris has a link. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 12:17:07 PM »
Old joke:

Q: "Why do Lithuanians sprinkle oil on their gardens?"

A: "To keep the guns from rusting."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 12:40:53 PM »
Oh, pReppers!

I thought this was another throwback spice thread.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
There are plenty of rumours that the IRA still has a lot of Armalites, Semtex, and even old SMLE's hidden even after they were all supposed to be "Decommissioned" back in 1998.

And Brexit promises to be even more of mess between Ireland and Northern Ireland then Britain and the rest of the EU.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 04:04:54 PM »
There are plenty of rumours that the IRA still has a lot of Armalites, Semtex, and even old SMLE's hidden even after they were all supposed to be "Decommissioned" back in 1998.

And Brexit promises to be even more of mess between Ireland and Northern Ireland then Britain and the rest of the EU.

I'd be shocked if they didn't squirrel some away.

Oh, pReppers!

I thought this was another throwback spice thread.

Anyone here grow their own paprika or cayenne peppers?
Formerly sumpnz

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 05:48:07 PM »
The tone of the Guardian article is amusing.  "Look!  We found some preppers who aren't batshit crazy!" 

Probably because this kind of prepping fits their anti-Brexit narrative.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »
The pictures from the article just look like hurricane supplies.  Not years of food like I would picture.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 06:13:43 PM »
The pictures from the article just look like hurricane supplies.  Not years of food like I would picture.

I think that's normal prepping for something like the potential goods disruptions they're talking about. A weeks to months supply is probably a good call. If there were in fact disruptions, it wouldn't be "no food" but more likely, "sometimes food is on the store shelves and sometimes a shipment didn't make it" at least until Britain and its trading partners figure out whatever the new trading infrastructure is. I can't see it being a long term event. That is if anything happens at all. But I'm giving them credit for not wanting to follow in the footsteps of many Katrina survivors and running out of food in the first 12 hours. :)

If they were prepping for an EMP or something, then yeah, they could use more food and they're missing some other stuff too. Otherwise, were I emperor of America, I would mandate that every household kept at least two weeks of long shelf life food in their homes for emergencies. People who kept a month's worth or more would get a tax write-off. :)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 06:41:45 PM »
I think I could do six months here. I have a 24 #10 can stash of mountain house, couple that with the other stuff and I would be okay. Need to replenish the other stuff like the canned meat and butter, gonna be awhile financially. People that have no reserves fascinate me.

Brits ought to be more exposed to us. Skip the food, I am sitting here wondering how to more money to buy more cases of .22. like scrooge McDuck swim in the ammo quantities.
AKA Navy Joe   

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 07:03:42 PM »
"Everyday foods" in the cupboards and fridge are around a 4-6 week supply right now. Another few weeks on the 25lb bag of rice sitting in the kitchen. I figure between a few cases of MREs and a big dehydrated bucket 'O food, plus a couple of small cases of Mountain House I got on sale last year, I've got five months - six if I stretch the full meals, or depending on the time of year and what's in the garden (like pounds and pounds of potatoes) maybe a little more.

Right now all the emergency food except for the Mountain House is past expiration. For some years I was pretty good about pulling a few MREs a year and eating them when hiking or whatever, then replenishing when I emptied a case. I have slacked off on that. The bucket 'O food is one of those 20 year things (it might actually still be within dates, but it's close), though it, and the MREs have been through some non-optimal temperature swings over the years. I probably won't throw them out for a while, but will keep them as "emergency backup" emergency food, and stock up on a couple more dehydrated buckets with fresh dates. I think I prefer them over the MREs. MREs sound cool, but the dehydrated stuff with a 20-25 year shelf life is more practical.

That will either extend my dates or else leave me with the expired stuff to trade or give away, because if somebody didn't prepare, they can suck it and take their chances with the old stuff.  =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 08:09:48 PM »
On the Mountain House #10 buckets, is it just a big bucket of dried food or are there separate packs in there? 

My long life food is just a few weeks worth.  Been thinking of adding more of it this year. 

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 08:57:42 PM »
We just always have plenty. It’s our normal.
There are shelves in the basement stocked with home canned and store bought canned goods, 3 freezers and 2 refrigerators, and dry goods in the pantry. We don’t stock it and not use it. We use it all in rotation.
Brought home 1/2 a beef last week, venison, chicken, turkeys, pork loin, and some fish. Meat we have covered.
I always keep at least 4 weeks worth of dog food on hand.
And wines aplenty.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 09:04:23 PM »

And wines aplenty.

My whisky stash is getting low, I need to restock.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 09:10:50 PM »
On the Mountain House #10 buckets, is it just a big bucket of dried food or are there separate packs in there? 

My long life food is just a few weeks worth.  Been thinking of adding more of it this year. 

I'm pretty sure the #10 cans are not individual. The stuff I have I got at Costco way back in a 5 gallon bucket. It is various individual packets of breakfast and dinner style foods. They each say "4 servings", but as with most dehydrated food, for me at least, that means 2.

If you have enough people, the #10 cans are probably fine since they're resealable and you'll likely go through them well before anything goes bad. For 1-2 people though, I kinda like the smaller packages.

We've had these discussions before, and I'm big on "stuff I would eat anyway", so  I have things like canned beans and veggies, sacks of rice, etc. that are good for the "short" long term as my primary stash, and cycle through that as I would any other food I buy that I eat everyday. The dehydrated food is mostly last resort stuff specifically for the long shelf life and easy portability of a lot of servings. Though that Mountain House biscuits and gravy is pretty tasty.  :laugh:

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 10:27:36 PM »

I haven't opened one, but It's my understanding that once you open the can, you have about a week to use it all.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 10:37:53 PM »
I haven't opened one, but It's my understanding that once you open the can, you have about a week to use it all.

I wonder if you can vacuum seal it to extend that a little (assuming you have electricity for the vacuum sealer)?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
I just went and looked, the can of rice and chicken I grabbed is 12 servings. The pouches are more handy, I have a variety bucket that comes with like 15 and I jammed more in there along with one of those stowable backpacks. So the bucket goes with me a lot easier than 24 gallon cans. Typically with the oddball mountain House if I see a new variety I buy several retail, try one and store the rest. Builds a little stockpile. The turkey dinner wasn't bad when I was alone in the woods for Thanksgiving.

I am kinda slacking. Usually I have a cooler in a kitchen cabinet with two twenty pound bags of rice, one open, one not and I get a new one when I open the second. Down to about 15 now.
AKA Navy Joe   

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 09:09:21 AM »
I am shocked that the EU is "allowing" Great Britain to exit.  I'd imagine the EU constitution would effort to power-grab much like the US constitution is asserted to have the authority to prevent secession. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

T.O.M.

• friend
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 08:05:22 PM »
I am shocked that the EU is "allowing" Great Britain to exit.  I'd imagine the EU constitution would effort to power-grab much like the US constitution is asserted to have the authority to prevent secession. 

It took a war for the US to settle(ish) that secession question.  Who exactly would the EU use to fight that war? We and the Brits have been the heavy hitters of NATO for decades.

The French, while capable, are small and the Germans have some cultural hang ups with bombing Britain.

There's not a ton the EU can do, other than threaten to stop and/or complicate trade, and they did that.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 09:39:56 PM »
the Germans have some cultural hang ups with bombing Britain.

LOL

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.