Author Topic: Best Civil War Leaders: North, South, & Honorable Mention  (Read 1124 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Best Civil War Leaders: North, South, & Honorable Mention
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:06:59 AM »
So, who do think was the best on each side?

IMO, the Civil War was the war with the most lessons to teach that went unheeded by those who followed in subsequent wars.

North: William Tecumseh Sherman
I think Sherman was the best on either side.  Lee was masterful and Grant was ferociously determined.  But, Sherman was the one who cracked the hard shell of the CAS and scooped out the rotten, gooey center.  He tore out the CAS' heart and stomped that sucker flat (all respect to Lewis Grizzard).

Sherman understood it was a clash of civilizations and waged a war on the Confederates' very civilization, not just its armies, when he had the opportunity.

South: James Longstreet
This was more difficult than the WTS pick.  Jackson's performance in the Shenandoah Valley was a masterful use of cartography and movement.  I give the nod to Longstreet, because he was the first to understand the nature of the changed battlefield and he was the first to put into practice the tactics to cope with those changes. 

HM: Nathan Bedford Forrest
His mounted infantry approach to move as fast as the transport would take him to the point of decision, allowed him to do more with lesser numbers than anyone during the war.

So, what think you?

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Waitone

• friend
Re: Best Civil War Leaders: North, South, & Honorable Mention
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 04:48:27 AM »
I think this one will head for the ditch in short order.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »
Yeah, if folks react like Obama fan-boys toward their particular favorite, I can see that happening.

I will be optimistic and assume folks will not act that way.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »
You can't make a list like that without including U. Grant and Robert E. Lee.  The Civil War was very traditional from a modern perspective.  You need generals like Grant and Lee or the whole effort would fail.  You could say the same thing about D. Eisenhower during WWII.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »
Let's keep things on an even keel in here, folks.

Just sayin'. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »
You do realize that 1008 officers were appointed to rank of general during the US Civil War? 425 CAS and 583 Union.

There were lots of good and bad leaders in the US Civil War but these are a couple of my favorites.

Union: Phillip Sheirdan first to use the scorched earth policy in the Shenandoah Valley 1864.

CAS: John Hunt Morgan with 900 soldiers he captured 1200 Union troops, ran raids to the rear of Union forces and when he was captured in Salinesville he and fellow officers were able to tunnel out of a prison in Ohio and make back south to fight again. Unfortunately he was killed in when his encampment was raided in TN in 1864.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »
North: William Tecumseh Sherman
I think Sherman was the best on either side.  Lee was masterful and Grant was ferociously determined.  But, Sherman was the one who cracked the hard shell of the CAS and scooped out the rotten, gooey center.  He tore out the CAS' heart and stomped that sucker flat (all respect to Lewis Grizzard).

Sherman understood it was a clash of civilizations and waged a war on the Confederates' very civilization, not just its armies, when he had the opportunity.

So, what think you?

War criminal  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »
And there we go.  Locked.

Chris