Author Topic: Best CO (Carbon Monoxide) detector?  (Read 3362 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Best CO (Carbon Monoxide) detector?
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 02:07:45 PM »
Right then!  Now that the obligatory thread drift is out of the way, I'll answer the OP's question!

I have one of each of these:

Kidde KN-COPP-B Front Load Battery-Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display

Kidde KN-COB-B Basic Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Electrochemical Sensor

I really like the digital readout of the first one.  Gives you some data, even before the alarm sounds.

The highest reading I've ever seen was 23 ppm.  This was caused by me accidentally leaving a burner on the gas stove on overnight on 'simmer'.  That level wasn't sufficient to trigger the alarm, though it was nice to see that it picked it up.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 02:21:08 PM »
Regarding the kids' ability to sleep through an alarm, check out linked alarms where, when one goes off, they all go off.  I don't know if any CO detectors offer linking, but the linked smoke detectors are pretty much the only thing my firefighter friend will consider.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 02:57:43 PM »
In my Rott's case it was more "bull in china closet".

Brad
Now wait.  Mythbusters tested the "Bull in a China Shop" myth and the bulls were actually pretty good and not knocking over everything. 
:D :D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »
Right then!  Now that the obligatory thread drift is out of the way, I'll answer the OP's question!

I have one of each of these:

Kidde KN-COPP-B Front Load Battery-Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display

Kidde KN-COB-B Basic Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Electrochemical Sensor

I really like the digital readout of the first one.  Gives you some data, even before the alarm sounds.

The highest reading I've ever seen was 23 ppm.  This was caused by me accidentally leaving a burner on the gas stove on overnight on 'simmer'.  That level wasn't sufficient to trigger the alarm, though it was nice to see that it picked it up.
I like that display.  Much better than the one I have.  I just ordered the plug-in version.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 04:05:24 PM »
We've got one with a digital display and battery backup.  (can't recall the brand at the moment and it's about 5- 6 years old so they probably don't make it anymore). 

It does wail like a dying banshee when we lose power.  :laugh:

Only had it go off once (new gas stove installed and the oven burner wasn't properly adjusted).  Once or twice I've seen it read "001" and then watched as it went back to "000".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.