Author Topic: Best cans under 100 bucks  (Read 1035 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Best cans under 100 bucks
« on: February 15, 2006, 02:33:21 PM »
Audiophiles!
Your opinion on the best cans under 100 bucks, please.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 03:07:56 AM »
Ooohhh, I thought you meant cans and I was going to say there is no way you're gonna get any of those worth a crap for under $100.

Greg

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 04:49:40 AM »
I thought the thread title refered to the slip-on motorcycle mufflers.

I have nothing useful to add.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 07:08:27 AM »
I was thinking it might be gentleman's club related.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 08:02:51 AM »
From http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-application/our-10-best-headphones/

"The Grado SR60 has long been the recommended entry point for folks looking for great sound on headphones. Maybe our favorite can in the Grado line, the SR60 likely delivers the best sound quality under $100. Sure its not the best looking pair of headphones, but your not going to mind with a noggin full of great sound."

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 11:19:37 AM »
Open: Grado 80's
Closed: Lots of new choices in the past few years, but I still stick by my Sony V6's.  Their build quality is far and away better than absolutely anything else you will find.  I can swing them over my head like a lasso and smash them into a wall without affecting anything.  I bought a new pair of Sony something or other's for a friend, the cord was like 1/3 the thickness of my V6's for the same price.  They were much more comfortable than my V6's and the sound quality was on par right up until the point where her baby kitten sliced right through the whole cord with a single swipe of her tiny paw.
In-the-ear: Ety's or Shure

Really though, spend some time on headwize or headfi to find what suits your taste.  I can't say enough about the V6's--sound quality is fantastic, they're low profile for kind-of superaural closed cans, and they're built like a tank.  To be fair, they can get hot, and if you have big ears they will be more supraural than super and a bit less comfortable.

Grados are great for rock, they're light, cozy, and look like you stole them from a soviet missile silo; but open cans aren't for everyone.  They leak a LOT of noise--my brother has a pair of 225's, I've heard a bunch of 60's, and I promise you that in a quiet room someone sitting next to you will hear everything just as loud as you do.  They let just as much noise in.  They are not walking around, studying in a library, or staying up late next to someone who's a light sleeper headphones.  If you plan to do anything but listen to them alone in your bedroom there are better choices.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 03:23:45 PM »
Yeah, I thought this thread was about cheap plastic surgery...  There's a funny and exceptionally filthy story about that for anybody who PMs me.

I second Sennheiser.  Some models can be easily had for $50-60.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 04:06:05 PM »
Azreal,

hmm... is there a PM function on this board?  I can't find it.

Anywho... send me the story, please. Cheesy
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 04:10:53 PM »
I have Grado HF-1s, they are supremely awesome, however they are like $300 now. Make the same topic at head-fi.com (my username is Daravon) for like 20 pages of reccomendations. However remember that what you plug the headphones into is at least as important as the headphones themselves.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine