Author Topic: Best Canned Linux Desktop Distro as of Today?  (Read 2112 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Best Canned Linux Desktop Distro as of Today?
« on: October 06, 2011, 05:03:40 PM »
I am going to wipe my wife's Win(what was the one between XP and 7?) laptop [4GB RAM and a decent 2 core intel processor (64 bit, IIRC, even though the OS was 32bit)].  Somehow it got ate up and I lost my Win(whatever) media.  Yeah, I could get an IT buddy to send me new media, but this way I get to play with a linux box in the house.   >:D

My previous for-home linux desktop distro go-to was Ubuntu, particularly, Xubuntu.  Anything better, these days?  I have played with it only at work the last year or so, just RHEL5 and CENTOS.

I'll want a live CD/USB to make sure all her laptop's HW is supported before install.

Also, how are the 64bit distros, these days?  I am going to dig into the HW to replace the keyboard which my daughter savaged, so I might as well bump the RAM while I am in there...if the 64bit drivers exist for her HW.

So, what say you, linux folk?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Best Canned Linux Desktop Distro as of Today?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »
I run fedora on all my computers at this point.

Also, this will help you get it setup with ease:  http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f15.html

I've also run ubuntu in the recent past, and found it to be very friendly.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 05:48:14 PM »
Can't help you. Ever since I got OS X running on a PC, i haven't messed with linux on the desktop

[tinfoil]
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »
I like Debian, it's what I run on all my clusters.  If you have experience with ubuntu, going to debian is pretty easy.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 07:04:45 PM »
My previous for-home linux desktop distro go-to was Ubuntu, particularly, Xubuntu.

Ubuntu is crap since they insisted on M$ Bob'ing the interface with their idiotic netbook toy WM that has no business being on a real computer, then removed Gnome2 so you're forced to use the worthless *expletive deleted*ing piece of *expletive deleted*it that I refuse to name.  It's too hard to fix once it's there, too, so Xubuntu is the way to go.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
On the other hand, I actually really like the new Ubuntu interface.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »
So, what say you, linux folk?

One of the Ubuntu variants, is the easiest and friendliest I'm aware of.  Its parent, Debian, can be a bit more challenging.

with their idiotic netbook toy WM that has no business being on a real computer,

On something I actually have to work with, I'm slow to change.  I've been experimenting with various Linuces and desktop environments on the old netbook.  Xubuntu is quite workable.  I could live with that easily.  Unity is "eh".  The current version of KDE is bewildering to me.  Whatever desktop metaphor it's using, I cannot make head nor tails of it, which means it would probably utterly fail the "mom test".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:26:11 PM »
I like the plain ol' command line.  A close second is the Blackbox WM. 

Chris

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
You have a notebook that you want everything to work with? Go with Ubuntu.

I have the latest with Unity on my notebook. I could live without it.

Edubuntu still comes with the classic desktop. You would just need to drop any education packages you didn't want and then you can add anything you want. Keeping the ladybug background is optional.

They seem to still be having a few problems with the 64 bit. I haven't had any problems with the install of 10.10 I have on one system, but I don't use it very much. All other systems I have set up have had X86 put on them.

My next desktop with a lan card will be Debian. Drivers and stuff take a bit of work with a straight Debian install. But it is very doable. Ubuntu just made it easier.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 09:21:15 PM »
My next desktop with a lan card will be Debian. Drivers and stuff take a bit of work with a straight Debian install. But it is very doable. Ubuntu just made it easier.

And yet, oddly, Debian was the one that popped up a message to let me know that the battery on my Dell had been recalled.  Apparently it recognized the model number or something and extrapolated from that, since it was the first boot after a new install.  Nice feature, too, since it got me a brand new battery free for a used machine that was at less than 1/3 of original battery capacity when I bought it.  Whatever bit of software caught that apparently isn't in Ubuntu by default, since I'd already tried and rejected Ubuntu on that one for whatever reason.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 09:31:26 PM »
I will recommend against Ubuntu out of spite, because I don't like them anymore due to their breaking of things for ego reasons. They should be punished for their impudence.

There are other ubuntu-based distros that are supposed to be good like Mint and Pinguyos. I would try those or Debian.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »
I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on this laptop and I can't complain.  It works reasonably well.  I don't use Linux on the desktop much, but Ubuntu is where I'd start.

One thing to note:  If you've only got 4GB of RAM and don't plan on going any higher I'd just stick with a 32 bit OS install.  It'll cover the RAM and if you want to do Flash on 64bit there's some monkeying around you have to do with getting a 32bit version of browsers that'll talk to the binary-only plugin right.  I tried doing that a year or so ago when I brought this laptop online and hated it.

Debian's alright.  I'm actually using that on my cash register test systems right now, but it does tend to lag behind everybody else.  Their 'stable' branch can be years out of date it seems and going to the testing or unstable branches has bit me in the arse a few times in the past.  Plus you have to monkey around with adding repositories if you want to get anything "non-free" which is anything that violates their OSS principles.  I see merit in that, which is why I like it for my registers that only need to run the basics, but I don't think I'd like to try it for a desktop.

I could be wrong though.  I used to play with this stuff a lot more than I do now.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 11:52:15 PM »
Yeah, looking at Mint.

I would like to try mint, but they don't produce a canned version that is both 64bit and uses LXDE desktop:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

I can see their reasoning for not offering 64bit LXDE Mint, but that would be my preference.

I'd have to run Gnome in Mint.  Not a chore, I just am not so enamored of the fancy desktops and resent their CPU and RAM hogging.  I like discrete tools that do their jobs well.

I can still download Xubuntu.  Lubuntu, using the LXDE desktop, will be released on 13OCT and be officially part of the Ubuntu family.

GigaBuist:

Good advice on the 32bit & flash deal.

Oh, just got the spec on her lappy:
Operating System C1 2
 Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (SP1, 64-bit version)
Processor and Chipset3
Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology featuring:
 Intel® Coreâ„¢ 2 Duo Processor P8400
o 2.26GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB
 Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
 Intel® Wi-Fi Link 5100AGN (802.11a/g/n)4
Memory5
 Configured with 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM (both memory slots
may be occupied). Maximum capacity 4096MB
Storage Drive6
 320GB (5400 RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive

Graphics9
 Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with 128MB-
1342MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 01:12:56 PM »
I use Ubuntu, but with straight up Gnome as the interface, not that silly new Unity crap.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »
Someone want to detail their problems with Unity? Then perhaps strike off the ones that 99% of desktop users are never going to notice.

I'll start:

You have to install compiz manager to stop the launcher auto-hiding. Annoying.

That's what I've got.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »
Someone want to detail their problems with Unity? Then perhaps strike off the ones that 99% of desktop users are never going to notice.

Unnecessarily bloated and it's hard to find the apps that aren't in the launcher.  Fine if all you ever use is a web browser, email client and a word processor, but if you use more than will easily fit in the launcher on a regular basis, you're going to spend some time hunting.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
So, it's fine for most computer users. I've actually read quite a critical review of it since, and I can see that there are issues. However, for my day to day tasks, once I'd pinned what I need and sorted out autohiding, I barely even notice Unity. Might show it to my mum over the weekend, if she can open the browser and the word processor then it's usable by most people. Bloated isn't something that means very much to people who have 250+gb hard drives.

The reason that tablets are selling is that most people need little more than the functionality they provide, self-proclaimed power users make up a tiny percentage of computer users, and actual power users an even smaller portion. Unity is somewhere between a tablet like approach and a recognisable desktop.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
Bloated isn't something that means very much to people who have 250+gb hard drives.

No, but it does mean something when it takes as long to start up their new 2.4GHz, 4G system as it did to start up the 233MHz, 64M system they replaced with it.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 03:59:50 PM »
People generally live with that, they install so much crap on a windows machine and that ends up taking masses longer to boot than any ubuntu machine I've ever had. I know that doesn't sit well with those who like a rapid booting, tailor made distro, but again that's a vanishingly small part of the market. Generally, if you're concerned about endless configurability and boot times, Ubuntu isn't targeting you, which might feel like a betrayal of the traditional linux core, but they aren't particularly of concern to Shuttleworth.

I've been playing with it off and on for five years, messed around with puppy, mint, dsl and fedora too. I'm still part of Shuttleworth's target market because I don't know more than a handful of command line instructions (by heart, I've used dozens with google university's help), and Arch snobs still piss me off.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 06:34:53 PM »
I'm still using Ububtu. Unity Works on my netbook, primarily because I don't use too many app and it conserves screen space. For a real computer, I'd use 10.04 LTS. I haven't had any problems with flash on 64bit 11.04.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 09:00:21 PM »
I've used Gentoo and Arch.

I run Ubuntu. As for finding stuff in Unity, i've found it to be way better than Gnome-Do. Hit winkey, start typing what you want, it shows up. Way faster than navigating a bunch of hierarchical menus, especially in Gnome, where they frequently were arbitrary.

As for 64bit with flash, that used to be the case, but I've had absolutely no problems with the newest installs and flash.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 02:58:21 AM »
I run Ubuntu. As for finding stuff in Unity, i've found it to be way better than Gnome-Do. Hit winkey, start typing what you want, it shows up. Way faster than navigating a bunch of hierarchical menus, especially in Gnome, where they frequently were arbitrary.

That's all fine and dandy until you forget the name of some app that you only need a couple of times a month.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 05:53:55 AM »
I haven't used a Linux gui to do anything other than run multiple terminal windows in years, so maybe I'm missing something...

Why don't you people who hate the new WM just install another one?  It isn't all that hard and there are a lot of neat ones out there besides what came with Ubuntu.  For a lightweight WM, I like Blackbox.  Easy to configure, uses very little resources, and visually clean.

I thought the whole point of Linux was a lightweight, but powerful system.  You guys are obsessing over the window dressing like a bunch of Mac fanbois.   [popcorn]

http://blackboxwm.sourceforge.net/

Chris

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »
I haven't used a Linux gui to do anything other than run multiple terminal windows in years, so maybe I'm missing something...

Why don't you people who hate the new WM just install another one?  It isn't all that hard and there are a lot of neat ones out there besides what came with Ubuntu.  For a lightweight WM, I like Blackbox.  Easy to configure, uses very little resources, and visually clean.

I thought the whole point of Linux was a lightweight, but powerful system.  You guys are obsessing over the window dressing like a bunch of Mac fanbois.   [popcorn]

http://blackboxwm.sourceforge.net/

Chris

That is how I use linux at work.  That won't be how my wife uses it on her laptop or how many folks use their machines.

For a few years, Ubuntu had a product that tied it all up in a neat bow.  Maybe they still do, though I hear Mint is the answer, nowadays for the "install it and run" crowd. 

Recall the topic of the OP: "canned linux," not "from scratch" or "tweaked to perfection."
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »
That's all fine and dandy until you forget the name of some app that you only need a couple of times a month.

It's fairly good at guessing. Hit winkey, type in spreadsheet, LibreOffice Calc shows up. Type in Photo and Picasasa, Gimp, Shotwell all show up.

I mean, of course, to each his own, that's the great thing about Linux. I think you're being overly critical of Unity because it doesn't fit your workflow, though, and I'm pointing out that it can work for a lot of other people.