Author Topic: Best concert you ever attended?  (Read 19777 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Best concert you ever attended?
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 06:19:24 AM »
very difficult question to answer, the 1st to come to mind was The Clash on Broadway in the early 80's
but I also saw the Ramones at their hottest in the late seventies. ( it was at a party in the east village, they were great)

Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys and black Flag
all on the same bill, my shoulder was permanently disabled at that show and, well, other stuff I cant mention happened. :cool: :cool: :cool:

A Zappa Halloween concert at the Felt forum, we had a mini protest that really confused the NYPD we were all chanting "titties and beer"  with the younger cops telling us "finally a protest we agree with"

Two different Dylan concerts spring to mind as well one during the Rodney King riots and another on sept 13 2001, you could feel the tension in the air on both of those nights.

Michelle Shocked taught me to play some songs when I was learning to play guitar, and having her invite me onstage with her during her early tours was really nice.

I got paid 50 bucks a day to be in the David Bowie Tin Machine video ( the first one ).

Peter Tosh in Central Park.

A lot of early hardcore punk shows were really awesome but there were so many, I was getting in free so I saw many shows week after week, day after day. Fear, Bad Brains,Reagan Youth, Black Flag, Kraut, Teen Idle,Agnostic Front, Cro Mags, Crucial Truth, War Zone, the raddicts, nausea, to many bands to even remember.

Its to close to call, some of the Clash shows, most of the Bad Brains and early Ramones are kind of tied.

In the mid eighties I was part of the NYC east village scene, all kinds of musicians and other artist would hang out in Tompkin Sq Park at night and there would be lots of jamming  for instance one time Ivan Julian ( of Richard Hell and The Voidiods),   a guy from a now unknown ( great ) band called the cigarettes Michelle Shocked, me and some other guy jammed to a bunch of Hank Williams tunes that I had recently learned  - they were all really nice to me as I was just learning. does that qualify as a concert? We were only entertaining ourselves.

I used to busk in the east village too, playing whatever I felt like, sometimes making great money other times all night for a cup of coffee.....

Come to think of it, the last few yrs I hardly play much at all, I want to start doing it again but A: no one to jam with B: Its like taking lessons from Sgt York and only having cub scouts to shoot with when I do find folks to jam with, I'm not saying I'm a great guitarist, far from it I cant read music and only know chords really - but jamming with folks who's interest go from the Rolling Stones to Dylan, Hank Williams and the clash is difficult nowadays. Its enough to get me interested in going back to NYC if they would only accept the gosh dang Constitution and stop discrimination against gunnies.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 06:40:47 AM »
Worst I've seen is Smashing Pumpkins. Lousy phoned-in performance.

LOL, me too, you just reminded me, saw the bumpkins at the reopening of Filmore West - they were terrible so I started razzing them yelling "monitors" ... try it sometimes - it drives musicians on stage bonkers.

He stopped the concert, said "that guy is right!" ( meaning me) really loud, then fired the poor schmo working the sound system, man I felt terrible for the guy - the lead singer having a tantrum on stage yelling "I refuse to perform with that blank blank there, fire him NOW!"

I kept my mouth shut after that, but they still really stank. The lead guitarist from Metallica was hanging out in the crowd and no one but me recognized him and I just nodded hi to him. I wish now I had started talking to him as I'm now a big fan ( I wasn't back then )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012, 08:51:47 AM »
I lived just north of Dallas in 1986, and tried to goto this concert

Must have been about that same time, because Leon passed away not too long after that.

This wasn't a "concert" exactly, but just him playing in a church service with a couple other guys.  Not more than a 100 people in the whole place.

I can't remember the exact year ... maybe 1985 because I don't think our twins were born yet  ???

His (young) widow bought a little cabin rental resort in the area, and we got to know her somewhat but Leon passed away while we were in Colorado Springs for a year or so :(  I actually did a few odd jobs for her now and then.  That's about the closest I've knowingly come to any "celebrities."
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
The absolute best by far, Dire Straits on the Band of Brothers Tour, late 80s at Red Rocks.

Worst: The Who at Folsom Field, also late 80s.  Daltrey had to use female backup singers because he couldn't hit the highs anymore, and they were WAY too loud.  We had to go inside the box seats to get away from the noise.

Most obscure: Either the Strawberry Alarm Clock (Incense and Peppermint) at the college center in '68 or '69, or Kenny Rogers and the First Edition at City Hall about the same time.  The college augmented the cost of both bands, so I think the tickets were $1.50.

OTOH, there was the high school band concert when my daughter was a junior where she played the piccolo obbligato on The Stars and Stripes Forever.  That was pretty good too, for different reasons.

Yes.  My oldest daughter played number one flute for the Pueblo Youth Symphony when she was a senior.  That means she was the best HS flute player in the city that year, out of seven high schools.  I was a proud daddy with empty pockets.  I made sure she had the best equipment and instruction since the third grade, since she really loved playing.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »
LOL, me too, you just reminded me, saw the bumpkins at the reopening of Filmore West - they were terrible so I started razzing them yelling "monitors" ... try it sometimes - it drives musicians on stage bonkers.

He stopped the concert, said "that guy is right!" ( meaning me) really loud, then fired the poor schmo working the sound system, man I felt terrible for the guy - the lead singer having a tantrum on stage yelling "I refuse to perform with that blank blank there, fire him NOW!"

I kept my mouth shut after that, but they still really stank. The lead guitarist from Metallica was hanging out in the crowd and no one but me recognized him and I just nodded hi to him. I wish now I had started talking to him as I'm now a big fan ( I wasn't back then )

"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
...he Strawberry Alarm Clock (Incense and Peppermint) at the college center in '68 or '69, or Kenny Rogers and the First Edition...

My God, I can't imagine which would be worse. And we were paying $2.50 to $4.50 for acts like Led Zeppelin and Hendrix. I think you got ripped off.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »
LOL classic!!

A Leonard Cohen concert I went to on Broadway was incredible, also saw Tom Waits on Broadway - a remarkable show.

Talking Heads in the mid eighties in NYC as well as many of the Grateful Dead shows I've been to have been awesome.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 03:16:53 PM »
My God, I can't imagine which would be worse. And we were paying $2.50 to $4.50 for acts like Led Zeppelin and Hendrix. I think you got ripped off.

:cool:

that must have been freaking awesome.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »
Hot Tuna

When those guys were touring with Papa John Creach - man - those were great great shows.

Ah I remember now, the memorial concert for Jerry Garcia or Bill Graham ( I was kind of in an altered state )

Had Fogerty of CCR jamming his tunes with the dead, Santanna, Hot Tuna, and a slew of others - that was great too.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2012, 03:32:45 PM »
My God, I can't imagine which would be worse.

Well, it was prom night, and the choices were Strawberry Alarm Clock in the student center or Nelson Riddle in the Ballroom.  =|

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »
Well, it was prom night, and the choices were Strawberry Alarm Clock in the student center or Nelson Riddle in the Ballroom. 

That makes more sense.

My buddy and I went to a club outside Chicago to meet some friends of his. The band playing was Friend and Lover. You may remember their hit, "Reach Out In the Darkness".  [barf]

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2012, 11:33:37 PM »
Molly Hatchett... got to spend a couple minutes at a bar in Roanoke, Va. between sets with Danny Joe Brown. Bought him a shot of JD. 1987? Hell of a nice guy. R.I.P.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2012, 01:43:48 AM »
Blues Traveler in 2002.  I met John Popper and the rest of the band before the show. He gave me a signed harmonica.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »
s'only rock 'n roll
But I like it...

Best? Skynyrd 1977 San Diego, I believe it was the first show of the crash tour. Them boys was good back then. Worst? Skynyrd 2010 ish with the wrong van Zandt at the helm chewing gum the whole time and just going through the motions for the paycheck.  [barf]

Tull's "Songs From the Wood" tour was good. Didn't like the "A" one with the jumpsuits. He looks like a pirate with his do rag these days. Arrrrr....  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »
Best tune Molly Hatchet ever did - "'Gator Country".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFxkKd70uKg

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »
How about "after the show"? Backstage passes? Recollections?

Greg Allman - *expletive deleted*
Dicky Betts - very nice guy
(saw them in Austin at "The Back Yard")
Danny Joe Brown - Nice guy, as mentioned before
Ed King - Incredibly sociable guy
Gary Rossington - stand-offish
Slash - well spoken, approachable
Robin Zander - very quiet. almost "frightened"
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:33:05 PM by grislyatoms »

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2012, 05:05:12 PM »
Oh, and the guys from POCO are rather friendly as well. If you ever meet Rusty Young, he'll seem like your next door neighbor. The good kind. Friends with Paul Cotton on Facebook.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
We winter in Key West and Paul Cotton lives there, at least in the winter, and plays and sings around town occasionally.  He was playing with some guys at Hogs Breath a couple years ago and had a chance to chat him up.  I called my brother who is a POCO fan and he and Paul talked a bit on the phone.  A couple months ago he was playing at Schooner Wharf for a benefit and at the Catholic Church for another.  Still pretty good imho and he enjoys playing here and there.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2012, 10:13:17 AM »
POCO. I photographed a concert they did at the Fox Theater in St. Louis for a local publication back in the mid-80s with Jonathan Winter and Head East, IIRC. All very decent guys and we hung out backstage at various times during the show telling lies and laughing. 
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2012, 12:26:10 PM »
Rusty Wier at the Saxon Pub in Austin on a couple of occasions.  RIP Rusty.  You are missed.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2012, 12:32:18 PM »
Back when I lived near Anchorage 30+ years ago, a bunch of us would somewhat regularly go to a little place to see/hear "Dr. Schultz."

Too bad they broke up shortly after that  =(

I wish that I could get their only album on CD, but it is a collectors' item record only.  I had a pirated cassette copy but somebody broke into my camper and stole it.   :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2012, 07:10:56 PM »
Oh geesh, I wasn't saying POCO was the best concert I'd ever attended, was merely commenting on the posts directly above mine.

Couldn't really say what best was, would be comparing apples to oranges given the eclectic nature of my music tastes. Worst was Neil Young (also at the Fox), who sat on a stool for two hours and never looked up from his guitar.
I fell asleep.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Claude Clay

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2012, 07:39:05 PM »
spring of 79 hendrix shows up in boston 2 hours late and "to fxxxedup to play, man"
but that fall the grateful dead had new rider open and at midnite jefferson airplane joined them...palyed till the sun came up. bb king opened for the almond brothers often and 89 dead concerts later i get to hear the hartford 1976 concert again.
me be happy.

1970 in kingston happened to pass a theater that said "Jimmy Cliff" tonite at 8 pm. my friend & i had dinner & went in for a suprise treat. ire, mon.

-------typo////////spring of '69
thank you ever so much for pointing that out to me =D

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:34:15 PM by Claude Clay »
would that i could type clearly and completely such that all the everything is clearly covered with no ambiguities. sadly, my 4th wish was denied.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »
spring of 79 hendrix shows up in boston 2 hours late and "to fxxxedup to play, man"

Yeah, being dead for ten years will make it difficult to put on a good show :P :cool: :laugh: :laugh:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2012, 10:58:20 PM »
Yeah, being dead for ten years will make it difficult to put on a good show   

Nine years. If it had been ten years in 1979, then I would have had seen his ghost in concert.