Author Topic: Best cell phone service provider?  (Read 6252 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Best cell phone service provider?
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 04:28:40 PM »
You got antennas on the mind lately, boy...  cheesy

Actually, I learned about that system while doing some stuff for our favorite Uncle Sam.  Not only are the denizens of this board addicted to their cellphones, so are various bureaucrats. Smiley

Chris

I guess I'm something of a luddite when it comes to cell phones.

That's why I have a candlestick phone.

HELLO? MABLE? CAN YOU GET ME ASTOR-3 729? THANKS!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007, 12:58:40 AM »

Reading this thread, and others like it, make me think that I'm really the only person on the face of the earth anymore who doesn't have a cell phone jammed into my ear 24x7x365.

I haven't even bothered to turn mine on in over a month.

Same here. I loathe phones. The only time I turn on the ringer on my home phone is when my car is in the shop, a pet is at the vet or I'm looking for more work. The only time my cell gets turned on is if it's an emergency. But that might change. Thanks to this thread, I checked and qualified for a free upgrade to a phone that has more gizmos.  I'll be playing with its toys instead of talking, though. It'll be my first camera phone.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2007, 03:23:17 AM »
I never understood the animosity towards cellphones.  Nothing says you have to answer the thing when it rings.  If I'm busy or don't want to be bothered, I frequently hit the "ignore" button when mine rings.  That is what voicemail is for.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 03:55:39 AM »

Actually, I learned about that system while doing some stuff for our favorite Uncle Sam.  Not only are the denizens of this board addicted to their cellphones, so are various bureaucrats. Smiley

Chris

Get one of these. They're $29. There's also a Bluetooth version.  grin

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 04:00:28 AM »
I've had Sprint in it's early days. It was OK, at best. Then, I switched to Nextel (before the Sprint merger). It was ok as long as one was in a metro area or near the interstates (except in the mountains). I kept Nextel for quite a while, until my bill rose inappropriately and without reason. I wound up getting Cingular for the daughter, whioch was spotty as far as coverage. My wife's business offered a pretty decent business deal through Verizon. She wound up with that and has been very happy with their service. Great coverage, few dropped calls, etc. My Father in Law has T Mobile and his coverage just plain sucks. It always has since he's had the plan. I, ultimately, switched to Verizon because Nextel/Sprint refused to work with me as a six year customer. I've been happy with Verizon, myself, so far.

As far as phone etiquette, I firmly believe that there has become NONE. I may answer my phone when/if I'm expecting an important call, but I usually let it go to voice mail if I'm in a crowded area or I find a discrete place to hold a conversation. Honestly, those direct connect phones annoy the hell out of me. Don't people realize that there's a "privacy" function?? I don't care to listen to both sides of a phone conversation while I'm in a store, restaurant, or just out and about. Furthermore, yelling into the phone doesn't help. It might have during the analog cell phone days, but those days are pretty much gone. Peopled NEED to show some common courtesy when using their cell phones!!!
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2007, 04:19:09 AM »
I never understood the animosity towards cellphones.  Nothing says you have to answer the thing when it rings.  If I'm busy or don't want to be bothered, I frequently hit the "ignore" button when mine rings.  That is what voicemail is for.

Chris
Chris, I never cared one way or another about phones until I saw an episode of some crime show where the cops foiled a murder-for-hire plot by having recordings of the hit-mans calls. The hit-man only used multiple pay phones, and I thought those couldnt be traced. This was a long time ago. I asked a buddy who worked for the phone company and he informed me that any and all phone conversations were recorded. The way he put it was, Just think about it. If you were the government and you had the ability to record everything anyone talked about anywhere, wouldnt you use it? A phone is a two-way listening device. And most people think theyre turned off just because they hung up. He mightve been full of it, but that burst my privacy illusion bubble and thats when I started actively disliking them. Theyre everywhere at work, and people use them to interrupt me with stupid issues right when Im in the middle of something important like being on the internet or winning at solitaire.  grin Now I hate them.
I dont hate my cell as much since its usually turned off and tossed somewhere until I need it. I do get annoyed at people who think it should be some sort of electronic tether to me.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 04:24:03 AM »
If you're worried about privacy with your cellphone, you can do stuff to it by using a USB cable and software diagnostic tools. Everything from looking through all the firmware to changing variables on installed programs (like having games expire in 100 years instead of the end of the month), to permanently disabling some functions with a firmware flash, if the phone supports it.

For instance, mine, I can be sure that when I said "disable GPS functions", they really ARE disabled, as in not active at all, not just not accessible by the user.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 06:36:41 AM »

Chris

Try getting on a crowded elevator when some jerk wad who is either stupid or hard of hearing has a converfight with someone on the other end.

Or when you're trying to have a nice date at a restraurant and the tool at the next table things that the Palm is his personal office away from the office.

Or when you're at a movie or a concert and someone's phone rings. Not only do they let it ring more than once, they ANSWER the damned thing.

The animosity is truly with the cell phone owner, but it gets projected onto the device.

Hum... Very much the tactic of the anti-gunners, come to think of it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 06:37:46 AM »

Chris

Get one of these. They're $29. There's also a Bluetooth version.  grin

Whoa! Speaker and ear piece on the SAME assembly!

What will they think of next!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 07:40:27 AM »
How much taller than your house is this hill?

Oh, maybe 50 to 75 vertical feet.  The hillside makes a great shooting range Wink

I checked into that stuff when we first moved out here, but at that time it would have cost about three grand.  No thanks, a landline will do.  rolleyes

Trouble is, my corner is about 50' short of the top of the hill, though my line does cross the ridge a little further down.  So I would have to get permission to set up an antenna up there.  (And provide power for it somehow I suppose?) That neighbor just passed away and the place is for sale, so who knows..?  Probably some dang Californewyorker will buy it Sad

And then I would want to know that it worked before buying all that stuff.

We had a CellOne phone on 15 day trial and it would barely work on one corner of our land, down by the county road.  We took it back and got a refund.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 08:03:48 AM »
Try build a passive radiator out of two antenna and a run of 50 ohm coax.  Pick up a couple of used antenna bases (HAM shops are great for this) and cut the whips to the proper length for your cell band (for the best results cut for full-wave).  Mount one in or near the house, grounded solid to something.  Mount the other at the top of the hill on a length of junk pipe stuck in the ground. With a little patience and resourceful scrounging you should be able to get out for under $50.  It won't be like having an active system but it should at least get you enough signal to talk.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 08:15:47 AM »

Chris

Try getting on a crowded elevator when some jerk wad who is either stupid or hard of hearing has a converfight with someone on the other end.

Or when you're trying to have a nice date at a restraurant and the tool at the next table things that the Palm is his personal office away from the office.

Or when you're at a movie or a concert and someone's phone rings. Not only do they let it ring more than once, they ANSWER the damned thing.

The animosity is truly with the cell phone owner, but it gets projected onto the device.

Hum... Very much the tactic of the anti-gunners, come to think of it.

I really want to get a hammer loop for my belt and carry a 21oz framing hammer and smash those asshat's phones and PDA's to little bits..

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2007, 09:13:40 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2007, 09:36:19 AM »
That's FANTASTIC!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2007, 01:33:16 PM »
Try build a passive radiator out of two antenna and a run of 50 ohm coax.  Pick up a couple of used antenna bases (HAM shops are great for this) and cut the whips to the proper length for your cell band (for the best results cut for full-wave).  Mount one in or near the house, grounded solid to something.  Mount the other at the top of the hill on a length of junk pipe stuck in the ground. With a little patience and resourceful scrounging you should be able to get out for under $50.  It won't be like having an active system but it should at least get you enough signal to talk.

Sounds like a good plan, if I understood what you are talking about.  Oh, the junk pipe - I'm good at making stuff out of that. Wink

Does the coax have to connect the two antennas?  We're talking maybe 200 yards from the house to the hilltop.

Does this system just reflect the signal down the hill ...?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2007, 03:48:28 PM »
Verizon has decent service, and they have never given me a problem. We've had them for several years.

I had to have them work on a phone that went FUBAR on be the other day ago. Some kind of software problem. They replaced it, no hassle.

They have always been very helpful when we have needed to block various services (like texting), or changing phone numbers. (I have a teenage sister who is an absolute idiot, long, long story)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2007, 07:30:06 PM »
Not really. I just got the Blade a couple of months ago, and it's digital-only. And one of their best phones.

Digital-only, yes.  But dual-band.  Especially in the ultra-thin phones, analog is being omitted.  It takes up space and is a battery hog-and those phones don't have a lot of battery to begin with.  So why would anyone want one?

Because they look cool.   rolleyes
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »
A dual- or tri-band phone with digital and analog capability should have you talking anywhere in the country.
Make sure you have a tri-band phone.
We had a duel band phone last year when my wife went on vacation.  In  San Fransisco CA and in Mass. her cell phone would not work in most areas.  That is when I found out about the tri-band phones.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2007, 04:23:43 AM »

Sounds like a good plan, if I understood what you are talking about.  Oh, the junk pipe - I'm good at making stuff out of that. Wink

Does the coax have to connect the two antennas?  We're talking maybe 200 yards from the house to the hilltop.

A passive radiator probably won't work in this instance.  The coax run is too long.  At the frequencies cell systems run, you're going to lose most of your signal in a 200yd run.  You're going to lose at least 3db per 100ft and you have 600ft of cable.  Every 3db you lose is a halving of signal strength.  In addition, coax that *only* loses 3db per 100ft at 900mhz at above is going to cost you about $1 per ft.  IIRC, 900mhz is the lowest frequency in use by cell providers.  Loss goes up as frequencies increase.  IMO, you're going to need at least one amplifier in that system.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2007, 05:00:34 AM »
Not really. I just got the Blade a couple of months ago, and it's digital-only. And one of their best phones.

Digital-only, yes.  But dual-band.  Especially in the ultra-thin phones, analog is being omitted.  It takes up space and is a battery hog-and those phones don't have a lot of battery to begin with.  So why would anyone want one?

Because they look cool.   rolleyes

Yup. And because I can slip it into a suit inner pocket or jeans pocket and it vanishes. I don't need to try to fasten it into a case on my belt, which I consider an egregious fashion error. (the beltpouch look says "IT technician" to me.) Smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2007, 05:47:33 AM »
Am I alone in wanting the following:

A phone that is a phone first.  No cameras, no multimedia, etc. 
A phone that has a real contacts list capability along the lines of PalmOS, but can also sync with Outlook and other PIM apps.  I want to carry name, address, multiple phone numbers, email, etc.
Text messenging capability that can handle a decent sized message (I get messages from my systems, plus I used text messages to send myself quick reminder notes).
Either a qwerty keyboard like a Treo or Blackberry or a touchscreen.
Size equal to or smaller than the Motorola Q

I love my Treo, it's just about perfect, but it's a bit big and heavy.  The Q looks good, but my coworker has one and doesn't like it.  It lacks a touchscreen, which I use a lot.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2007, 05:57:41 AM »

Sounds like a good plan, if I understood what you are talking about.  Oh, the junk pipe - I'm good at making stuff out of that.

Has to connect.  However, for some reason I misread yout original post and took the vertical distance you gave as horizontal distance.  I defer to what Chris said about cable loss.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2007, 06:09:11 AM »
Sounds like a good plan, if I understood what you are talking about.  Oh, the junk pipe - I'm good at making stuff out of that.
Has to connect.  However, for some reason I misread yout original post and took the vertical distance you gave as horizontal distance.  I defer to what Chris said about cable loss.
Brad

Hum.  I just reread everything and realized I may have made some assumptions that aren't necessarily correct.  If the signal on the other side of the hill is strong enough and you can acquire/build antennas with enough gain, you don't have to run that much cable, just enough to get the antennas into position.  If you own the hill, you could probably put a high gain yagi pointed towards the nearest tower up top and run some cable to position the other antenna (high gain yagi or similar) where it could point to your house.  I assumed you'd want the antenna AT the house, which really isn't necessary.

The nice thing about this is that you can build it all (except for any cable you need) with "stuff".  The antennas can be made with something as simple as broomstick for the beam and welding rods for the elements.  I built a 3 element yagi for 144mhz using 1/8" rod from the hobby shop and PVC for the beam.  I soldered the coax directly to the driven element.  It worked quite well.

Chris

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2007, 06:19:26 AM »
I use Verizon, mainly because I get a discount through work. No complaints, other than the spotty reception at my work area. (I am in the basement under 7 floors of rebar, concrete, and pipe. I am not surprised it doesn't work down here)

Works just fine everywhere else.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2007, 06:33:31 AM »

I assumed you'd want the antenna AT the house, which really isn't necessary.

Hmmm...  if he was running something high-gain and very directional, he could probably get away with two close-proximity antenna locations as long as they gave him line-of-sight to the intended targets.  Heck, they could possibly even be mounted on the same pole if the geography would cooperate.

Brad
-HankB