Author Topic: Question about chainsaw chains  (Read 9365 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Question about chainsaw chains
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 05:20:41 PM »
I'm in Texas; been cleaning up the back lot of my parents' place that has some storm-downed trees.  Anyway, been using my dad's chainsaw and want to get him some new chains from where I ordered some from last year.  He is using Stihl 26RSC74 chains.  I can decode everything in that part number except the 'C'.  (.325" x .063" x 74 links, "rapid cut" chisel chain.)

Any ideas what the RSC means, as opposed to just RS?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 06:50:58 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 05:49:02 PM »
"Comfort" apparently, but I have no clue what that's supposed to mean relative to a saw chain  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 06:00:07 PM »
Found it ...

Rapid Super Comfort
Very low vibration high-performance saw chain for professional use in felling and harvesting timber. Good positioning, very smooth cutting and low tendency to chatter. Cutting performance and use is similar to Rapid Super or Rapid Micro. The special design with a bevelled cutter heel ensures that less vibration is transmitted to the guide bar and the operator.

=)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
Thanks.  I was pretty sure you would know, or know where to find it.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »
Thanks.  I was pretty sure you would know, or know where to find it.

There's this thing called "Google"  =D

I used Oregon chain most of the time, so those were the numbers I knew: 72LP etc ...

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 08:33:43 PM »
There's this thing called "Google"  =D

I used Oregon chain most of the time, so those were the numbers I knew: 72LP etc ...

Here's the document I was looking at:  http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdfs/SawChainSelection.pdf  Also was looking at stihlusa.com instead of stihl.com  :facepalm:

I use Oregon chains; the professional chain when available.  I'm going to order a couple of Oregon 22LPX74's as a substitute for the Stihl 26RSC, and a 72DPX70 for his bigger saw for cutting dirty wood that's on the ground.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Now what about spark plugs
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
I ordered a few saw chains and plastic wedges for my dad, and a couple of chains for me.  (I gotta take the chains out of their boxes to get them to fit in a flat rate box, so I'm putting them in baggies and sending the folded empty boxes along.)  

I also ordered me a spare NKG BPM7A sparkplug.  I didn't *need* a sparkplug, but I think my saws still have their original 20-year-old plugs.  :doh:  They sent me a Bosch WSR6F.  It looks like it cross-references OK, but I can't tell if it's the right heat range.  Does that really matter on a saw that's seldom used for more than a half hour at a time?  Even if it is totally unusable it's not worth sending back, or even calling them about it, cuz it only cost $2.
"It's good, though..."