Author Topic: Bought a bench-mount chainsaw sharpener  (Read 1127 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Bought a bench-mount chainsaw sharpener
« on: September 03, 2011, 08:11:15 PM »
I've given up trying to sharpen a rocked chain by hand.  So I bought one of these using a $20 off coupon I had.  It's a knockoff of the Oregon model 511.  It gets pretty good reviews at the arboristsite forum.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200327449_200327449

There's just one problem.  I gotta find a place to mount it where there's no gunpowder nearby.  :facepalm:

Doesn't look like it will do square-chisel chains, but I can pretend they are round-chisel and sharpen them that way (I just have one square chain anyway, all the rest are round chisel and round semi-chisel.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Bought a bench-mount chainsaw sharpener
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:32:58 PM »
Doesn't look like it will do square-chisel chains, but I can pretend they are round-chisel and sharpen them that way (I just have one square chain anyway, all the rest are round chisel and round semi-chisel.

Actually, I think I have bought one or two square chisel chains from shops that they just sharpened once on the bench grinder.  Apparently, they got a roll of it by mistake and it was the only way that they could get rid of it.

When I was logging full time and really needed a bench chain sharpener, I didn't have any practical place to put it, nor even electricity most of the time.  :lol:

Living out of a pickup and a camper trailer is kind of "basic."   ;)

What I always wanted more than the grinder though was a bench mounted chain breaker and riveting tool.  I thought about trying to mount them somehow on a pickup bed or tailgate.  I got along and still get along with an Oregon punch & anvil, plus a ball peen hammer.  It ain't pretty but you can't really see the peened rivet very well at 13,000 rpm  =D

I run my chains for all they are worth.  The I have been using is worn to within about 1/32" of the guide marks.  So it has maybe one more sharpening left, and surprisingly no teeth have broken off yet.  I have taken a bunch of links out though, as it stretches and wears off the bottom of the tie straps/cutters.

I got another brand new chain and another bar with a brand new sprocket tip sitting in the toolbox ready to put on.  I'm just about out of the last 100' roll that I bought while still logging.  Then I'm either going to have to start paying store prices for loops or just buy another roll which will certainly last longer than I will.  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Bought a bench-mount chainsaw sharpener
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »
Any sharpener that can't be used while the saw is in motion is boring.  Boring, boring, boring.  When you can sharpen your blade while in use, inter-zombie, get back to me.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!