Author Topic: Diablosport "Predator" engine tuners  (Read 3538 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Diablosport "Predator" engine tuners
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
Anybody know about these?  Supposedly they can be used to set tune ECM parameters for more power, better gas mileage, and even use E85 in non-flexfuel vehicles. 

They have one for my 2001 Chevy pickup, which runs good but seems detuned from the factory.  Maybe just needs the engine calibrated for the E10 gas they sell up here.   Or it could be all snake oil, and end up a $300 toy (and I'd rather buy another gun for a $300 toy)  The truck does not have an ethanol sensor in the fuel line, and I assume the ECM wouldn't know what to do with it if I somehow put one in.

Lot's of testimonials out there.  They look like they were written by the Diablo marketing dept.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
Re: Diablosport "Predator" engine tuners
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 04:25:46 PM »
I don't know about that unit. I do have a Superchips tuner that I believe will fit your truck if you want to try something much cheaper.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 04:40:23 PM »
They work.  They aren't magic.  They work best in conjunction with other performance modifications (i.e. free flowing air intake, exhaust, underdrive pullies, and such)  They are still a "canned" tune that is making some assumptions about your driving and vehicle, so don't expect max performance. The best bet if you want the most from any given engine/vehicle is to take the vehicle to a dyno and have a custom tune made for your particular vehicle/engine combination.  An SCT or Diablo is usually part of that process.

In the end, any engine map is a compromise of many factors.  The factory tune tends to lean towards driving comfort, engine longevity and economy at the cost of acceleration and performance.  The canned performance tunes move that compromise the other way a bit.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »
I seldom drive this truck over 2000 RPM's -- and the torque doesn't kick in until about 3000. :facepalm:  The EPA rating is 15 city and 20 highway, and on more vehicles I get *better* than the EPA economy, but I have never gotten over 19 MPG, even on a long trip that was all highway at 60 MPH with overinflated tires.
I think the problem is poorly optimized engine parameters (tuned for more peak HP but less low-end torque), made worse by the 10% ethanol in the gas up here.  And the legislature is talking about mandating E15 or E20.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
And the legislature is talking about mandating E15 or E20.

[sarcasm]What's the problem? Surely you've got plenty of money to pay for the increased fuel use, the increased maintenance cost, and replace your vehicle every few years as is the American Way, right? [/sarcasm]
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »
I seldom drive this truck over 2000 RPM's -- and the torque doesn't kick in until about 3000. :facepalm:  The EPA rating is 15 city and 20 highway, and on more vehicles I get *better* than the EPA economy, but I have never gotten over 19 MPG, even on a long trip that was all highway at 60 MPH with overinflated tires.
I think the problem is poorly optimized engine parameters (tuned for more peak HP but less low-end torque), made worse by the 10% ethanol in the gas up here.  And the legislature is talking about mandating E15 or E20.

Yeah, a canned tune is going to tend to give you more power/torque at the upper end of the RPM band.  Some of the "towing" tunes will give you some torque down low, but they'll do it by dumping fuel and advancing timing at partial throttle tip in.

What are you looking for? More power low off the line, or better Highway mileage?  You can have one or the other. 

For better torque driving around town, you might try driving it a little harder.  I'm not real familiar more modern smallblock Chevy's, but I'd assume it redlines at about 6000-6500.  That's about normal for a modern V8.  Peak torque is gonna be about 3000, and very little at all under 2000.  They just don't have much guts that low.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »
I had looked at getting a tuner for my Mustang. Most would add about 20 horses. There's different tunes for different purposes.

Some of the tunes require 93 octane gas, which isn't a big deal around here but is in some parts. You'll need to store your factory tune as well so you can get it back to normal before you sell it.

I just didn't see 20 hp justifying the cost.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:47:19 PM »
Hit the Chevy truck forums.  Chances are there are simple, cost-effective mods (cold air intake, exhaust, etc.) that will get you more performance and efficiency for your dollar.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »
Here's a link to the Superchips tuner I have up for sale.

http://wethearmed.com/buy-sell-or-trade-general/superchips-tuner/

As you can see I haven't tried selling it very hard. Price would be lowered if you are interested.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »
That's bad.  Regardless of chip tuning, E-85 will royally doink up the fuel system of a non-Flex vehicle.  Think stainless steel plumbing from back to front.

Likewise, most Flex-Fuel vehicles, including my own, have a Fuel Composition sensor that determines what's coming out of the tank, from straight E-85 to straight gasoline, as well as the amount of water in that mix.  The real-time signal remaps the ignition and injection timing for the blend coming through the injector rails. (Top off 1/2 tank of gasoline with 1/2 tank of E-85, and the system makes amends for it...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"