Author Topic: Carry method while backpacking  (Read 20566 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Carry method while backpacking
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 12:54:02 PM »
Yeah, but will you do it, right now  ???

If one is concerned about defense, you take appropriate steps out of mindset.  If one isn't that concerned about it, I consider that mindset to be vulnerable anyways. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »
Packing a gun in a pack does seem a bit like purse carry.  It really is not on body, though the downside can be partially ameliorated via mindset and ingrained habit. Still, fall down an embankment and dislodge your pack and you are now disarmed, habit or no.  Maybe I fell down too many muddy embankments, though.

Also, am I the only one for whom the safepacker screams "gun."  Moreso than a fanny pack or shootme vest, which can be somewhat decoyed and are more common.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 05:28:43 PM »
Packing a gun in a pack does seem a bit like purse carry.  It really is not on body, though the downside can be partially ameliorated via mindset and ingrained habit. Still, fall down an embankment and dislodge your pack and you are now disarmed, habit or no.  Maybe I fell down too many muddy embankments, though.

Also, am I the only one for whom the safepacker screams "gun."  Moreso than a fanny pack or shootme vest, which can be somewhat decoyed and are more common.

I think the SafePacker screams gun to US because we recognize it. To Joe or Jane Schmoe, the reaction could just as likely be "Wow, what a neat phone/PDA/geegaw carrier". JMO.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »

If I fell down an embankment and got separated from my pack being disarmed is going to be the least of my worries.  That would mean both shoulder straps and a pretty herky waist belt got torn loose from my body.  If you think Safepacker screams "gun" you can always go with a camera pouch.  I see them all the time on people's waist belts and the only thing is screams is "camera"!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »
Fell and slid down many slopes in the service.  Became separated from pack a few times.  Never became separated from my weapon.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton