Author Topic: stupid computer question  (Read 784 times)

Bigjake

• friend
stupid computer question
« on: June 30, 2008, 05:00:14 PM »
I know I bug you computer literate folks frequently, but since my geek buddy passed on I'm a bit helpless.

So..

Any way to re-partition a hard drive without formating it?  Windoze keeps running out of space and I have plenty of room in other partitions....  Any reasonably easy way of fixing this?  Short answers welcome

I was hopping to avoid a complete format, but if that's the case, it is what it is.

thanks

Bigjake

old school

Re: stupid computer question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:03:16 PM »
I have read about that before at the Microsoft site. I think there are quite a few things you have to consider like what kind of partition it is. Most of the thread I have read on it suggest partition software. If you do a search you may be able to find a good one. I have never done it because it was just to complicated for me.
We now know who the real man is.

liquibyte

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 05:22:39 PM »
Partition Magic for the commercial app and GParted live cd or Parted Magic for the open source (i.e. you don't have to pay for it) options.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 05:28:59 AM »
Do a full backup before you try anything like this.

I just lost an entire partition doing something that shouldn't have resulted in data loss, but it did.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 03:34:03 PM »
Seconded on the partition magic thing.

And definitely back it all up if you can.... failing that, do make a rescue disk whenever Partition magic asks you if you want one.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour