Author Topic: Stupid Computer Question  (Read 602 times)

castle key

• friend
Stupid Computer Question
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:15:02 PM »
While doing something on the 'puter such as reading this board, the computer craps out and I need to start over. I click back into the internet and I get the question "do you want to report this obvious weakness in our programming?"

If I decide to "report" it, there is about a million lines of completely incomprehensible computer talk that describes what happened.

If I opt to "report" the problem, what actually happens?

Does some computer person actually figure out if something needs to be tweaked and implements the tweak?

Or is actually like the button to get the pedestrian walk signal which I don't think is really hooked up to anything.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Stupid Computer Question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 05:24:19 PM »
I figure it's nobody's gorram business what website I was viewing when something went wrong.  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

castle key

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »
I figure it's nobody's gorram business what website I was viewing when something went wrong.  :mad:

Guy I work with says, "Look at the pictures; don't go in the chatroom."
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:12:26 PM »
If I opt to "report" the problem, what actually happens?

The mumbo-jumbo you don't understand  does mean something to other people.  If enough people report the problem the stack of identical mumbo-jumbo will get higher and they'll be more likely to address the problem.

Virtually no software is really bug free.  It all has problems.  The real question is simply what is the mean time between incidents. If you can repeat an operation 900,000 times without failure, and on the 900,001th time it blows up, but 98% of your users never get beyond 100,000 operations does it really matter?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 08:34:43 AM »
I'd say if it's an infrequent problem, dont report it

if its frequent, and you care about it, get it reported.

Or switch browsers, uninstall/reinstall it, etc.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog