Author Topic: stupid freaking hughes net  (Read 1788 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
stupid freaking hughes net
« on: June 26, 2013, 02:05:29 AM »
Your modem is in a FAP state.
To ensure fair internet access for all HughesNet subscribers, Hughes maintains a Fair Access Policy (FAP.)   This policy establishes an equitable balance in internet access for HughesNet subscribers.   Hughes assigns a download threshold to each service plan that limits the amount of data that may be downloaded during a typical day.   The small percentage of subscribers who exceed this limit will experience a temporary reduction of speed.

great... in other words I cant get to my email...freaking jerks! I have not downloaded anything ever. no movies or vids or music...ever...what the freak...I am so freaking steamed I'm due to answer a freaking job offer plus was supposed to email this gal about a date...now both a potential employer and potential GF think I'm not freaking talking to them... aaarrrghhh :facepalm:

freaking moving outta this freaking cf...friggit!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
Re: stupid freaking hughes net
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 02:08:40 AM »
freaking 2300 hours NV time on a Tuesday night-how many freaking ppl can be on right now?? they are out of their minds...
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 02:11:42 AM »
Lol

FAP
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:05:12 AM »
FAP, huh?

Looks like Hughes Net knew what you were doing all along...   :O

Fappity, fappity, fap!

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fap
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Levant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »
Wild blue is worse. After 6 years of using about 25% of my plan I used an online backup service and went over by 50mbps on upload. They blocked me for 30 days. They know you're locked into them or you wouldn't use them in the first place.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 11:39:50 AM »
bwahahaha!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »
Wild blue is worse. After 6 years of using about 25% of my plan I used an online backup service and went over by 50mbps on upload. They blocked me for 30 days. They know you're locked into them or you wouldn't use them in the first place.

You got 50mbps upload on Wild Blue?  Impressive speed.

My understanding of all these rural hybrid satellite/dial-up systems is that upload goes through POTS, and download comes through satellite.  Your "upload" content is usually small stuff like an HTTP GET or POST request, while your download content is the large stuff on the page.  Downloads are high latency operations due to the satellite bounces involved, but for web browsing not a big deal (though sucky for games or for session-sensitive browsing or live streaming of audio/video).

But upload is usually under 50kbps for these, and download somewhere around 5mbps, from what I recollect about them.

Have they changed architecture to allow upload traffic through satellite rather than POTS?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
So ... fapping jokes aside, how are you posting on here if you can't get online?  Or was this in reference to a previous problem?

Is the "reduction in speed" so severe you can't use a low-bandwidth like email?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 11:47:26 AM »
So ... fapping jokes aside, how are you posting on here if you can't get online?  Or was this in reference to a previous problem?

Is the "reduction in speed" so severe you can't use a low-bandwidth like email?

They throttle it back so much it makes dialup look speedy. The only positive thing about hughesnet is it is only a 24 hr block not 30 days like wildblue
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »
They throttle it back so much it makes dialup look speedy. The only positive thing about hughesnet is it is only a 24 hr block not 30 days like wildblue
Fair enough, but it might be worth the crawl when the subjects are love and money.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
You got 50mbps upload on Wild Blue?  Impressive speed.

My understanding of all these rural hybrid satellite/dial-up systems is that upload goes through POTS, and download comes through satellite.  Your "upload" content is usually small stuff like an HTTP GET or POST request, while your download content is the large stuff on the page.  Downloads are high latency operations due to the satellite bounces involved, but for web browsing not a big deal (though sucky for games or for session-sensitive browsing or live streaming of audio/video).

But upload is usually under 50kbps for these, and download somewhere around 5mbps, from what I recollect about them.

Have they changed architecture to allow upload traffic through satellite rather than POTS?

Some people asked why I don't get satellite internet instead of DSL through the local phone co-op ...

Well, for working from home, sometimes I have to UP-load large files  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 11:11:06 PM »
sigh. ... I must be pretty sheltered, I had no idea.