Author Topic: Stupid cop tricks...  (Read 1714 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Stupid cop tricks...
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:37:41 AM »
...in which a weeping police officer, unable to deliver the coup de grace on a wounded deer, hands his service pistol to a bystander that volunteers to do the deed:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/06/daniel-zimmerman/wait-who-are-the-responsible-ones-again/#more-239409

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Stupid cop tricks...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 12:45:01 AM »
What's the facepalm part?  The fact that a cop was emotional or the fact that he trusted someone with a gun?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:11:08 AM »
What's the facepalm part?  The fact that a cop was emotional or the fact that he trusted someone with a gun?

If he can't wax Bambi, I don't trust him to wax a goblin.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:48:27 AM »
No LEO experience, but I think that's a few disciplinary worthy actions there.

Handing your sidearm to a stranger, allowing them to discharge it, and failure to disperse the crowd if only for the sake of safety.

I think this would get many officers fired, unless they were of one of the particular protected classes, or in one of the large urban districts where the union wields an unreasonable amount of power.
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »
I think this would get many officers fired, unless they were of one of the particular protected classes, or in one of the large urban districts where the union wields an unreasonable amount of power.

Or one of the small jurisdictions where the cop is the chief's nephew, cousin, or son-in-law.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:16:39 PM »
Or one of the small jurisdictions where the cop is the chief's nephew, cousin, or son-in-law.

If he's one of these, he'll be assigned to a new position out of embarassment.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »
"If he can't wax Bambi, I don't trust him to wax a goblin."

Oddly enough, I think I would have far less trouble wacking a person than a deer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »
I would rather have a sensitive cop for my local, who is there to keep peace among citizens, than Rambo/Fife ready to draw and harass every subject in the kingdom.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 10:13:23 AM »
Oddly enough, I think I would have far less trouble wacking a person than a deer.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 10:45:15 AM »
I would rather have a sensitive cop for my local, who is there to keep peace among citizens, than Rambo/Fife ready to draw and harass every subject in the kingdom.

Seriously, that's what you take away from this?

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
His department says he'll face disciplinary action "if the allegations are true":

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/02/indiana-police-officer-reportedly-too-distraught-to-kill-wounded-deer-handed/

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »

Typically, we call the EMTs even if we don't think the person has a chance to survive.  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 04:00:40 PM »
Seriously, that's what you take away from this?

Seriously, I see two big complaints.

Procedural - didn't disperse crowd, gave gun to stranger, wouldn't wait for person with CCW to retrieve personal revolver. I completely understand the legitimacy of these complaints.

Personal - doesn't have the fortitude to kill bambi, questioning manhood, whatever. I don't agree with this.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »
Seriously, I see two big complaints.

Procedural - didn't disperse crowd, gave gun to stranger, wouldn't wait for person with CCW to retrieve personal revolver. I completely understand the legitimacy of these complaints.

Personal - doesn't have the fortitude to kill bambi, questioning manhood, whatever. I don't agree with this.

I guess I don't see how his inability to euthanize an animal, or his embarrassing public lacrimation, make him more likely to respect your rights or less likely to draw his gun on folk.