Author Topic: Portland's mayor proposes ban on homeless camps in public  (Read 683 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Portland's mayor proposes ban on homeless camps in public
« on: October 25, 2022, 12:11:06 PM »
https://nypost.com/2022/10/24/portland-mayor-proposes-ban-on-homeless-camps/

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler has announced plans to ban unsanctioned homeless encampments in the crime-riddled city – calling the crisis “a vortex of misery for all involved.”

“The magnitude and the depth of the homeless crisis in our city is nothing short of a humanitarian catastrophe,” Wheeler said Friday. “We need to move our scattered, vulnerable homeless population closer to the services that they need.”

“Collectively, this is a vortex of misery for all involved,” he continued.

Might as well try to ban fornicating in a whorehouse.

(although he's not wrong about the "vortex of misery" part)

How many "sanctioned" homeless camps does Portland have?

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Portland's mayor proposes ban on homeless camps in public
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 05:49:04 PM »
He's proposing this after the city has literally turned into a cesspool of human waste and people actively avoid going downtown due to the homeless problem.

The more cynical part of me thinks this is an effort to forestall the lawsuit currently filed by a group of disabled folks against the city for violating the ADA by allowing people to sleep/camp/defacate/live on sidewalks.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 05:56:55 PM »
Move them to the lawns, both front and back, of everyone on the city council who voted to allow this *expletive deleted*it to start in the first place.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 08:40:50 PM »
Move them to the lawns, both front and back, of everyone on the city council who voted to allow this *expletive deleted*it to start in the first place.
That sounds like a good start.  I wouldn't be surprised if rental properties owned by city councilors are being affected also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JN01

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 03:09:45 AM »

Hell no.  They should have lots of space INSIDE their homes for those poor citizens.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 07:36:58 AM »
Hell no.  They should have lots of space INSIDE their homes for those poor citizens.

I don't want to be that cruel to the homeless
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 08:01:48 AM »
On a tangent, I just saw on the teevee that the Republican governor candidate in OR has taken a noticeable lead (possibly thanks to the third party candidate there). I also saw a couple of youtubz clips where the late night hosts were making fun of the OR counties that want to defect to Idaho. Once they bring in the late night nitwits to shill for them, it usually means they're in trouble. I don't want to jinx it, but I sure hope OR gets an R governor. The shrieking out of Portland would be 2016 epic.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 12:31:07 PM »
I sure hope OR gets an R governor. The shrieking out of Portland would be 2016 epic.

I'd bet that on a quiet night I could here it from here.
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 12:35:38 PM »
Shop owners better be stocking on plywood just in case. It will be 93% peaceful that night if that happens.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 10:54:09 PM »
On a tangent, I just saw on the teevee that the Republican governor candidate in OR has taken a noticeable lead (possibly thanks to the third party candidate there). I also saw a couple of youtubz clips where the late night hosts were making fun of the OR counties that want to defect to Idaho. Once they bring in the late night nitwits to shill for them, it usually means they're in trouble. I don't want to jinx it, but I sure hope OR gets an R governor. The shrieking out of Portland would be 2016 epic.

Christine Drazen seems to be doing a pretty good job of tacking to the center without outright compromising her earlier stances from the primaries (though I think she was one of the more centrist R candidates to begin with, so she didn't really have to tack all that far), and I think it's helping reassure independents. Her latest television commercial has a bunch of multicultural people talking about how they would normally vote D but are going for Drazen because we need a change. It's very Obama-ish in execution.

I'm not sure how much the independent candidate, Betsy Johnson, is actually spoiling the race for the D's. Simply given the how poorly D's are doing this election cycle it's possible she's pulling more from the D's than the R's, but she has a lot of crossover appeal, so it's hard to say. Personally, I'd have voted for Johnson if it looked like she was doing better than Drazen so long as it kept Tina Kotek out of office. Johnson seems pretty good on guns, at least (one of the attack ads on her run by Kotek accuses her of owning a machine gun and being A-rated by the NRA, and highlights that she voted against the Red Flag law).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth