Author Topic: Stabbed, Then Shot  (Read 770 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Stabbed, Then Shot
« on: February 01, 2022, 09:35:05 AM »
Man, this was an off-duty cop, but this could happen to anybody. The victim's wife, possibly because she was a cop's wife, seemed to know what to say on the phone with 911, but to no avail, apparently. The victim was first stabbed by the criminal, then shot by the responding cop.

https://idahonews.com/news/local/deputy-shoots-kills-off-duty-vancouver-pd-officer-who-fought-robbery-suspect-at-his-home
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Stabbed, Then Shot
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 09:53:33 AM »
Literally Blue on Blue  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 10:15:44 AM »
Lots of stuff to take apart on that one.  I hate to criticize the dead, but he was in his driveway with a gun trying to detain the guy.  The guy managed to stab him without being shot.  Then he was trying to get into the home and he still hadn't shot the guy.  Was his gun unloaded?  A taser would have been better if he had been willing to use it.  The cop who does use his pistol ends up shooting the wrong guy.   :facepalm:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 10:34:19 AM »
Then he was trying to get into the home and he still hadn't shot the guy. 

I don't know the laws of Washington state, but there may not be a castle doctrine law there.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 10:40:54 AM »
I don't know the laws of Washington state, but there may not be a castle doctrine law there.
He had been stabbed and the guy was trying to get into the house where his family was.  I would call that a credible threat of deadly force.  No castle doctrine needed. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 11:01:26 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 10:51:33 AM »
Lots of stuff to take apart on that one.  I hate to criticize the dead, but he was in his driveway with a gun trying to detain the guy.  The guy managed to stab him without being shot.  Then he was trying to get into the home and he still hadn't shot the guy.  Was his gun unloaded?  A taser would have been better if he had been willing to use it.  The cop who does use his pistol ends up shooting the wrong guy.   :facepalm:

Certainly there is a lot to deconstruct regarding why the criminal wasn't down, one way or another, before the on-duty cop showed up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 11:04:30 AM »
Certainly there is a lot to deconstruct regarding why the criminal wasn't down, one way or another, before the on-duty cop showed up.
I agree that there is a lot we don't know.  The knife may not have been visible until he stabbed the guy.  He also may have only just gotten to the front door when the police showed up.

Just thinking about the "What would I do in that situation" type analysis.  What is the best course of action?  What are the consequences for taking action, not taking action, or doing it early/late?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 11:35:49 AM »
He had been stabbed and the guy was trying to get into the house where his family was.  I would call that a credible threat of deadly force.  No castle doctrine needed.

He was also a cop, perhaps he was trying to avoid shooting someone and the media circus to follow.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 02:36:26 PM »
He was also a cop, perhaps he was trying to avoid shooting someone and the media circus to follow.
That occurred to me.  If that is the case, it didn't work out.  Hope his family can get through it ok. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 02:59:50 PM »
That occurred to me.  If that is the case, it didn't work out.  Hope his family can get through it ok.

I concur

Uranus is a gas giant.