Author Topic: New DSM to officially classify us all as crazy  (Read 3953 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
New DSM to officially classify us all as crazy
« on: March 13, 2012, 03:58:11 PM »
The newest edition of the DSM appears set to change the definition of Major Depressive Disorder to include anyone grieving over a major loss for longer than two weeks.

Let that sink in. Picture your spouse, or your child, or whoever you love most in the world. Imagine them dying, possibly in tragic circumstances. Think you'd be done grieving after two f***ing weeks? Apparently the folks writing the DSM think you should be. Actually, that's not true. They know people won't be, and have stated that they want this change so people can be diagnosed and put on meds faster, and their insurance will cover it.

My son died almost two years ago now, and I still grieve for him. Apparently I'm severely depressed, even though I'm happy and looking forward to the future. Just ridiculous.

http://drjoanne.blogspot.com/2012/03/relativity-applies-to-physics-not.html?m=1
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: New DSM to officially classify us all as crazy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »
Yep

I also worry about the continued over-diagnosis of PTSD, and the disability ratings that come with it. It won't be too long until merely being in counseling for post-combat issues makes one a prohibited person
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 04:07:25 PM »
. . . they want this change so people can be diagnosed and put on meds faster, and their insurance will cover it.

DING DING DING - WE HAVE A WINNER!

Just like when they determined that being a drunk is an illness, they're setting this up to be a recognized medical/psychiatric condition, so the pill-pushing quacks can get their $$$.

(Wanna bet that if someone isn't still grieving after two weeks, they'll push for a diagnosis of "alienation" or "loss denial psychosis" or some other such drivel?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:46:57 PM »
But didn't they take teh gey off the DSM? Missed out on some cash there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 04:49:12 PM »
I wonder if that includes my ball team getting bounced out of the playoffs the last two seasons...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »
Two  weeks after my first miscarriage, a psychiatrist told me that I had a major underlying personality issue because I was still sad about it.  One should be upset about a miscarriage, he stated, for no more than a day or two.

I decided he shouldn't be my psychiatrist for more than a day or two.  Freak.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Some of us are human. and the Borg is really concerned about that.  Seriously- the bastards really do take "Brave New World"and  "1984" as a action plan. Along with all the rest of the dehumanizing Marxist crap.

The loss of a child is something that SHOULD leave an ache in your heart forever. Yeah, time will heal but there is always a scar there.
 I am so sorry about your son-May you find peace.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 11:30:03 PM »
I know a few people who went on to become psychiatrists, including one who was a co-member of my high school tennis team and who went on to the same college I attended. He is now a psychiatrist in California.

The thought of him determining whether or not other people are "normal" is frightening.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 02:00:40 AM »
The thought of him determining whether or not other people are "normal" is frightening.

Takes one to know one.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 02:02:32 AM »
I wonder if that includes my ball team getting bounced out of the playoffs the last two seasons...

What about the results of the last election?  Or the probable choices in the next one?

Is it Major Depression or Explosive Anger?  Which one gets better drugs?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »
Two  weeks after my first miscarriage, a psychiatrist told me that I had a major underlying personality issue because I was still sad about it.  One should be upset about a miscarriage, he stated, for no more than a day or two.

I decided he shouldn't be my psychiatrist for more than a day or two.  Freak.

:O  :mad:

I think I'd be in jail if someone had told me that, two weeks after...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 11:37:27 AM »
What about the results of the last election?  Or the probable choices in the next one?

stay safe.

Depends on wether you prefer uppers or downers, I guess.

This is just another way to give people an excuse to not function because "i'm sick"
and has the added bonus of insulting the memory of what was lost.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »

stay safe.

Post-election selection trauma.

http://www.newshounds.us/2004/11/21/post_election_selection_trauma.php
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »
"Which one gets better drugs?"

Silly boy.

EVERYTHING gets better with drugs...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 02:25:35 PM »
you guys say "crazy" like its a bad thing...

had a rehab counselor throw me a dsm and say.  "read this see how many pages you can find yourself on"
seven   with a couple possibles
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »
you guys say "crazy" like its a bad thing...

had a rehab counselor throw me a dsm and say.  "read this see how many pages you can find yourself on"
seven   with a couple possibles

Only seven?

And on which axis?

It's not polite to brag, but pages 135 - 563 in the DSM-IV had my picture in the section on symptoms/examples. =D  :O  :angel:

stay safe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »
"At the madhouse, the only difference betweent the psychiatrist and his patients is that the psychiatrist goes home at night."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
Labels, labels, how the establishment loves labels!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 09:39:11 PM »
I still get sad about our daughter who would have been 30 this year.

May is a bad month.  I'll get really depressed for apparently no good reason, and then look at the calendar and figure it out.

Also, anybody who can look at the current events in the world today and not get depressed is crazy  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin