Author Topic: Scope advice...  (Read 3213 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Scope advice...
« on: June 22, 2008, 02:28:22 AM »
I need scope advice...I know NOTHING about scopes...I have a .22 bolt action....it's nothing special...it sat in someone's closet for a bit over a million years...they went to move, found it, gave it to someone else...they had it for about a million and a half years...they forgot they had it...I ended up with it...I use it at about 50 yards in my backyard to hit a torso sized steel plate.  I can pretty much do it with my eyes closed at this point...

I took it out to the 100 yards range at my club...it has a cheapo Walmart scope that my Dad paid $14.94 for on it...I had a softball sized grouping at 100....I'm looking to tighten it up a bit....It's strickly for fun...

What to get?  I found this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009FU0CO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Coupled with the fact that I have a gift card to Amazon for $25.00....hmmmm.....

I will be bench shooting this, so weight is not a huge issue....any other ideas?

Down the road I am thinking of getting something bolt action in .223, so I'd like to get something that I can move to that gun when I get it.  It is not mandatory, but I'd like to have that option...

What say ye?
One day at a time.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Scope advice...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:43:28 AM »
I would normally be suspect of any scope at that price, especially a 6.5-20 but, the reviews are pretty good and the price is right. However, that would be a bit too much scope for a .22 for anything other than bench shooting.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 06:51:35 AM »
I'm also trying to figure out the mystery of all the X-something numbers involved with scopes. I have a PSOP-4 and a PK-A, but for sport scopes, I'm lost.

Trying to pick one to put on a K-31, which has ballistics nearly identical to a .308. Lit reticles seem nice, that's all I've seen.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:38:08 AM »
You might want to consider one of the old (as in decades) Weaver K-series (k-4 is the commonest, IIRC) scopes off ebay.  Can't be beat for the price range.

I have no faith in cheap new optics, anymore.  I went with an aperture sight in my CZ550 in .375H&H because I couldn't afford a Leupold VX-III to top it off.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:46:27 AM »
Maine Vue optics seem to be popular here, with reviews of being very clear, but it's more the what X what I'm confused about. smiley

(The K-31 can reach out hundreds of yards with incredible accuracy, so I want something long range for that.)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 10:55:07 AM »
Maine Vue optics seem to be popular here, with reviews of being very clear, but it's more the what X what I'm confused about. smiley

X is magnification.  The other number is size of the objective lense.
Bigger number --> more light.

Some scopes are variable - as in 3x - 9x.

4x fixed should be plenty for .22 rimfire, or for any other rifle IMO. Wink

I think I paid about $30 for my .22 scope.  Simmons or something.   Really doesn't matter because most any scope will be all right for .22 (virtually no recoil).

I would just buy a rimfire scope and leave in on the rifle.  Get another (good!) scope later for a centerfire rifle.  $30 ain't worth the trouble of moving it and re-sighting.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:12:51 AM »
As regards .22s, my Marlin 66 stainless has a Simmons 4x32 in matching silver that I got from CDNN for $19. It seems to work.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 11:27:56 AM »
I don't think a scope will help much....

.it sat in someone's closet for a bit over a million years...they went to move, found it, gave it to someone else...they had it for about a million and a half years...they forgot they had it...I ended up with it...

I've got a cheapie scope, also from Walmart, that I put on an old shot-out remington .22 pump that key-holed at 25 yards.  I took the scope off when I got a $100 bucks for the gun at one of Mayor Daleys/Fr. Pfleger's gun "buybacks".

I put the scope on a Marlin 60.  If I do my job, it makes nice tight groups.

Sounds to me like the problem is with the rifle, (or mayhaps the shooter  grin), any scope should work, since there's little to no recoil.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 11:31:51 AM »
The problem I have with most scopes is that the crosshairs wiggle Sad

I sure would like to find a scope that doesn't have that problem Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
Perhaps the best 'scope for precision shooting with a .22 is the Leupold VX-III 6.5-20 EFR. At around $640 or so (plus mounts), the price is a bit more than the $45 Barska you're looking at.

It's hard to get a decent riflescope for under $200 . . . if you're looking in the under-$100 range, Bushnell, Simmons, BSA and Trashco Tasco might be worth a look. Keep your expectations low . . .

You mentioned that you were getting "softball sized" groups at 100 yards . . . a bolt action .22 of uncertain pedigree may not do much better no matter what 'scope it's wearing.

Down the road I am thinking of getting something bolt action in .223, so I'd like to get something that I can move to that gun when I get it.
If you're looking for a 'scope that will move to a bolt action varmint rifle, you will regret getting something too cheap today.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 06:40:33 PM »
It's hard to get a decent riflescope for under $200 . . .

I think my PSOP-4 is certainly decent, with the illuminated rangefinding reticle, plus it could likely survive a nuclear blast...but that's not exactly a sport scope.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 10:32:29 PM »
Scope doesn't seem to do the job, I find Listerine makes my mouth feel cleaner....bad da bum....

Sorry....the Jameson got a hold on me...
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 02:58:41 AM »
The brand isn't as important as where it's made. IMO, Chinese scopes aren't worth recycling the aluminum tubes, Philippines and Korean scopes are cheap but usable, and Japanese, European and US made scopes are the best.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 05:48:55 AM »
I used to have an old Weaver 4x scope on a stock Ruger 10/22. At 50 yards I could shoot the staples off of targets.

I would start scouring Ebay for one of those.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 05:58:08 AM »
Thanks Guys....I'm going to skip the one that I found at Amazon, and now have a better idea of what to look for....
One day at a time.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 02:18:41 PM »
Seems I happened across a Savage Mark 2 BV...scope hunting again...want something goodish...Leopold? 
One day at a time.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 02:22:34 PM »
Seems I happened across a Savage Mark 2 BV...scope hunting again...want something goodish...Leopold? 

Nikon is where its at for affordable optics.

Or Mueller.

The Russian military optics are also pretty good...

There are a couple of other decent brands for the price, but I can't think of them for now.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 03:06:39 PM »
I'm usually a Leupold/Sightron/Nightforce kind of guy...

But danged if I haven't had a lot of fun with a BSA 6-24 Contender on my heavy-barreled FrankenRuger 10/22.

I know it's a cheap scope, but the combination work.  Golfballs on tees at 100 yards are a piece of cake, even for the first-time shooter:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"