Author Topic: Goddamn possum  (Read 1616 times)

Goddamn possum
« on: October 10, 2005, 05:42:01 AM »
I'm a late worker and a late riser, so I got woken at 10 this morning. Ok, fine, that's way too late to be getting up. Leave my sleep cycle alone. It's broken.

Anyway, there's a possum in the window of my mom's office. She's upset. I tell her to go get Shadow, our gigantic lab/newfoundland mix, and let him loose at it. I load my crossman $25 bb pistol with a few bbs I find in my carpet and pop in a fresh co2 cylinder and stagger downstairs in my underwear a few minutes later, greeted by a fresh array of dog feces scattered over her office carpet around six feet from the possum.

I am not wearing my glasses. Pay attention to that fact, because I'm going to use it in a minute here. I form a proper sight picture on the lil bastards head, yell at the top of my lungs, and put five little steel pellets there at around 450 fps. He doesn't budge. I yell more. He doesn't even pretend to die, which is ego bruising.

Turns out the window was not open. In my mind, why else would a possum be inside a window unless he could crawl inside it? Oh jeez. The only reason I splattered bbs all over his head was because I figured he'd cut and run. Same with the dog. Now I'm out of .22 rounds, the only rifle I have ammo for is a 30-30, my maglite isn't finished yet, and I'm off to the store for more.

Goddamit.

Paddy

Goddamn possum
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 05:44:39 AM »
Possum have sharp vicious teeth.  Please don't let the dog anywhere near the possum.  Usually possum will walk away slowly if disturbed (and not trapped inside something).  If you must shoot him, once or twice in the head with a .22 will do.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Goddamn possum
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 07:14:41 AM »
Okay this is what I used to do, but don't try it at home...

When a possum got in the barn or garage I used to grab the little buggers by their tail and release them outside. Used to piss the marsupials something fierce but I never got bit.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Goddamn possum
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 05:14:35 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmm........fried possum and gravy.....

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Stand_watie

• friend
Goddamn possum
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 05:43:01 PM »
Quote from: RileyMc
Possum have sharp vicious teeth.  Please don't let the dog anywhere near the possum.  Usually possum will walk away slowly if disturbed (and not trapped inside something).  If you must shoot him, once or twice in the head with a .22 will do.
If your lab/newfie is the critter killing type (which I haven't found to neccessarily be the case with them, with the exception of bird type critters) I'd actually be less concerned about the  damage from opposum teeth (which shouldn't be underestimated) than from the creepie-crawlies the opposum might be carrying.

I keep chickens, of which possums are a sneaky and nefarious predator(crawl in at night and kill the hens) and I'm glad to have my dogs kill them, but I make sure they're up on their shots.

*note

If you think you're dog has killed an oppossum, smash the dead body to oblivion with a big rock or shoot it in the head. They're sneaky that way. Leave the body set for a while and then pick it up with a shovel or rake. You don't want an ugly case of tetanus or some such from an oppossum that's not really dead.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
Goddamn possum
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 05:44:46 PM »
Charby, you're braver than me.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

TarpleyG

• friend
Goddamn possum
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 03:11:29 AM »
My grandmother used to collect them out of the trashcan and such with a broomhandle.  There is a way you can get them to wrap their tail around it and you just pick them up.  I have also heard that an opossum picked up by the tail is sort of paralyzed but I have yet to try this myself.

Greg

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Goddamn possum
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 04:16:17 AM »
This is why everyone should have a hard heart and some combat training.  Unfold your e-tool and beat the little bastard to death.
I hate possums.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

onions!

Goddamn possum
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 06:31:14 AM »
My dogs usually kill the little critters.I was picking up a "dead" one to throw it over the fence behind the neighbors garage when to my um...suprise(!) it turned around in my hand,hissed,& damn near got me!

The dogs finished 'im off & over the fence went the pieces.Smiley

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Goddamn possum
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 06:55:14 AM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
I don't know if bravery quite fits there. Also at the high school keggers ol' possums used to creep around the edges of the gatherings looking for food or whatnots, used to pick them up by their tails and try to get them to hold tight to some of the ladies' jackets. Teenage girls don't take to kindly to a marsupial clinging to their carhart jacket.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Stand_watie

• friend
Goddamn possum
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 06:38:08 PM »
Quote from: charby
Quote from: Stand_watie
I don't know if bravery quite fits there. Also at the high school keggers ol' possums used to creep around the edges of the gatherings looking for food or whatnots, used to pick them up by their tails and try to get them to hold tight to some of the ladies' jackets. Teenage girls don't take to kindly to a marsupial clinging to their carhart jacket.

Charby
Smiley Well now I don't know if they like him, but I kind of think the ol' possum likes the young ladies Smiley Don't know that it's food that he's after though, maybe 'whatnot' Smiley

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Goddamn possum
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 04:56:17 AM »
"God Damn Possum"

Sounds like the premise for a good Country Western song to me...

Where's the "Achy Breaky Heart" guy? It'd be right up his alley!

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!