Author Topic: Skate Board Guru's  (Read 3606 times)

Polishrifleman

• friend
Skate Board Guru's
« on: November 26, 2007, 02:36:51 PM »
My son would like a skateboard for Christmas and I am clueless.  Can anyone help.  What I need is something basic and functional for the neighborhood, he won't be going to any skate parks at this time and I'm not keen on building a ramp yet.  Budget is probably less than $75 for the complete deck.

Thanks

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Skate Board Guru's
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 02:39:42 PM »
Plus $30 at least for a helmet.

Wrist and knee guards would also be a nice touch.

A cup may come in handy.

Do you already own a video camera? If not, you'll need one.

Go to www.break.com and search on "skater" or "skateboard."

Blog under construction

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 02:42:53 PM »
We have most of that covered with his hockey equipment and I did take out a large insurance policy on him and the benefits package is paid and up to date grin.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 02:43:13 PM »
OK, I'm really going to date myself here.  Here goes.

Andy Mac series skateboards, esp. the rookie series are good beginner boards, but they will self destruct as soon as your kid starts jumping on it, and doing complicated tricks.

Avoid the cheap ones you see in stores, they are nasty deathtraps.

I'm told Angelboy also makes good ones, but I dont know much about them.

Also, realise that $75 is probably the MINIMUM you'll spend for something quality.

EDIT: Yes, kneepads, hand and helmet pads are also a necessity.

I used to skate without kneepads and I now have the knees of a 70 year old because of it.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »
Show him LOTS of videos of guys smashing the yarbles on stair railings.

Buy a GOOD video camera.

Blog under construction

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 05:46:17 PM »
OK, I'm really going to date myself here.

Don't worry, the first thing that came to my mind was Powell-Peralta and then Vision.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

GeoJAP

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 06:01:54 AM »
Back in 1986, my dad paid around $100 for a decent Vision skateboard.  Powell & Peralta used to be great decks.  I'm pretty sure they are still around.  Get some decent trucks.  Independent made great trucks, I'm not sure if they are still around.  P&P wheels will work fine.  I think you will wind up spending a little more than $75 now a days.

Tell him to be careful.  It's really easy to break bones on skateboards.  I broke a rib and my brother broke his wrist on skateboards.  There are some really gruesome videos on the internet of kids launching off stairs and hand rails, bailing, and then getting a compound fracture and whatnot.

Strings

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 12:28:54 PM »
You might actually be better off finding a local skate shop, and getting him a gift certificate. That's basically what I did when my niece wanted to get a deck: took her to the local shop, and let her pick out what she wanted. The guys there were extremely helpful (of course, they were dealing with an attractive teenage girl), and didn't try ripping me off...

Since my knowledge of skateboards ended with th Veriflex i got in junior high (and promptly ripped myself up on), I can't provide any further advice. now, if you want to talk about rollerblades... Wink

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 03:29:22 PM »
What I need is something basic and functional for the neighborhood, he won't be going to any skate parks at this time and I'm not keen on building a ramp yet.

Don't buy him a trick board at all. Buy him something that will roll and turn. I don't even consider trick boards to be real skateboards, more like gymnastics equipment or something, and utterly worthless for transportation.  Oh, and they are all pretty much the same, insofar as they all suck as actual skateboards. I've been waiting for the whole street skating trend to die out.

But you probably won't get into a decent longboard for under 100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PARADISE-LONGBOARDS-WAVE-FIBERGLASS-Complete_W0QQitemZ360000170929QQihZ023QQcategoryZ79781QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-S-Blacktip-complete-longboard-kit-41-in-NEW-SAVE-90_W0QQitemZ310002741463QQihZ021QQcategoryZ79781QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.skatesonhaight.com/cheap-skateboards-and-sale-skateboards-s/189.htm

blankdecks.com--you could get him a level 1 complete for $50...get an 8 inch canadian or sturdy mold deck with the 54mm wheels and 1.125" hardware.

http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28&page=1&sort=4a
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 04:00:28 PM »
Way back when I skated, I liked the Powell-Peralta boards and Independent trucks.  I think there are a lot more skate equipment makers now that make pretty good stuff - Powell is still around, Birdhouse (Tony Hawk's company), Element, Toy Machine, etc.  Most complete builds are still going to run around $100+ for good stuff.  A gift certificate and a trip to the skate shop is the best idea.  Having skated my way into the emergency room with head injuries and full body road rash, I recommend protective gear, especially wristguards and a helmet.  I spent a lot of time riding friends' big half-pipe, but did most of my self-destruction on the street.  Despite the potential for injury, it's great fun and hard to beat for staying fit - ever notice how there aren't any obese skater kids?  It's one of the activities of youth that I miss.  Good luck.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 11:06:26 PM »

While I would not recommend it for a beginner, you can look forward to your kid begging ya for one in a couple years.

http://exkate.com/boards.htm
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 11:43:41 PM »
No offense to zahc, but buying him a longboard will most likely result in one of three outcomes:

1) He gets heckled mercilessly and ends up never riding it.
2) He gets the crap beaten out of him and ends up never riding it.
3) It gets stolen or snapped in front of him.

At least, that's the general skater reaction to longboards in this part of the country.  (It could be worse, of course, at least it's not rollerblades grin).

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 11:55:38 PM »
No offense to zahc, but buying him a longboard will most likely result in one of three outcomes:

At least, that's the general skater reaction to longboards in this part of the country.  (It could be worse, of course, at least it's not rollerblades grin).

So...   you're saying when my sparring partners are out of town or busy, I can keep in practice by riding a longboard?   Sweet. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Strings

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 12:10:57 AM »
Vodka, what are you tryin' to say 'bout 'blades? Huh?

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 12:16:44 AM »
So...   you're saying when my sparring partners are out of town or busy, I can keep in practice by riding a longboard?   Sweet. 

I wasn't attacking longboards.

I'm saying that here on the east coast, a kid riding a longboard is going to have a tough go at it, especially if he ignores his dad and tries bringing it to a skatepark.  Kids aren't as accepting and willing to try new things as the rest of us are.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 01:47:38 AM »
So...   you're saying when my sparring partners are out of town or busy, I can keep in practice by riding a longboard?   Sweet. 

I wasn't attacking longboards.

I'm saying that here on the east coast, a kid riding a longboard is going to have a tough go at it, especially if he ignores his dad and tries bringing it to a skatepark.  Kids aren't as accepting and willing to try new things as the rest of us are.

Nor do I know what a longboard is.  But it's surprisingly difficult to stay in practice when you don't have anyone to play with.  I'm upset.  Why don't people want to rob me, or jump me, or ANYTHING?   I was just getting hopeful that maybe, maybe, if I bought a longboard, some kids would try to jump.   ::sob::

grin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 07:29:22 AM »

He said he wasn't really taking it to skateparks but cruising around the hood. You don't need a big board either just something with soft wheels and trucks that turn...even my 24" mini as a better board than any trick board. Even around at skateparks, around here, showing up with a longboard means everyone wants to ride it. You mostly just get people who think it's cool. And chicks.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 08:23:12 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys, picked everything up this weekend and was basically on budget.  Ended up with a Birdhouse mini with not to offensive graphics so mom will be happy too.  shocked