Author Topic: Budget stalled still  (Read 10768 times)

PTK

• friends
Budget stalled still
« on: April 07, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »
I just heard from two different IRS employees that tomorrow, the IRS will essentially be shutting down until further notice - they ran out of money for the folks answering the phones, doing the paperwork, etc.

Guess the stalled budget made a difference after all... :O
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Budget stalled still
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 01:17:31 PM »
Yep, We (the Army) is making plans to start furlough of most folks.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:17:40 PM »
One of the reasons I wanted our taxes filed ASAP. We've already got our refund.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »
dogmush,

Furlough! That's the word one of them used, told me they're being furloughed, no work but no pay until further notice.

When's the last time this sort of thing happened? How long did it last then? Is this uncommon? It seems that for once, higher-ups are getting the drift, that we've got too much to pay for and as a country will do what it takes to live within our means.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »
Unless the GOP caves and cowers and allows itself to get bitch-slapped, Obama will use his veto like a hammer to force a shut-down, betting that the American people will blame the Republicans.  If his instincts are as good on this as on everything else, it will backfire on him. Big time.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »
dogmush,

Furlough! That's the word one of them used, told me they're being furloughed, no work but no pay until further notice.

When's the last time this sort of thing happened? How long did it last then? Is this uncommon? It seems that for once, higher-ups are getting the drift, that we've got too much to pay for and as a country will do what it takes to live within our means.

eh. It's happened a couple times before.  I remember (but wasn't yet working for fed.gov) one in the Clinton 90's that went for about 2 weeks.  The old-timers tell me that it happens about once a decade for a week or two, then we all get back pay.  More posturing buy the polititions with no real change.  According to shop lore, the worst was during Carter's term, the furlough went almost 6 weeks.  Everyone still got back pay though.  Consensus of the folks that have done this before is as long as you have enough cash reserve to make it one or two pay-periods, it's a free vacation.  I'm also told that we would qualify for unemployment benifits during the furlough, but my hypocrisy only goes so far. 

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »
 Budget stalled still by demonrats who had all three branches of government in 2010, when this budget SHOULD HAVE BEEN PASSED, and who refused to even propose a budget back then.    [barf]

.....And Harry Reid is a fatuous jackwagon!!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
Yep, We (the Army) is making plans to start furlough of most folks.

And the Coast Guard is telling us the opposite.  Personally I'd like a little more information that what I am getting.  Will my station still get fuel?  What happens to peoples travel claims, medical bills, how does this affect transfers, TAD for schools, etc., can we still take leave and on and on and on.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »
Since you switched to DHS, you might be somewhat higher up the "importance" ladder.  We're getting told (in rough, purposely vague terms), Unless the expenditure directly supports a Contingency Op, prepare to shut it down.  Reserve drills (that's me) this weekend are getting canceled, our fuel cards got shut down earlier this week, civilian employees (that's me also) prepare for furlough with no leave allowed.  All Travel Orders, per diem, and the like canceled, all civilian leave canceled. Active side, all schools canceled, all travel not war related cancelled.  Don't yet know about active duty pay and or leave.  I've got conflicting reports on that from different, good sources.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
We're still completely up in the air on the furlough where I am. I've heard at least twenty different stories by now. Our uniformed personnel will be screwed since they're the only ones that are being identified as "essential". My office's LT will have the "essential" job of coming in to check on our boats and answer the phones and tell people we're closed. They're making him work 0800-1700 to do that. I do get to pawn my emergency phone off on him though. :)

I'm being told I'll have to confiscate and secure all laptops and gov issued cell phones before I leave to ensure no one tries to check email or do any telecommuting while they're furloughed.

I'm still not sure what to think. The whole thing is turning into a soap opera cliffhanger. From all the resources I'm seeing being thrown into furlough preparation, I can't figure how we'll save any money. It could very well be that we'll be furloughed through the weekend, then back to work on Monday. So stuff like National Parks would be closed for the weekend, but gov offices that are normally M-F 9-5 wouldn't really be affected except for the fire drill of the past few days.

The one in 95 lasted I think a few weeks. I'd actually like that for this one. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »

Aside from military pay, I'm quite pleased.    =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Yellowjacket

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 09:33:57 PM »
Part of me hopes the IRS gets "stalled" for much longer  >:D

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 11:45:05 PM »
Unless the GOP caves and cowers and allows itself to get bitch-slapped,
They do deserve it for all of the unrelated riders that they attached to the bill - EPA, Planned Parenthood, etc.

The bill should stand on it's own.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »
Aside from military pay, I'm quite pleased.    =D

Same here.

Also, so *expletive deleted*ing glad I don't work for the feds anymore. My current duty location with my state agency, on the other hand, is making gonzo money from tourism and we aren't wasting our taxpayer's dollars like the feds love to do.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 10:19:02 AM »
They do deserve it for all of the unrelated riders that they attached to the bill - EPA, Planned Parenthood, etc.

The bill should stand on it's own.

If it's a budget bill, amendments to remove funding from certain agencies is actual rather on topic for congress.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:27:28 AM by RaspberrySurprise »
Look, tiny text!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 05:33:04 PM »
The unrelated rider amendment garbage has always ticked me off.

It is just a way to buy votes from others, and including that garbage in the original bill.

It pollutes the intent of the original bill, and muddies the waters of candor and honesty.

Liars and thieves, all of them!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
IIRC, NICS checks will also be down....bad news for the gun shows this weekend....  :facepalm:

This would be a great time for the NRA and SAF to file a joint suit seeking injunction against the check system based on Heller and McDonald....modify it into a "necessary" gov't function or do away with it entirely....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »
IIRC, NICS checks will also be down....bad news for the gun shows this weekend....  :facepalm:

This would be a great time for the NRA and SAF to file a joint suit seeking injunction against the check system based on Heller and McDonald....modify it into a "necessary" gov't function or do away with it entirely....

I thought NICS was handled at the state level?...

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 07:18:56 PM »
I thought NICS was handled at the state level?...

Some states do their own version of a criminal records check.  Others actually call the FBI and wait on hold.

Still, I see gun sales shutting down.  Not a bad time to prowl the aisles for private sales in both directions. =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 11:01:52 PM »
NOOOOO!!!!!! They reached an "agreement" so the shutdown wouldn't have to happen.  :facepalm: ;/

Exactly what I expected, of course...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 11:38:19 PM »
 [popcorn] [barf] [popcorn] [barf] :facepalm: :mad:

I hate political theater.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 12:22:23 AM »
Yes, they finally reached an agreement.  And take heart, everyone, they managed to cut a whopping $2B from the budget.  We're saved!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 12:56:47 AM »
Really wearing thin on the tea party line, Bachmann on TV insisting that the shutdown had to happen to make it clear they were serious about cutting spending. I'm sorry, any gov't shutdown will be political theater, nothing more. The dedication to theater makese m think that something is lacking. No debate was joined ever about meaningful changes to mandatory budget spending. Then the whole line about protecting our active duty people from this. Blow it out your butt. How are military people more special than public service or private employees? No money, no job, furlough the non-essential troops stateside, stop training, stop non-essential maintenance. I'm pretty sure that we'd be contractually obligated to serve, pay or not. Just pandering to a voting bloc, both military and families as well as the red, white, and blue voting bloc. Same reason we can't talk about medicare and other entitlements, got to kiss up to AARP.

I was active duty in '95 when we shut down, think I got paid late once, can't remember. Don't pander to me because I am in the military. Happens all the time except when you're throwing my absentee ballot in the trash. Screw the politicians that do that, the military is not a special class we worship when it suits.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 02:54:18 AM »
Update:  A $38B cut for the year, supposedly.  Being billed by Obama as the "the biggest annual spending cut in history."  Sure, you betcha, that's gonna make everything moar better.  We is saved, we is.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 04:22:05 AM »
Update:  A $38B cut for the year, supposedly.  Being billed by Obama as the "the biggest annual spending cut in history."  Sure, you betcha, that's gonna make everything moar better.  We is saved, we is.

So, instead of a 1650 BILLION dollar deficit, we "only" have a 1612 BILLION dollar deficit instead?  YAY!!!!!  ;/

$38B less spent is good, of course.  Now we just need to do that again, 49 more times, before the end of this fiscal year (September, isn't it?). :facepalm: