Author Topic: is this right?  (Read 10674 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: is this right?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
unless i married one of you buzzards without remembering it you lack the power to annoy >:D

The Tiffany issue matters because on a gut level it says "I'm not one of you peons.  We're nobility."  It doesn't matter whether he indulges his wife, it matters whether the perception is that he places that indulgence above the higher virtues required for public service.

it also matters because if it happened as he described he committed a crime
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »
That too, yes, definitely, if so.

Newt, to this observer, looks like a man who is way too satisfied with himself.  He exudes this--or he would if he were capable of raising a sweat.  No one doubts his acumen on the philosophy of statecraft, but that won't win the day for him.  The broad votership doesn't cotton to the guy.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 08:43:34 PM »
so a republican and his wife having a zero interest acct from a company with legislation pending is not an issue?  even when typical interest is 21%?  how come?

Probably because nothing criminal was mentioned in the bit of article you posted. Leave it to you to invent the technique of reverse cherry-picking.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »
Newt is a prime example of someone who is intelligent, but lacks wisdom.  Bill Clinton was similar in that way, but with more base cunning.
Yup, that covers my thoughts.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 08:53:49 PM »
Ok, I'm wrong.  It states that Bill was impeached.  I guess there is a difference.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 10:15:37 PM »
it also matters because if it happened as he described he committed a crime

What crime, exactly? I have yet to see that specified.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 01:12:42 AM »
What crime, exactly? I have yet to see that specified.

You should read the last half of that article in the OP. Well, shoot, here it is:

As it turns out, the deal might be a little too good...and possibly a felony.

Tiffany's charges its normal customers a hefty 21% interest rate on their credit accounts. Gingrich paying 0% interest could represent an unreported gift from the company to both Newt, the former Congressman, and wife Callista, who was a high level staffer for the House Agriculture Committee.

Why does that matter? The Agriculture Committee monitors the Forest Service, which oversees mining, including silver mining, in federal forests. During the time Callista Gingrich worked for the House Committee, she carried a balance in the account (representing an interest-free loan). Tiffany's mines silver on public lands, so keeping a staffer with the pull of Callista Gingrich happy could pay off dearly for the company.

Adding to the madness is the fact that Newt Gingrich's former top staffer is now a lobbyist for...wait for it...Tiffany's!
http://www.benzinga.com/generallifemisc/movers-shakers/11/05/1118337/newt-gingrich-turns-embarrassment-into-potential-crimin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 01:14:08 AM »
I just noticed the picture that goes with that article. The woman is being asked which is larger, an elephant or the moon. She did not choose the moon.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 02:33:31 AM »
so a republican and his wife having a zero interest acct from a company with legislation pending is not an issue?  even when typical interest is 21%?  how come?

Please educate me on the law that defines what interest rate a private company has to charge a private citizen on a charge account.
As to how much influence Newt has on pending legislation when he does not cast a vote how would that different than any other lobbiest?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 08:34:53 AM »
i take it you didn't read the link?  and/or are unfamiliar with the rules governing what ,how, from who and how much a gov official is allowed to take in bribes gifts?  or is it your position newt and wife 3 were unaware?  what with him teaching as well as lecturing on government eyhics i find that unlikely  ymmv
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 08:39:17 AM »

It should not have mattered before he admitted to a possible conflict of interest for his wife- not that it doesn't matter now that he's gone and stepped in it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 09:05:49 AM »
I have had interest-free credit from vendors before, while other customers paid the sucker bad credit risk rate.  Not for the amount Newt had, but zero interest rate lines of credit are neither illegal nor unprecedented. 

Heck, many companies have 90 day terms and some have 120 day terms that are zero interest.

Also, remind me, again, what current elected or appointed office Newt or Newt's wife holds that would place him under the requirements of elected, appointed, or hired gov't employees?  Oh, right, that would be NONE.

The author of the piece is either a nitwit or mendacious and trying to get the ignorant spun up.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 09:11:11 AM »
details details

During the time Callista Gingrich worked for the House Committee, she carried a balance in the account (representing an interest-free loan). Tiffany's mines silver on public lands, so keeping a staffer with the pull of Callista Gingrich happy could pay off dearly for the company.

Read more: http://www.benzinga.com/generallifemisc/movers-shakers/11/05/1118337/newt-gingrich-turns-embarrassment-into-potential-crimin#ixzz1ODaUN5N3

nitwit?  perhaps  but they read the research

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 11:57:57 AM »
i take it you didn't read the link?  and/or are unfamiliar with the rules governing what ,how, from who and how much a gov official is allowed to take in bribes gifts?  or is it your position newt and wife 3 were unaware?  what with him teaching as well as lecturing on government eyhics i find that unlikely  ymmv

Wait a minute.  Newt is a private citizen now, isn't he?    ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 12:00:31 PM »
Wait a minute.  Newt is a private citizen now, isn't he?    ???

In this case, his wife was still in the employ of the House of Representatives. The conflict of interest was not his, but his wife's.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »
The story was Newt buying stuff for his wife.  His wife may be a "public employee" but if Newt (private citizen) is the one with the account and doing the buying and gifting, so what?
Atleast that's my understanding.
I don't really give a * since I have no plans to vote for him or support him.  I suppose if I cared I would say this atleast makes him look "elitist" in the eyes of many.  I rarely care about that, per se, (it may admittedly lead to other bad actions that should concern everyone) but if you're thinking of running for office, that can be a bad thing these days.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 12:14:03 PM »
The story was Newt buying stuff for his wife.  His wife may be a "public employee" but if Newt (private citizen) is the one with the account and doing the buying and gifting, so what?
Atleast that's my understanding.
I don't really give a * since I have no plans to vote for him or support him.  I suppose if I cared I would say this atleast makes him look "elitist" in the eyes of many.  I rarely care about that, per se, (it may admittedly lead to other bad actions that should concern everyone) but if you're thinking of running for office, that can be a bad thing these days.

If you gave $200,000 to the wife of a congressman who regulated your company, would that be considered a bribe?

This is a similar situation. (Should it turn out to be as it appears.)

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 12:25:43 PM »
I suppose.  However, I still won't vote for newt.  >:D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »
None of this changes my opinion of the man.

I still ain't gonna vote for him.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 02:45:39 PM »
whats curious to me is this is a man who teaches ethics and he fails so boldly.  is it stupidity?  or arrogance?

• friends

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »
whats curious to me is this is a man who teaches ethics and he fails so boldly.  is it stupidity?  or arrogance?

Really? (Note, no sarcasm intended.)  He teaches, like in a classroom or a seminar or some such, an ethics course?

For a congresscritter, he barely registered on the Corrupt-O-Meter, but I can think of a only small handful from both parties for whom such an endeavor would not elicit guffaws.  Kinda like the Roman Catholic I used to work with who has 7 kids.  He & his wife taught the rhythm method birth control for newly married RC couples.   :laugh:

Next:
Mike Tyson teaches "Triple Self-Improvement Threat: Verbal Judo,  Non-Violent Conflict Resolution, and Financial Management."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 06:08:45 PM »

Totally common in DC. Best way to become a millionaire in this country is to do a stint as a US Congressman, Senator or staffer.  Write legislation benefitting your investments.  Take bribes intrest free accounts from Tiffany's, place your gay lover into GSO's, or send pictures of your junk to college coeds.  Just another day in Soddom on the Potomac.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

erictank

• friends
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »
Totally common in DC. Best way to become a millionaire in this country is to do a stint as a US Congressman, Senator or staffer.  Write legislation benefitting your investments.  Take bribes intrest free accounts from Tiffany's, place your gay lover into GSO's, or send pictures of your junk to college coeds.  Just another day in Soddom on the Potomac.

Only 1 "d", I believe (but IAN a Biblical scholar).  Otherwise, depressingly correct. =|

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2011, 10:46:33 AM »
Newt has a lot of bright academic theories about how to run a society and an economy but without moral men and women to act them out they are otiose.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.