Author Topic: France's law banning face covering goes into action  (Read 6946 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: France's law banning face covering goes into action
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2011, 12:15:03 AM »
What is "doing fine?"  Islam without the bothersome Infidel?  Islam all by its lonesome and Islam in small cloistered enclaves may be doing fine, but when it becomes a serious player in a modern polity the problems immediately arise.

The more specific the question gets, the more general your answers become. 

This is exactly about liberty being restricted, not about "critical masses" (whatever that might mean in reality) or "national identity" (as if that's up to goverment to define). 

Renaming a direct and obvious infringement on religious liberty as a national struggle for existence is something that governments do to justify oppression.  There's no reason as should be copying their methods here.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2011, 01:45:38 AM »
What's the "specific question?"  There's nothing general or vague about my remarks.  I'm telling you that the problems in France have to do with that nation's awareness that it is losing its cultural identity.  Keep the burqa; I'm with ya on that.  But don't blow smoke up my rear about liberty when you're talking about a religion that doesn't value the concept as we understand it.  Enough.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2011, 01:55:33 AM »
Add, De Selby:

What is a critical mass?  Empirically it varies from society to society.  Ask the French or the Brits.  They'll tell you, no doubt with regret.

Actually, "national identity" is something that governments influence and control.  Immigration policies aren't set by peoples but by governments and, increasingly, without their consent.

No one's arguing we should persecute people here on the basis of their religious faith.  Drop the straw man, please.  

Here's your reality:

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Pakistan:-ten-year-old-girl-accused-of-blasphemy-and-sentenced-for-a-spelling-mistake-22746.html
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 02:07:34 AM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.