Author Topic: Poor Man's AR-15 trigger job  (Read 614 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Poor Man's AR-15 trigger job
« on: February 24, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »
So I've got a couple  =D AR's that, like other AR's have horrid stock triggers.  Gritty as hell.  Culprit is the tool marks on the face of the trigger and on the sear hooks on the hammer.

So I decided to try my hand at cleaning up those tool marks, see if I can improve the trigger a little bit at least.

Picked up some high grit wet/dry sandpaper and backed it with some flat aluminum stock to give me a nice flat working surface.

Started at 600 grit, worked the trigger face and the hammer sear hooks until I just couldn't see the tooling marks any more.  Since I didn't have a jig to ensure the angles stayed perfectly aligned,  I took it nice and easy and took my time to keep the angles aligned as best as I could.

Then went to 1000 grit to polish out the 600 grit marks.

And then went to 1500 grit to polish out the 1000 grit marks.

Ended up with a surprisingly mirrored finish on the trigger face and top, an almost knife like edge on the face/top edge, and while it didn't improve the trigger pull weight, *MAN* did it smooth out those trigger pulls. 

I also know that the hardening on those parts is just a little bit below the surface, so it's really important to only work this until you remove the tooling marks.  It takes a little bit of time, but it is well worth it if you don't want to drop a couple hundred bucks on an aftermarket Timney or similar trigger.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Poor Man's AR-15 trigger job
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 03:42:37 PM »
I thought when I opened this I would read about cutting the hammer spring again. Glad to see its just a polish.
Even my 2 stage RRA match trigger benefited from similar polishing. In fact, very few of my guns have escaped the procedure.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 04:42:15 PM »

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 05:03:16 PM »
Kingcreek, I tried the cut hammer spring.  Once.   had about a 50% failure to fire rate.

Next upgrade for these rifles is going to be a set of JP springs, yellow trigger / red hammer
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy