Author Topic: Zinc-bromide batteries?  (Read 736 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Zinc-bromide batteries?
« on: December 13, 2022, 12:05:07 PM »
Matt Ferrell's video about zinc-bromide batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wsSRq-bEm0

Old tech with renewed promise. Quite interesting. More energy dense than lead-acid in the same form factor. Discharge tolerant to zero volts, which is death to lead-acid and lithium-based batteries. Much greater charge/discharge cycle lifespan than lithium-based cells. Cost-effective, too, not to mention more inherently safe than lithium ion.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Zinc-bromide batteries?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 02:50:46 PM »
Very interesting, thank you. Be nice to see them in AA and AAA sizes.

I'm sure everyone's looking at every possible combination in the electrochemical series.

Somehow I'm reminded of Penny and Professor Proton's potato clock.

https://youtu.be/jja8iHfWDAc  (0:23)

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:04:18 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 09:54:05 AM »
I wonder if we'll ever get to the point of batteries with the same capacity as the "accumulators" in the old John W. Campbell science fiction novel The Mightiest Machine. IIRC, they'd store up to 30,000 kWh of energy per pound of weight . . . that's quite a few orders of magnitude better than today's real-world battery tech. (Tesla's long range battery weighs 1168 pounds and stores 75kWh of energy. You do the math.  ;)   ) 

Campbell's "accumulators" are going to remain strictly in the realm of science fiction longer than commercially viable fusion power plants will.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 11:18:38 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 05:03:33 PM »
Picayune me..,,.

"...they'd store up to 30,000 kwH of power per pound... "

That's energy, not power.

Power is Watts or kiloWatts (kW), the rate at which energy is expended.

One horsepower is 746 Watts, or 0.746 kiloWatts.

kWh is the total energy used or dissipated over a period of time.

One horsepower expended for one whole hour is one horsepower-hour of total energy or 0.746 kWh.

One horsepower expended for two whole hours is two horsepower-hours of total energy or 1.492 kWh.

Also, note that James Watt's name for the unit of power is capitalized, the rest of the designation is in lower case: kWh.

Same goes for "Volts," after Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta and "Amps" or "Amperes" after André-Marie Ampère and "Ohm" for Georg Simon Ohm.

I'm a pain in the ass at parties, too, but I haven't been invited to many lately.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 05:53:21 PM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 11:18:09 PM »
. . . I'm a pain in the ass at parties, too, but I haven't been invited to many lately . . .
I made the corrections you suggested, but you really don't expect to be on my guest list now, do you? (That may be a blessing . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 08:26:12 AM »
^ LOL !

Oh, I understand.  There are a couple of common technical errors in non-pro literature that trigger me and energy-power is a particular bete-noire of mine.

This is because I used to be the last proofreader (another duty "as assigned") for press releases and such where I worked, and after a power-energy gaffe passed the first two reviewers, I made the correction.

El bosso argued with me about it on the basis that there was no difference between "energy" and "power" and he preferred the word power as being more "forceful" in the document. He could not understand the difference, so I told him to consult with a staff PE.  Upshot, it went out with my correction.

This was long before Sheldon Cooper of the BBT existed, but looking back, I guess I was acting like "our Sheldon,."

Terry, 230RN

ETA: PE = Professional Engineer, one who has passed rigorous certification to use the designation.

BBT = Big Bang Theory.  I've seen it used this way, but not sure how common it is.

ETA = Edited To Add

LOL = Laughed Out Loud
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 08:50:32 AM by 230RN »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 09:50:24 AM »
Well if they ever get 30k of those KwHs into a one pound battery I want to play with one from a safe distance. Anything contained can be released. Sometimes that can even be controlled.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2022, 10:07:19 AM »
Well if they ever get 30k of those KwHs into a one pound battery I want to play with one from a safe distance. Anything contained can be released. Sometimes that can even be controlled.

Someone (probably Kentucky Ballistics) will video themselves shooting the first 1 lb, 30,000 kWh battery.  Guarantied.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 10:17:04 AM »
"KwH."  You stinker.

Actually, how fast the total amount of energy is released could make it dangerous.  If it's dissipated into a 100 Watt bulb, it would take 300,000 hours if I kept my decimals straight.  If it's discharged into a copper bar, it could be explosive, like dropping a wrench across your car battery terminals.

Look at it this way.  A spark from your hand to the wall electric plate after crossing the carpet may hit 20 or 30 thousand horsepower and yield a loud crack because the discharge occurs in microseconds.

But the total energy involved cannot possibly be more than the energy it took for you to shuffle across the carpet.

It's the time involved.  You can't say 30,000 kWh is dangerous until you describe the timing involved.

Smaller quantities of energy are described in ergs or Joules, or electron Volts or foot-pounds and some other units.  But a Joule is one Watt for one second, or one Watt-second.  An electron Volt is 4.45049-23 Watt-hours. (0.000000000000000000000445049 Wh)

A foot-pound is  1.3558179483 Joules.

It depends on who's doing the describing as to what type of units are used.

For cartridges, it's foot pounds here in the US, overseas, it's Joules.

For cars, it's horsepower here and Watts over there.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:55:26 AM by 230RN »

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 10:23:21 AM »
...the energy it took to suffle across the carpet.

"shuffle"

Tit for tat and all that...  =D

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2022, 10:33:24 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 11:10:13 AM »
Funny you should mention that.

In the book they used drones to infiltrate & spy on enemy installations, and - with the push of a button - could release all the remaining stored energy in the drone's power source in one big surge. Didn't do the enemy base much good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwzg7SYZKF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=299knTdX-Wo

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 04:30:27 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5cYgRnfFDA

1 gW = 1.34 million hp.
1,000,000,000 ÷ 746 = 1,340,483

1.21 gW would be 1.62 million horsepower.
Run that for an hour and you'd be talkin' 1.21 gWh of energy.

Just pokin' around, the quickest number I could find to get an idea for Niagara Falls power output to toss around is:

"The now retired Ontario Power Company was located at the base of the Horseshoe Falls. It consisted of 10 generators and had a total power output capacity of 100,000 horsepower."

Underlining mine  Note "power," not "energy."

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 05:14:58 PM by 230RN »

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2022, 04:32:59 PM »
1 gW = 1.34 million hp.

So, like, a lot.

Brad
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2022, 04:52:14 PM »
1 gW = 1.34 million hp.
1,000,000,000 ÷ 746 = 1,340,483

Now lets see the TNT equivalent!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2022, 05:17:39 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 05:23:36 PM »
Same question as the 30,000 kWh battery question.

The energy available per unit of weight of TNT is a fixed amount.  The power depends on whether you're burning it slowly in a fire or detonating it with a cap.

I believe IIRC there are about 20,000 kiloJoules of energy in a pound of TNT. That's about 19,000 BTU or almost two pounds of coal.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 05:58:41 AM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2022, 05:55:30 PM »
I believe IIRC there are about 20,000 kiloJoules of energy in a pound of TNT. That's about 19,000 BTU or almost two pounds of coal.

Lignite or Anthracite?

Samuel Adams