Author Topic: War movie Wednesday  (Read 828 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
War movie Wednesday
« on: November 23, 2005, 10:05:04 AM »
OK, I started out with The Winter War then went to Blackhawk Down and now I'm getting ready to watch A Bridge Too Far.  I have Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line on deck.  Exciting day, huh?  It's my first true day off in months.  No work, no school, and no schoolwork.

One last thing.  Does anyone know how much cooperation there was between Germany and Finland before the Finns sold them out in WWII?  From what I've read here and on THR, the movie was supposedly pretty accurate.  The Finns were wearing German helmets and uniforms and hats that looked distinctly German so I was kinda curious about the whole thing.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Old Dog

War movie Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 12:48:19 PM »
Finland did fight alongside Germany against Russia only in the Continuation War (IIRC, from '41 to fall of '44).  My mother's family (who all came over from Finland in '39 and '40) acknowledge that Finland made a pact with the devil, but there was some belief on the part of the Finns at the time that Germany was going to win the war ... and the Finns were bound and determined to defeat the Russians at all costs (incidentally, Stalin later noted than a million and a half Russians went to fight Finland, and a million of those were killed).
-- Will

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
War movie Wednesday
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 05:31:30 PM »
Mita kuuluu...

y'know how you can tell when you're talking to an extroverted Finn?

He's looking at YOUR shoes.

hei hei.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein