Author Topic: Wargs in Idaho  (Read 2023 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Wargs in Idaho
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/idwolves.asp
I got an email on this with some pictures of apparently oversize wolves killed in Idaho. I figured since a few of you are from up that way, you might shed some light on this.  Snopes had the email and pictures, but no information.  

I was always under the impression that wolves were big for wild canines, but still smaller and leaner than the larger breeds of dogs.  I guess it could be perspective, but these pictures would have you thinking there are 250 lb wolves running around.  Could just be smaller men in the pictures.

The snopes site has a few more pictures.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:10:33 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Wargs in Idaho
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
it appears at the least the email lies about where they were killed.  that said 9 foot from nose to tip of tail is not unheard of in wolves. with the tail being 25 to 30 percent as long as the body
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 10:26:28 AM »
the pics are from canada and were shot in 2009

they used to be up on the guide companys website

IIRC, they were 215 pounders
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »
the pics are from canada and were shot in 2009

they used to be up on the guide companys website

IIRC, they were 215 pounders

To put that in perspective, I have come across great danes in the 130-140lb range.

~100 more pounds is one big honking canine.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 10:48:32 AM »
wolves trigger a primal fear/panic  as is shown here
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=635051&page=5

lots of "interesting folks"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
Not sure what the dog weighed but an uncle used to have a German Shepard that when he stood on his hind legs could look over the top of my uncle's head, and my uncle stands 6'4".  The dog used to play with bricks, you throw them and he would chase them down and bring them to you.  But the trick was to throw them high enough for him to catch them before they hit the ground.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
I hadn't heard of wolves topping 200 lbs.  How common is that?
I knew they were long and lean, but didn't realize they were that hefty.  

I knew well fed dogs grew bigger on average, but I thought the wild wolves were generally smaller.  I guess it depends on where and what food supply they have.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:23:08 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »
The wolves transplanted to Jellystone in the 1990s were the larger Canadian timber wolves, not the extinct RM variety.

So wolves in MT/ID/WY could very well be that big.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »
I've seen wolves in the wild that I would estimate topped 150lbs. (No scales handy)  I saw one watching my dog team sleep that, when sitting down, had a head even with my chest.  I'm 5'11", so figure eyes 4"6" off the ground or so.  Wolves are, by and large, much larger then dogs.  I know that wild wolves are somewhat hard to find, but if you see them in the wild, you'll never confuse them with a large dog.

That said those Canadian wolves are pretty damn big.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »
Side note, the image you linked to looks like this to me:

You may want to avoid hotlinking in the future.  I like tinypic - it's free and no registration is required.  Some sites replace hotlinked images with... much more disturbing content.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 02:11:11 PM »
It was working at first.  I'll just remove the picture link.  You can check out the snopes link for the pics.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 04:25:10 PM »
found it:  http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=34797

saw that wolf in person when i was at trophy book archery a few weeks back
he shot it over a bear bait with a 30-06.....took a quick weight and it came in over 230 lbs
shot near edson

i guess the bugger managed to come in and chase off a 6'+ blackie
all on video too

i heard all that first hand from the shooter and couple of his buddies....never did get to see the video but i saw the wolf...its no joke
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 04:26:40 PM »

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 05:30:42 PM »
http://www.trophybookarchery.com/

take a wolf that size with a bow?  you'd be the man!  forever

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 08:47:31 PM »

Meh. Some people hunt f'in Grizzlies with bows. Personally, I think they're nuts, but they could wear pink tutus while singing the lumberjack song and not get their man card revoked.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 08:55:24 PM »

Meh, hunt from a tree stand, wolves can't (usually) climb trees. Bears on the other hand can climb trees.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »
Meh, hunt from a tree stand, wolves can't (usually) climb trees. Bears on the other hand can climb trees.

We had a wolf-husky mix that climbed a tree trying to catch a squirrel  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 09:10:23 PM »
We had a wolf-husky mix that climbed a tree trying to catch a squirrel  =D

Bet a wolf trying to climb a tree will still be slow enough for someone in a tree stand (in that tree) to aim and loose a shot into said canine's face.

He'd still walk bowlegged, of course, I'm not trying to suggest otherwise.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 10:10:53 PM »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 09:25:47 AM »
See, if we allow just anybody and everybody to carry pointed sticks, the poor wittle wolfies will be endangered  :police: