Author Topic: blackberry, pda, iphone,......help  (Read 4363 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
blackberry, pda, iphone,......help
« on: December 16, 2007, 01:09:55 PM »
i wanted to get a gift for my wife this christmas that would keep all her interests in one package. i was hoping someone here could help guide me, or point me to a websource for this info.

here are some of the interests she has:

she loves to show off her photo's (we already have a digital camera), so the display should be accomodating and i was thinking around 3-4".

she likes to keep in touch with family when we travel, so it should have wireless internet with qwerty keyboard.

she also talks on the phone occasionally. currently we have a trac phone, and would like to keep with that type of idea so there is no service contract (personally i haven't seen a wireless internet provider without contracts, so that may not be an option).

i would think everything would have an organizer type program in it, but what are the systems that are the most user friendly?

is there anything else that someone out there finds an invaluable tool that i shouldn't overlook?

thanks for the help!

g2

make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: blackberry, pda, iphone,......help
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 02:54:17 PM »
I have a PalmOne Treo 600 (yeah, it's that old) from Verizon Wireless.  It has everything you require except that a contract is required.  To get the data access that allows for web surfing, you'll need the data plan in addition to the phone plan.  It's the only device of the sort you're looking for I have experience with, but it certainly meets your needs.  As a bonus, it's quite durable.  Mine looks like it's been dragged behind a truck, but still works perfectly.

Chris

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 03:03:57 PM »
yea, durability is a definate must-have, you should see all the crap um...stuff she carries in her purse.

what i don't understand is why texting, and email costs so much. it's just using short bursts of info on the same wavelength as speech. oh yea, it's because they can.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 03:06:11 PM »
Whatever you get, make sure it can also take advantage of local WiFi access so you're not burning that data plan all the time. Many data plans are "unlimited" but even then there's an advantage, unless the WiFi is hooked up to a very slow DSL connection or something, local WiFi access will be much faster. You just want the data plan for when you're on the road etc.
I promise not to duck.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 03:08:48 PM »
is there a site that posts the results of unbiased testing of stuff like this?

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 06:48:17 PM »
i have a motorola rokr e6.. I love it.  no wifi  small package.  takes some hacking to enable quad band and edge...

denfoote100

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »
I got yer gadget right here!!

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665246465

A lightning-fast, full-functioning PC that fits in your pocket, this astoundingly compact device puts world-class computing in the palm of your hand. Featuring a cutting-edge, 48GB Solid State Drive and three to seven hours of battery life with a large capacity battery, the VAIO? UX Premium Micro PC is small enough to fit in your pocket and powerful enough to tackle the most complicated tasks. An Intel? Core™ 2 Solo ULV processor and a Windows Vista? Business operating system make the VAIO? UX a perfect fit in today's mobile computing landscape where power and portability are essential. And with advanced wireless technologies to keep you connected and a bundled Bluetooth? GPS receiver to keep you on course when traveling, you?ll be able go farther and do more than you could imagine.
Full-sized PC performance

Intel? Core™ 2 Solo Processor14 U2200 Ultra Low Voltage (1.2GHz1) Genuine Windows Vista? Business16 operating system The VAIO? UX Premium takes Micro PC modernization to a new level by utilizing a 48GB2 Solid State Drive (SSD) in place of the typical spinning hard disk drive found in most PCs. AT&T national wireless EDGE network13 to extend your wireless coverage beyond LAN access networks and hotspots3
Ultra-portable Micro PC

Enjoy such features as the slide-up LCD with two cameras, the dedicated control buttons placed within easy reach along the vertical thumb rests and the cleverly designed full QWERTY keyboard embedded in the UX Premium’s curved hand-held form factor. The UX features an integrated biometrics fingerprint sensor, which is a convenient and secure way to protect your computer and the information on it with a simple swipe of your finger. To make sure you have the power you need to stay productive when traveling, as well as to keep you from losing your way, we’ve bundled the UX490N Micro PC with a large capacity battery and a Bluetooth? GPS receiver.

Only $2500!!!!

bunni

• imfdb.org
    • Internet Movie Firearms Database
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 09:54:05 PM »
Eee PC? $400 It'll run Windows XP.

The web on my Verizon Wireless Motorla Q is essentially unusable. I haven't been impressed by any mobile-web experience besides the iPhone's.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »
As long as you have hotspots around, the browser on the $299 iPod Touch is absolutely incredible. It works on all major sites, and the zoom in and out is amazingly easy. It's FAST, too.

No iPhone yet, it's only a 2G phone because AT&T's network is stuck in the stone age. Wait on that one!

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 10:03:43 PM »
Since she only talks on the phone occasionally, the iPod touch might be your best bet.
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 04:33:25 AM »
The iphone browser is just a version of mozilla for the phone.  You can download a free java version that works the same.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 04:34:51 AM »
The iphone browser is just a version of mozilla for the phone.  You can download a free java version that works the same.

Not with the pinch-and-pull zooming, though. That's an awesome interface that requires the iPod Touch's glass touchscreen. Most intuitive means of control I've yet seen.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 08:57:15 AM »

Mmm, no.  It's Safari, with uses the KHTML engine.  Not Mozilla.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 09:34:12 AM »
i like the idea of the smaller units (ipod touch,treo, blackberry), but how are the keyboards. do you find that you get used to them, or do they greatly suffer on the side of speed and conveniece. i did a quick searc, but couldn't find any stand alone keyboards for these units.

that eee pc is nice although a little bigger than i had envisioned.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 10:27:30 AM »
No doubt about it, the keyboard on the Treo is small, but I can still type out a message much quicker than with a standard phone keypad.  I tend to use the text message function to send myself messages, reminders, and the such.

Chris

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 10:54:26 AM »

So it is.. Everyone raves about the Iphone and its browser... Mozilla is as close (best I have found.)  I just am not pleased by the iphone.. maybe its just me.. or maybe the cost... I could not jusify it though.   

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 11:04:20 AM »

So it is.. Everyone raves about the Iphone and its browser... Mozilla is as close (best I have found.)  I just am not pleased by the iphone.. maybe its just me.. or maybe the cost... I could not jusify it though.   

Why I got the Touch. It's the iPhone without the phone part, just a slender pocket internet wherever there's a hotspot. I even hit this site all the time and it works fine.

Consider it never buying a newspaper again, and at $299, it pays for itself somewhat quickly.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 03:41:23 AM »
Why I got the Touch. It's the iPhone without the phone part, just a slender pocket internet wherever there's a hotspot. I even hit this site all the time and it works fine.

Consider it never buying a newspaper again, and at $299, it pays for itself somewhat quickly.

is the keyboard interface as quick/easy to use as the blackberry type buttons?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 04:18:59 AM »

is the keyboard interface as quick/easy to use as the blackberry type buttons?

I think so. I can type replies to here with it pretty quick, and it lets you easily edit and drag the editing area around. Also, unlike the Blackberry, there's no way to get dust and other crap in little keys.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 12:33:40 PM »
What was wrong w/ me on my posts in this thread...forgive me y'all. 

I was rude, didn't support my postion with facts and had wrong info.

I am actually using Opera on my phone.  It is very comperable to the iphohe browser.  (The zoom and scroll work very similar, as far as I can remember when I used the Iphone.)