Author Topic: Boats...  (Read 4350 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Boats...
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »
Just curious, who's got one?  Could be a yacht or a small john boat; I'm just curious.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Boats...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 10:54:49 AM »
Boat (bōt) n. A hole in the water into which you pour money.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:58:12 AM »

Brad

That could be said of any hobby.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:02:16 AM »

Brad

That could be said of any hobby.

Except boats have major internal parts somehow corrode even when they're not anywhere near the water. They defy nature.

When they're in the water, they have this thing called a "bilge", which seems to be an area in which horrifically smelly, slimy water is designed to collect and corrode internal assemblies, gas tanks and water tanks even faster. The bilge is emptied by a pump that will fail, and require that you reach elbow-deep in said slimy water (think the Death Star trash compactor) to change out, with bolts that will invariably be frozen.

Also, many boats contain a thing called a "head", a compartment in which you may indeed fit your head, but likely not your body. It's meant to be a seagoing bathroom, and doubles as storage for a single broom..but only if it's a short one. If its chemical toilet tank is mounted elsewhere in the boat, it will leak into the bilge, too. That's just part of the rules.

I find boats to be the most fun when they belong to someone else.  cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:03:36 AM »
"That could be said of any hobby."

What?

My guns have been paying me back hansomly for years!

Of course, I'm wanted in 7 states...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »
I have had three.

A 9' Boston Whaler Squall (sailing dinghy), a 12' Alumacraft john boat, and a Sevylor inflatable, all owned when I was a kid. Grandad had a 36' Chris-Craft Cavalier, twin 350's. For the most part, I grew up in, on, or under the Chesapeake Bay. grin

I also had a 9.9 Evinrude outboard. On the john boat, it would get along right quick.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »
Two boats here.

One is a 1953 14' Lonestar Runabout and the other is Homemade 14' pumpkin seed style layout boat

I have a 40HP outboard with controls that is in need of a boat. With the price of scrap aluminum I'm having a hard time trying to find a fixer upper 16-17' aluminum runabout.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »
23ft Bowrider.  Boats are great as long as you use them.  Otherwise don't bother.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 12:11:22 PM »
23ft Bowrider.  Boats are great as long as you use them.  Otherwise don't bother.

exactly... I used to live 10 minutes from a decent sized lake, now I have to drive 30 minutes or longer so the boat doesn't get out as much as I used to take it.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 12:17:59 PM »
Currently I live 10 minutes from the water for cruising, 2 hours for saltwater fishing.
I'm thinking about getting one sooner or later, but am not in a hurry to make any rash decisions.
JD

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »
Hoping to get a kayak this year - leaning toward one of the ones that has a peddle setup if you want to use it. Can't remember the manufacturer off the top of my head.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 12:21:11 PM »
The two best days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

I used to work at a marina. I do kind of miss them. Boats are cool. BTW, we saw about a half a dozen boats sink every year, from $$ deck boats, to pontoon boats, to bass boats, to PWC, even on our little mud-puddle lake in OH.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »
Hoping to get a kayak this year - leaning toward one of the ones that has a peddle setup if you want to use it. Can't remember the manufacturer off the top of my head.

One of these?
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/index.html

Even If I don't end up with a hole in the water parked in my driveway, I'll likely buy a kayak or canoe this year.  Too many rivers around here to not have one.
JD

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 12:27:03 PM »
The two best days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

I used to work at a marina. I do kind of miss them. Boats are cool. BTW, we saw about a half a dozen boats sink every year, from $$ deck boats, to pontoon boats, to bass boats, to PWC, even on our little mud-puddle lake in OH.

Just sink? In S. Florida, they used to blow up. Impatient people + 98 degree day + vapors + not running the blower, just starting the engine = boom.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
We've got a 22' pontoon boat powered by an 70 hp Evinrude (Suzuki) 4 stroke.

Glastron 18' open bow with a 135 hp I/O Volvo Penta.  (GM makes the 4 banger for Volvo.)

Yamaha 140 hp 4 stroke PWC.

Used to have a small single mast sail boat.

My gas bill in the summer is the national debt of Zimabwe.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »
Just sink? In S. Florida, they used to blow up. Impatient people + 98 degree day + vapors + not running the blower, just starting the engine = boom.

I have witnessed that, once. Gas dock taking on fuel, cranked the engine...BOOM! Blew the cabin right off the boat.

Grandad used to scare the hell out of me. "I just had my head in the bilge, no fumes, let's go." Right after taking on 300+ gallons. shocked
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 12:38:12 PM »
Grandpa's got a 55' Fleming, but I've got a big fat nothing.  I would love to have a small boat someday, though.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 12:42:24 PM »
Grandpa's got a 55' Fleming, but I've got a big fat nothing.  I would love to have a small boat someday, though.

That's a purty boat!
I'm a SportFish kinda guy, though.  If funds were no factor I'd aim for a 73' Ocean SS

As it is I'm thinking of a walk-around or express in the 26' size range.  Albemarle is high on my list, but even the used ones hold thier value quite well.  Kind of the Honda of boats.
JD

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 02:16:21 PM »
Yep, that's the one. Peddles aside, they also seem to be better designs than the ones they stock at Bass Pro or Cabela's.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 07:39:57 AM »
I also had a 9.9 Evinrude outboard. On the john boat, it would get along right quick.

You ain't kidding. Years ago I had a 7.5 Merc on a 10 ft john. With 1 person in the boat the gas tank had to be up front and you had to be careful with the throttle.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 07:47:11 AM »

You ain't kidding. Years ago I had a 7.5 Merc on a 10 ft john. With 1 person in the boat the gas tank had to be up front and you had to be careful with the throttle.

A relative of mine had a tiny four-seater (barely four-seater) Checkmate, no windshield or anything, that they'd somehow put a Mercury 125hp and oversized trim tabs on, to keep it from backflipping.

That thing...um...moved.  cheesy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 08:29:32 AM »
I've actually been on and off looking for something for flyfishing. Not sure if I would want to go the 14' or so aluminum boat with an 8-12hp outboard route, or go with one of the smaller bass boat designs with a 25hp or so motor. Both with trolling motor of course.

I really like float tubing to flyfish lakes, but want the boat so my dog can go with me. Though this year when I was tubing the June Lake Loop, I did see a guy who had a tiny little inflatable that he put his dog in and he tied that to his float tube. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 08:42:49 AM »
Wonder what the dog thought of that.....
 laugh
Whatabout a canoe or scanoe? Easier to flyfish from.

I've got one of these

I like it a hell of a lot more than a float tube, but its hard to fish and hold your position on a windy day.  I'd like to upgrade to one with a casting platform, but instead I'm leaning towards a canoe.  Lots of rivers to fish around here.
JD

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 08:46:03 AM »
I've actually been on and off looking for something for flyfishing. Not sure if I would want to go the 14' or so aluminum boat with an 8-12hp outboard route, or go with one of the smaller bass boat designs with a 25hp or so motor. Both with trolling motor of course.

I really like float tubing to flyfish lakes, but want the boat so my dog can go with me. Though this year when I was tubing the June Lake Loop, I did see a guy who had a tiny little inflatable that he put his dog in and he tied that to his float tube. Smiley

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 09:29:10 AM »
I like it a hell of a lot more than a float tube, but its hard to fish and hold your position on a windy day.

I definitely like the seating position and style of the pontoon boats, plus the general ease of getting around compared to a tube, but a couple of the lakes I fish in will catch an afternoon wind that sends those guys flying all over the place. If I ever got one, I think I'd almost for sure stick a trolling motor on it  Smiley

Oh, and the dog in the inflatable was happier than a pig in the mud. I tried getting some pictures on my phonecam, but missed the opportunity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."