Author Topic: Actress admits to hunting -- PETA makes up statistics  (Read 4353 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Actress admits to hunting -- PETA makes up statistics
« on: August 08, 2008, 09:16:54 PM »
Gotta love an actress who's hot, hunts, eats what she kills, ticks off PETA to the point where they make up BS statistics, and is hot.  grin

Former "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" actress Eliza Dushku has upset animal rights activists after she revealed she hunts elk and deer.

The actress proudly showed off her bow and arrow skills on late-night talk show "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" on Wednesday and boasted about killing a deer in Oklahoma last Christmas.

She also revealed she was hunting for elk in Colorado when she landed her role in the upcoming TV series "Dollhouse."

Realizing the studio audience had turned on her over her Bambi-killing antics, Dushku joked, "My mother called me herself and said, 'You're a liberal from New England, what the 'f' are you doing in Oklahoma shooting things."

And when Kimmel took the actress to task for her hunting boasts, she defended her actions by stating, "When you're in a relationship with somebody you have to, like, experience things that they do."

She added, "A lot of people eat meat ... and I eat what I kill."

Dushku's remarks have angered People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals activists, who insist the actress should put down her bow and stop hunting.

A spokeswoman for the organization says, "Slaying bloodthirsty vampires on 'Buffy' is brave, but slaying innocent animals where they live and raise their families is cowardly and cruel.

"Eliza is sorely out of step with the rest of the country; 95 percent of Americans oppose hunting."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Actress admits to hunting -- PETA makes up statistics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:21:56 PM »
"Eliza is sorely out of step with the rest of the country; 95 percent of Americans oppose hunting."

And who have they talked to?  I can take a poll and say that 100 percent of Americans favor hunting.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 10:56:36 PM »

IIRC, I remember reading in a NRA Magazine that something like either 30 or 50 MILLION Hunting Licences were issued last year.  Given a population of ~330 million that's roughly 10% at a minumim that actually go out and HUNT.

PETA lies again,  I'm, shocked....SHOCKED I tell you !!!!.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 12:00:15 AM »

IIRC, I remember reading in a NRA Magazine that something like either 30 or 50 MILLION Hunting Licences were issued last year.  Given a population of ~330 million that roughly 10% at a minumim that actually go out and HUNT.

PETA lies again,  I'm, shocked....SHOCKED I tell you !!!!.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all species doesn't require a license either, right? Or do you need a license to go shoot some bunny rabbits as well, or to go out hunting those critters who dig holes that the cattle break their legs in?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 02:21:37 AM »
So can I go hunting this morning or not?  cheesy

Here in CT you need a license to shoot just about anything. Except people of course.  grin

Oh, and since I'll be hunting coyotes, I don't think I'll be eating what I kill.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 02:47:19 AM »
I'm not sure how I would react if I ran into her out hunting deer. She isn't bad looking at all.

I do like it when celebrites make the headlines for something other than going to rehab or being arrested for DUI.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 02:53:27 AM »
She's much better looking when she's not made up like an Indian by someone who wielded the makeup brush like a trowel.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 04:00:05 AM »
I used to know this chikie who , although quite stunning, plastered it on. One day some other chickie came up to her and said, "Nice clown!"  shocked  cheesy

There there the old, Stosh and Stanley were hunting and came across this beautiful naked woman in the woods. Stosh said, "Are you game?" and she says, "Yes I am!", so Stanley shot her.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 04:19:26 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all species doesn't require a license either, right? Or do you need a license to go shoot some bunny rabbits as well, or to go out hunting those critters who dig holes that the cattle break their legs in?

You're close.  I'm fairly certain bunny rabbits require a license, but varmits are fair game any time, by any means.

I like .22-250 on woodchucks and coyotes when i'm actually hunting for them, and late 90's F series Ford when they get too close to the road.  laugh

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 04:57:22 AM »
I've always liked Eliza Dushku....now I have another reason to like her..... grin

She's much better looking when she's not made up like an Indian by someone who wielded the makeup brush like a trowel.

If all you're looking at is her makeup, then I'm gonna start worrying about you now.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 06:22:47 AM »
Dushku's remarks have angered People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals activists, who insist the actress should put down her bow and stop hunting.

I can agree with part of that.  She should start hunting with an AK.

So PETA has given up on even being taken seriously, and is just telling obvious lies now?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 07:41:46 AM »
PETA defines "the country" as 95% of the trust fund kids sitting about coffee shops in San Fransico and New York City.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 08:33:03 AM »

In general, you have to have a hunting licence to go hunting.  Generally small game, like squirriels, rabbits, or varmints only require a licence.  Certain species (like turkey, deer or elk) require that you also buy a "tag" to hunt that species (One tag = One animal).   Waterfowl and/or some gamebirds may require a special stamp or two, depending on the state/fed law, once you have the stamp you can harvest up to the bag limit every day during that species' season.   

For example I live in Illinois.   I buy a hunting licence with a habitat stamp (~$13, IIRC), that allows me to hunt small game and gamebirds.  I also hunt deer so I have to buy archery tags to hunt deer and turkey with a bow and arrow during archery season. I get two deer tags and a turkey tag for $30 I also buy tags ($15 each or $45 for three) for the firearm (shotgun, handgun and muzzleloader) and muzzleloader only seasons to hunt deer with those firearms during their respective seasons.   If I wanted to hunt waterfowl, then I would have to get a "duck" or federal waterfowl stamp for $10.50.  Generally it costs me less then $100 in licences and tags to hunt per year.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »
In Montana, only specific species are regulated, such as deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, cougar, bobcat, turkeys, upland game birds, and waterfowl.  Everything else is "fair game."

We don't even have such a thing as a "small game license".

Rabbits, gophers, porcupines, coyotes, most foxes, rattlesnakes, etc are basically considered vermin.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 12:52:56 PM »
Rabbits, gophers, porcupines, coyotes, most foxes, rattlesnakes, etc are basically considered vermin.

And politicians? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »

And politicians? 
They give you $100 for every head you brought in as a proof.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 01:44:01 PM »

And politicians? 

No, just environmentalists and animal rights activists Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 10:51:28 PM »
I'm not sure how I would react if I ran into her out hunting deer. She isn't bad looking at all.

I'm not at all certain anyone here would recognize her when she is bowhunting.  Less shiny, I'm sure. Wink

Good for her--and us.

And when Kimmel took the actress to task for her hunting boasts

Jimmy, call the office--your "Man" credentials have expired.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 07:49:05 AM »
A spokeswoman for the organization says, "Slaying bloodthirsty vampires on 'Buffy' is brave, but slaying innocent animals where they live and raise their families is cowardly and cruel.

I would think paying a butcher to restrain a cow while he cuts its throat and bleeds it to death is far more cruel and cowardly?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 09:05:54 AM »

I would think paying a butcher to restrain a cow while he cuts its throat and bleeds it to death is far more cruel and cowardly?

Oh, don't worry, they're against that too.  PETA is fairly famous for their campaign against the cattle and poultry industries.  Apparently, the only innocent animals PETA wants us to kill are the millions of rodents and small mammals that get killed by wheat threshers every year....oh, and 80% of the animals that get dropped off at their "animal shelters" each year...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 09:06:25 AM »
slaying innocent animals where they live and raise their families

Hmmmm.... can't hunt bambi.

So, to save the bambies we should go and hunt all the wolves, right?  They slay innocent bambies.  That should be alright, yes?

But... we can't slay the innocent wolves where they live and raise their families.

But the innocent wolves are slaying the innocent bambies!

I'm so confused.  But... wait a minute!  This isn't about animals.  It's about control.  Phew.  That was scary-confusing for a second.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 03:31:01 AM »
Oh, don't worry, they're against that too.  PETA is fairly famous for their campaign against the cattle and poultry industries.  Apparently, the only innocent animals PETA wants us to kill are the millions of rodents and small mammals that get killed by wheat threshers every year....oh, and 80% of the animals that get dropped off at their "animal shelters" each year...

I used to get a lot of membership offer mailings from PETA. Perhaps my being a sucker softie for the critters got out somehow. I read about how they kill most of the animals delivered to their shelters and printed out that article along with one about how some of the animal carcasses were being dumped in the trash of other businesses, along roadsides, etc. When I got the next membership offer from them, I enclosed those articles with a note that said, "I'm not interested in joining your organization. Here's why." I haven't heard from them since.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).