Author Topic: 24 Redemption  (Read 4349 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
24 Redemption
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:55:26 AM »
Did anyone watch it last night? I think this is the first time I saw the UN portrayed on TV the way we usually talk about them here. Jack's lines to the UN wuss at the school were classic.

"Save the helmet for the parade"
"Get in the shelter with the rest of the children"

:laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: 24 Redemption
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:57:02 AM »
I've never been a fan.  The whole trample anyone and everyone's civil rights to get to the bad guy thing doesn't sit with me and I couldn't ignore it enough to watch.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 11:13:55 AM »
This is the show where they torture a guy who is not the suspect and whom they know not to be the suspect because he may have sort of spoken to the suspect, once. A guy who is the son of the Secretary of Defense. When one of the agents suggests this is a bad idea, he gets brow-beaten.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:47:16 AM »
The fictional show, yes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:57:32 AM »
The fictional show, yes.

Which is exactly why it is disgusting. It promotes this sort of stuff deliberately, rather than depict some form of reality.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »
Jesus Christ -- go start a politically oriented "I hate 24 thread" and quit mucking up mine. You guys don't have to be serious 24 hours a day.

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »
I couldn't watch it last night, so I'm going to have to catch up this evening.  Even though I know the show is a bit over the top, it's still awesome. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 12:32:21 PM »
I would have watched it, but...

THERE WAS NO TIME!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 01:06:17 PM »
I was disappointed nobody gave that Enfield MkIV a chance to speak.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 01:12:59 PM »
Jesus Christ -- go start a politically oriented "I hate 24 thread" and quit mucking up mine. You guys don't have to be serious 24 hours a day.

XD On an all new 24 Serious. beep beep beep beep.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 01:33:31 PM »
?? I didn't  even know it was on!!
shoot!!!

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 02:05:20 PM »
I was disappointed nobody gave that Enfield MkIV a chance to speak.

Yeah, that was cool -- I was wondering which model it was.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 02:43:25 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 03:49:42 PM »
Enjoyed the cutting remarks about the UN guy - best thing I saw in the movie.

And I see Jack still heals as fast as a Terminator. Notice when they put that hot panga on his face, you could hear the sizzle and see the steam rise . . . but, minutes later, no blisters, no charring.

And I found out that all you have to do is drive a bus off road a little, and it becomes INVISIBLE to baddies patrolling the road. YOU can see them from the bus windows clear as day, but the bus itself - gone.

I gave up at that point.  :rolleyes:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 05:28:48 PM »
that reminds me, I swore to give it up last year after "expert" shooters run around with fingers on triggers and useless racking of slides to make dramatic points.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »
This is the show where they torture a guy who is not the suspect and whom they know not to be the suspect because he may have sort of spoken to the suspect, once. A guy who is the son of the Secretary of Defense. When one of the agents suggests this is a bad idea, he gets brow-beaten.

So...it's like "Without A Trace"....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »
Did anyone watch it last night? I think this is the first time I saw the UN portrayed on TV the way we usually talk about them here. Jack's lines to the UN wuss at the school were classic.

"Save the helmet for the parade"
"Get in the shelter with the rest of the children"

:laugh:

Absolutely loved that part.  For me, the episode spend too much time setting up the next season and not enough time focusing on Jack Bauer kicking ass.  Still, a solid B.  Also, my TV is too small and grainy to tell, what pistols were in the episode?  Definitely weren't his usual HK, but I couldn't get enough of a look to tell anything more than black and polymer.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »
Yeah, would have liked to see more time in Africa fighting bad guys, less time in DC. I was thinking maybe Sigs, but I don't know my polymer pistols well enough to be sure.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 06:22:45 PM »
more bad guys in dc
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »
Enjoyed the cutting remarks about the UN guy - best thing I saw in the movie.

And I see Jack still heals as fast as a Terminator. Notice when they put that hot panga on his face, you could hear the sizzle and see the steam rise . . . but, minutes later, no blisters, no charring.

And I found out that all you have to do is drive a bus off road a little, and it becomes INVISIBLE to baddies patrolling the road. YOU can see them from the bus windows clear as day, but the bus itself - gone.

I gave up at that point.  :rolleyes:

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief a little. those are well worn Hollywood conventions that I am willing to let them get away with. 

more bad guys in dc

QFT 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 07:36:14 PM »
Also, my TV is too small and grainy to tell, what pistols were in the episode?  Definitely weren't his usual HK, but I couldn't get enough of a look to tell anything more than black and polymer.

They looked like Glocks to me.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 01:37:58 AM »
Edited to remove serious material. 

They should do a scene where Jack Bauer uses a copy of the constitution to roll up some tobacco and smoke it in the field. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:45:36 AM by shootinstudent »
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 12:20:36 AM »
Edited to remove serious material. 

They should do a scene where Jack Bauer uses a copy of the constitution to roll up some tobacco and smoke it in the field. 

Dammit, there isn't enough time!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 12:24:55 AM »
Dammit, there isn't enough time!

You're right, we need to fit it into the story line.  I'm thinking it calls for a scene like this:

Bauer learns that a high school teacher in the area just happens to teach the son of one of the shadowy terrorists.  Believing on a hunch that the teacher might have some information on the whereabouts of the boy, he charges in to ask.

When the civics teacher tells Bauer she's not answering any questions without a warrant or court order, Bauer rips the giant paper copy of the constitution off her chalkboard, wads it up, and shoves it down her throat to muffle the screams as he pours battery acid from his trusty ford on her arms.

Not only does she talk, it turns out she was having an affair with the terrorist himself and has the key to nukes hidden in her birkenstocks.

:)
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 06:51:30 AM »
I watched it last night, finally.  I'm really looking forward to the start of next season.  I'm hoping it ends up with Jack kicking the snot out of a few senators.  BTW, the comments to the U.N. guy were awesome.