Author Topic: taser worked!  (Read 4352 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
taser worked!
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:57:50 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/13/AR2009101300838.html

Tasered woman says next time she'll `say nothing'

T
Who's Blogging
» Links to this article
The Associated Press
Tuesday, October 13, 2009; 12:05 PM

NEW YORK -- A 72-year-old Texas woman who was Tasered during a traffic stop when she dared a deputy constable to use the stun gun said Tuesday that if she got pulled over again she would say nothing.

In an interview on NBC's "Today" show, Kathryn Winkfein acknowledged that she lost her temper during the May 11 confrontation and that if she had to do it over, "I would just not say anything, not react."

Winkfein was stopped for driving 60 mph in a 45-mph zone near Austin. A dashboard camera in the deputy constable's car shows the 4-foot-11 Winkfein getting out of her truck, arguing with the officer and swearing at him.

The video, released nationwide, shows the officer using the Taser and Winkfein hitting the ground and moaning in pain.
ad_icon

The incident is being reviewed by prosecutors. An internal investigation found no violations by the deputy constable.

Winkfein this month accepted a $40,000 settlement offer from Travis County. County Judge Sam Biscoe said defending a lawsuit would have cost much more.

Based on the tape, Winkfein said she did not behave in an appropriate manner. But she said Tuesday she thought she was mistreated, given her age.

"I just lost my temper. I do that maybe twice a year, but that day I lost it," Winkfein said.

Her attorney, Thomas Tourtellotte, said his client twice offered to sign the ticket being written by the officer.

"He could have easily said: `Let's step over here, let's sign the ticket, and we can all go down the road,'" Tourtellotte said.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: taser worked!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:10:44 PM »
taser worked!

Too bad the officer didn't. =|

I remember this.  Woman was a moron... but I take offense to the implication that the taser is an educational tool to achieve compliance.

She doesn't deserve $40K for being stupid.

The only people that lose in this case are the taxpayers, paying $40K for a stupid woman's mistake, and the rest of us that want to dispute a ticket (with more rational clarity and less passion) on the side of the road who might get the electric compliance generator as a result. =(
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:23:41 PM »
the rest of us that want to dispute a ticket (with more rational clarity and less passion) on the side of the road

Woman was a moron  thats a given  only a moron disputes a ticket on the side of the road
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:29:52 PM »
the rest of us that want to dispute a ticket (with more rational clarity and less passion) on the side of the road

Woman was a moron  thats a given  only a moron disputes a ticket on the side of the road

Well. If you think tazers are a proper punishment for stupidity, then this was helpful.

Consider this:

For $40,000 they could have imprisoned a real criminal for two years.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 07:32:01 PM »
As Daddy used to tell me, when applying the belt.  "If you won't learn through your ears, you'll have to learn through your backside."  Or in this case, her whole body. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »
Daddy was a wise man

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 08:50:37 PM »
But I never learned!   :laugh:

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:44:45 PM »
Is daddy still around? If so, we'll mail him, you seem to need more learnin'. :laugh:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:58:54 PM »
He turned 60 this year.  Still turning wrenches, too, or my cars wouldn't run. 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 07:32:17 AM »
Too bad the officer didn't. =|

I remember this.  Woman was a moron... but I take offense to the implication that the taser is an educational tool to achieve compliance.

She doesn't deserve $40K for being stupid.

The only people that lose in this case are the taxpayers, paying $40K for a stupid woman's mistake, and the rest of us that want to dispute a ticket (with more rational clarity and less passion) on the side of the road who might get the electric compliance generator as a result. =(

Kind of.  Most municipalities carry insurance which is meant to handle paying out in cases like this.  But we taxpayers pay for that insurance, and I imagine with the amount of stupid payouts, premiums are nice and high.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 08:28:51 AM »
But we taxpayers pay for that insurance, and I imagine with the amount of stupid payouts, premiums are nice and high.
That's the price we pay for electing the people we do.

Some years back, I remember a guy sued the city - I don't remember exactly where, but it wasn't a real big place like NYC or LA - and won a BIG settlement. When being interviewed after his court win, a reporter asked him "Do you think it's really fair to burden the taxpayers with a settlement that will cost them so much money? After all, they're not responsible for (whatever it was.) "

The reply was something along the lines of "Well, actually, they ARE responsonsible for choosing the wrong leaders - and now it's costing them. Maybe now the taxpayers will be more careful about who they elect to run their government."

(Unfortunately, I can't "opt out" just because I didn't vote for the idiots holding office.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:40:33 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 09:24:07 AM »
I imagine most of that money is going to attorney fees. 

The lady said she loses her temper twice a year.  You'd think she was more used to the consequences by now.

As long as the police there have a policy to use a taser before physical contact, this will come up again eventually.  I guess someone feels a lawsuit by an old lady who was tased is easier to defend than a lawsuit by an old lady who was manhandled and has a broken arm or something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:30:59 AM »
If only we could taze more people that get mouthy this world might be a better place.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 11:59:14 AM »
Well, heck - I have an idea!

Why don't we just call everybody in once a year, or maybe when they renew their drivers license, and taze them so they will know what it feels like? 

Then everybody will behave.

:rolleyes:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 02:57:51 PM »
If only we could taze more people that get mouthy this world might be a better place.
How about locking a Tazer collar around every elected official's neck, and setting it to shock him daily when his approval rating falls below 50%? (The poll would be taken only among people who actually voted in the last election.)

The shocks would come with increasing frequency with falling numbers or long-duration disapproval.

We could probably institute something like this on other government officials - school boards, principals, DMV employees, etc. Give everyone who has contact with them the opportunity to take an on-line survey, much like WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's, and various restaurants have been doing. If you work for .gov and the majority of your contacts with the public result in disapproval - zap!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 06:44:08 PM »
How about locking a Tazer collar around every elected official's neck, and setting it to shock him daily when his approval rating falls below 50%? (The poll would be taken only among people who actually voted in the last election.)

The shocks would come with increasing frequency with falling numbers or long-duration disapproval.

We could probably institute something like this on other government officials - school boards, principals, DMV employees, etc. Give everyone who has contact with them the opportunity to take an on-line survey, much like WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's, and various restaurants have been doing. If you work for .gov and the majority of your contacts with the public result in disapproval - zap!

best idea i've heard in a while. (evil laughter)

"The incident is being reviewed by prosecutors. An internal investigation found no violations by the deputy constable."

as far as the op, if it is standard operating procedure to taze lippy old ladies, the sheriff should be fired!  is that an elected position in texas?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 06:49:10 PM »
standard procedure to taze rather than fight. don't like tazer?  don't act like a frat boy on pcp in a cat house.

if granny shows her butt like that a couple times a year i'll wager shes been knocked down a time or 2

crt360

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 06:53:03 PM »

I guess someone feels a lawsuit by an old lady who was tased is easier to defend than a lawsuit by an old lady who was manhandled and has a broken arm or something.  

That's a very good guess.
For entertainment purposes only.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 07:09:59 PM »

as far as the op, if it is standard operating procedure to taze lippy old ladies, the sheriff should be fired!  is that an elected position in texas?

Yes, it's an elected position.  So is constable, which is the office of the deputy that did the tazing.  If it makes you feel better, I believe Texas DPS standard operating procedure involves a baton and pepper spray.  Fortunately, most 72 year old women are wise enough not to refuse signing a speeding ticket, resist arrest, and pick a fight with an officer on the side of a busy highway.
For entertainment purposes only.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 07:26:27 PM »
Yes, it's an elected position.  So is constable, which is the office of the deputy that did the tazing.  If it makes you feel better, I believe Texas DPS standard operating procedure involves a baton and pepper spray.  Fortunately, most 72 year old women are wise enough not to refuse signing a speeding ticket, resist arrest, and pick a fight with an officer on the side of a busy highway.

according to the article quoted,  the old lady got tazed for "getting out of her truck, arguing with the officer and swearing at him".   dps sop's are for batoning such behavior?  i thought things were bad here in ny.  perhaps there should be a link to the video or the other article you are referring to!

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 07:29:54 PM »

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »
notice granny lie  and her and the land shark both refuse to talk once the video was released

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 08:00:07 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En3_D_Xajj4&feature=fvsr

here is one with the constable defending the use of the tazer. 

still can't agree with the use.

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 08:30:53 PM »
how would you handle granny?

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
how would you handle granny?

send her a summons in the mail?