Author Topic: Best deals you let go by?  (Read 4347 times)

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
Best deals you let go by?
« on: February 15, 2011, 01:15:33 PM »
We always hear about the great deals we've gotten... let's cry about ones we missed.  I'll start:
CZ52.  They're cool and unique, and they used to be dirt-ass cheap, like $140, and surplus ammo was like $.07/rd.  All the surplus 52s seem to have dried up, and even the ammo is getting iffy.  J&G now sells fifties-production Polish stuff with a warning to expect cracked case necks.  I still want one, and probably would carry it from time to time, but at $250+ for a good one, it's out of the realm of cheap fun stuff and starts to cut into real-gun money(due respect, of course, to Jocassee and his TT).

P-64.  I have one, but at $160 I should have bought two.  As soon as they went C&R, they disappeared from the surplus wholesalers.  One fewer option for us perverse commie-gun lovers.

So what did you miss the boat on?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Best deals you let go by?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:24:56 PM »
Winchester 1892 "short rifle" in .44-40.  Years ago I saw one a t a gunstore in Connecticut when I lived there.  Already had a .44-40 rifle and didn't want another --BAD CHOICE!  That Winnie was way better.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:25:21 PM »
$99 Makarovs and $200 Police trade-in S&W revolvers.  I mainly missed the Maks because I'm not a huge semi-auto fan and didn't realize they would dry up and increase in value.  I missed the Smiths because I didn't know any better (ewww, used guns...).

I also passed on a $650 3" S&W "Lew Horton" 24 recently and a $1k fully stocked Mannlicher-Shoenaur 9.3mm rifle with nice a nice scope (the MS was several years ago, but it was still a good price then).

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:27:21 PM »
A half-dozen Mosin 91/30's at $69 each (and still able to count on getting decent bores from bulk retailers).

Police surplus .38special K-frames.

Never came across a Colt Trooper or similar Colt .38/.357 for what I consider a reasonable price that I keep hearing about with other folks.

I think I'm missing the boat on an M1 Garand and M1 Carbine from the CMP, but I don't have the $600/each I need to buy one. :'(
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:29:18 PM »
Oh, and a sub-$600 Ruger Redhawk 357mag.  I let that one pass by because it was an out of state purchase (was traveling) and had other things on my mind.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 01:50:04 PM »
Can't remember the model, but it is an older bolt action rifle with removable magazine.  Was chambered in .308 with a very good bore and barrel.  Had a scope.  $250.  Was around 2004 ish. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
I should have bought a Winchester Model 94 30-30 for $69.95 when I turned 18 ...  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »
Yeah, "Missed Deals" they're legion. Although just coming of age right at 18 in '91, when the import bans hit, and 21 in '93 right before the AWB, a lot of stuff got cheaper in terms of make and when I revisited some things again in '04, or bought AWB neutered stuff that was cheap when nobody wanted it, and could restore it with muzzle devices, or pistol grip stocks later.

Some I can think of...

MAS 49/56, even despite the 7.5 French ammo, was a rifle on par in terms of construction with an M14, and would probably cost $2000 to produce it commercially, for only around $250 at the time, even lower at their peak.

Every year that I dither on an M1 Garand...

Horrid pistol, but a decent conversation piece. I had a shot at a HK VP70z for only $300.

A Steyr SSP (semi stockless pistol version of the TMP SMG) for only $600. Now B&T is selling them through DSA for $1200+.

I've missed out on the $90 Nagant revolvers, when cheap .32 conversion cylinders were only $50.

There's a few things I am proud I got in on though, which greatly lessens the sting.

I got an FR-8 for only $125, on the smaller second imported lot.

Ishapore 2A's (MkIII SMLE's in 7.62 Nato) for $100.

The Romanian .22 training rifle for only $59.

A Saiga S12 for only $500 last November, before all the madness over the past month, and the supply dried up, possibly forever.

Draco AK pistol for only $300 last spring.

I promise not to duck.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 02:04:30 PM »
A Saiga S12 for only $500 last November, before all the madness over the past month, and the supply dried up, possibly forever.

Draco AK pistol for only $300 last spring.

Neither of those are great deals, and better prices can be had this very moment on both products.  =)

Also, S12s aren't going anywhere, relax.

I've missed out on the $90 Nagant revolvers, when cheap .32 conversion cylinders were only $50.

Again, that's still easy to find. Buy two or more, and you can get them for ~$75 each.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »
An HK91 for $700 or $800 back in '88 or so. Also a Colt Python Hunter from the same guy for $600. A Colt Anaconda for $600.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 02:12:38 PM »
Dick, $800 in '88 is ~$1700 today. You can get a decent HK91 (without scope) for about $2k. PTR clones are half that. That hasn't really changed, the value of the dollar has.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 02:17:54 PM »
Neither of those are great deals, and better prices can be had this very moment on both products.  =)

Also, S12s aren't going anywhere, relax.

Again, that's still easy to find. Buy two or more, and you can get them for ~$75 each.

I am relaxed. I have my S12. Just fine there, thanks.

And even if the ATF "Sporting Purposes" study leaves the Saiga S12 alone, Izmash has stopped production because of QC problems. Originally it was going to Izhvesk (Bikal brand arms) but no word as of yet... And it's unclear if Molot (bought by/put under Izmash) or Tula will be picking up production, or if anyone will.

Also, the major American importers have played musical chairs as well right before this happened.

So if Saiga's come back in, they'll be higher, and the weaker U.S. Dollar, and inflation tells me they'll probably be around $700 for the next round, if ever.

If any of the American companies were to try and pick up the slack, it'll easily be a $1000 shotgun, because unlike the other AKM pattern rifles, there's no supply of surplus parts or tooling for 12ga AK's to cut startup costs with.

So maybe we'll see 12ga AK's again, but I'm willing to bet never at $500 again.  =)

I promise not to duck.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 02:29:09 PM »
On the one hand I'm kicking myself for not getting a Saiga 12 when they were $300.

On the other hand I'm glad I got a .410 and 20 gauge for $200 and $230 respectively.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »
Painful.

I passed up a Ishy 7.62 Nato for $135 just a few years ago. Swedish 6.5MM Mausers in great shape for $145. Same thing with a under $400 new S &W Airweight.

I just couldn't swing it at the time.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 02:51:59 PM »
Stuff that the police over here will no longer issue licenses for if you want them for hunting (M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, AG42 Ljungman, Ruger Mini-14). They amended the rules recently =(. Those who have them can continue to use them, but no new licenses will be issued =( :'(.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

CSM Kersh

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 03:38:45 PM »

An American Eagle Luger for $60 back in the 1950s and a Singer 1911 in the late 1980s for $600.
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »
An American Eagle Luger for $60 back in the 1950s and a Singer 1911 in the late 1980s for $600.

:O

That's my all-time "dream gun."

Of course, I'd not have had $600 at any time in the 80's and there's the slight matter of being a minor that whole time.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »
I once passed on a FN-49 in excellent condition for $650.

I am glad I bought a Yugo Mauser when they were still $125 each.

I'm also sorry I passed on the CZ-52s when they were cheaper.  J&G Sales has Yugo Tokarevs in 7.62x25 (with a nine-round mag!) for $250, those are tempting.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »
Wish I would have bought another 1/2 dozen or more K-31s when they were $100 or less.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »
Nothing special.  I regret not picking up a Ruger Mark II Target for $200, instead of the Taurus Model 66 I did buy, about 20 years ago.  It was a stainless gun, very pretty, and when I picked it up it felt perfect

I did get a $100 Ishapore, and a $100 SKS.  They're not leaving my hands.  Got into Makarovs when they weren't quite as cheap.  Liquidated them as trade fodder along the way and did reasonably well.  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:20:17 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
Back in the late '70s or early '80s, a Colt 1911 for $2000. (IIRC, it was Serial #7)

All kinds of English double rifles back in those days . . . before ammunition became available again.

Should've bought more milsurp ammo just a few years back . . . or Lugers about 10-20 years ago.

But the worst thing, when looking at the mail order ads in old gun rags, is that GCA '68 came about while I was still in elementary school; if passage had held off until high school, or (even better)  college . . .  :facepalm:

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »
, Izmash has stopped production because of QC problems. Originally it was going to Izhvesk (Bikal brand arms) but no word as of yet.

Izhmas is suffering from a lot of issues related to the shotguns they make for the Russian domestic market, too.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
Dick, $800 in '88 is ~$1700 today. You can get a decent HK91 (without scope) for about $2k. PTR clones are half that. That hasn't really changed, the value of the dollar has.

Huh. So how come I could afford a real HK91 then, but I can't afford one now? ;)

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »
not sure if it was the best deal, but i let a colt 38 snubbie get by me last year.  it was lnib for $300. and i have kicked myself many times since, for not picking it up.

An HK91 for $700 or $800 back in '88 or so. Also a Colt Python Hunter from the same guy for $600. A Colt Anaconda for $600.

i also passed on an hk91 when they were reasonable.  i can't believe they are triple that price now. 

two thousand rounds of 7.62 for $300. the guy told me the next order's price was going to go up, and i thought he was yankin' me.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2