Author Topic: Wendy's Black Label Burgers  (Read 4400 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Wendy's Black Label Burgers
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:42:07 PM »
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/01/17/wendys-tests-black-label-burger.html

Introduced this past weekend, the new line consists of two premium burgers: the Bacon Portobello, a quarter-pound hamburger with mushrooms, muenster cheese, bacon, tomato and a pepper sauce; and the Santa Fe, a quarter-pound hamburger with pepper jack cheese and guacamole, both on a butter-toasted bun, spokesman Denny Lynch said.

These are being tested in Columbus, OH and Wichita, KS.
With price points of $4.69 and $4.49, they are high end burgers.

This seems surprising, given the fast food penchant for dollar menus during the economic downturn.
Wendy's has been fighting for some direction since the death of their founder Dave Thomas in 2002.
It looks like they are still floundering.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Wendy's Black Label Burgers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:12:50 AM »
I'm surprised they're not Green Label burgers. The new Wendy's down the street is covered in environmental evangelism posters, and the high-occupancy vehicle parking spots are closer to the door than the handicapped spots.

Another of their new burgers is the W, a double burger with cheese and Thousand Island dressing. W/o the dressing, it's not bad, and cheaper than their other double cheeseburgers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:09:45 AM »
I might try them, the high end burgers do sell. I still like a lot of what wendy's does, the baconator was out of the park.

These new burgers, any ad campaign that does not involve Zakk Wylde is pure marketing fail.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »
I got a couple of coupons in the paper so we decided to try Wendy's the other day.

The burgers (regular, not Black Label) were almost as good as the ones I remember during Wendy's prime when Dave Thomas was still active.

Most amazingly, and in a refreshing change from just a couple of years ago, all the employees at my local Wendy's actually spoke English!  :O

Based on a single sample, they seem to have pulled ahead of the other local fast food burger joints - Sonic, P. Terry's, and maybe even Whataburger.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »
Wendy's is the most sorry excuse of a hamburger joint around.  Since Dave Thomas died, it has really gone down hill.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »
I don't have a Wendy's near me, but I still try to stop by when I go elsewhere.  The Whataburger's down here are pretty good, but IMO Wendy's has the best spicy chicken sandwich around. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »

Based on a single sample, they seem to have pulled ahead of the other local fast food burger joints - Sonic, P. Terry's, and maybe even Whataburger.
Maybe Sonic's are different where you are.  IMO, Sonic is down in the gutter compared to Whataburger and Wendy's.  They might be ahead of Burger King, but that ain't saying much. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:37:08 PM »
Certainly some locations are better than others, but he Wendy's around here are quite good for a fast food burger.  The burger king across the street from one is the exact opposite of good.  It might be something to do with the staff.  The Wendy's here hires college and high school kids with decent managers, Burger King is staffed primarily out of the pre-release center.

Dairy Queen trumps all the traditional fast food (not short order) burger joints in town.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:01:15 PM »
Most fast food is pretty much the suck anywhere you go. Wendy's is maybe slightly above the rest around here.
Arby's is probably my first choice if I just have to do fast food. Of course even they are a crap shoot as to ser vice and quality. Even the one in Tulsa across the street from corporate headquarters (US Beef) has been crappy about half the times I've been in there.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »
That's why I always saved my lunch time for the end of the day and hit a great little bar and grill.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 05:19:18 AM »
Certainly some locations are better than others, but he Wendy's around here are quite good for a fast food burger.  The burger king across the street from one is the exact opposite of good.  It might be something to do with the staff.  The Wendy's here hires college and high school kids with decent managers, Burger King is staffed primarily out of the pre-release center.

Dairy Queen trumps all the traditional fast food (not short order) burger joints in town.

Ehh. DQ's only worth it for the ice cream, IMO.  Blizzards rock.
Wendy's is generally good, though I typically stick to their chicken, which they do well (spicy and regular filet sandwiches are AWESOME, if not especially healthy =)).  Decent fries, Frosties are tasty (and I've got that keytag for a free mini-Frosty with any food purchase, DC-area only). Salads can be pretty good, too, and the kids love the chili there.
Local BK is... fair, but I don't go there much anymore since they stopped with the sourdough-bacon burger.  If I want a burger, I go to Five Guys these days.
McDs is good for fries and shakes. And breakfast.  Best fast-food breakfast, IMO.
No local Arbys - at least, not one I see on any regular basis, there used to be one down in Springfield Mall, but I almost never get down there and I don't know if it's even still there.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 06:19:43 AM »
I'm becoming a Chick-fil-a addict. The stores are clean, good staff, free wi-fi.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 08:29:53 AM »
I'm becoming a Chick-fil-a addict. The stores are clean, good staff, free wi-fi.
But just try to get something there on a Sunday.  ;)

Maybe Sonic's are different where you are.  IMO, Sonic is down in the gutter compared to Whataburger and Wendy's.  They might be ahead of Burger King, but that ain't saying much. 
Well, I did say Wendy's was ahead of Sonic, didn't I?  ;)

Rating the local fast food burger joints, I'd put Whataburger and Wendy's in a tentative tie (one recent trip to Wendy's isn't conclusive), followed by Sonic and P. Terry's. The latter is part of a small local chain and opened within the past year in my area; it gets generally high marks on the rating boards, but the one time I went there the burgers were undercooked and the fries were soggy.

There's a "Mighty Fine" burger chain in Austin that I like, but they're not "local" to me. Eventually I'll try "Five Guys" too if I'm in the area and want some fast food.

McDonald's and BK? Only eat the former if I'm in an airport (so far, it's been safe, if not really tasty) and haven't been to BK since they were running commercials with the creepy, grinning King.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:49 PM »
Only "chain" I frequent for burgers is Sonic because of the variety and I know which ones in my area to avoid.  Taco Bell is on the list of places to frequent that is "fast food."

Anymore though I am more inclined to go to the mom and pop's that are still around Tulsa or a "new" joint Fat Guys in Tulsa.

DQ in Oklahoma is few and far between.  Our ice cream place is Braum's and they do decent food, biscuits and gravy some of the best for "fast food" and then of course ice cream desserts.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 12:05:42 PM »
Certainly some locations are better than others, but he Wendy's around here are quite good for a fast food burger. 

Yup, it mostly depends on where you go. McDonald's and Jack in the Box are usually not that great, in my experience. Comparatively, Wendy's and most other joints are not bad.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
I guess Wendy's is okay if you like everything on your burger. If you have them leave off all the healthy stuff, not so much. Several different locations I've been to. They all have significant pickle residue when I explicitly say no pickles - as if they'd just scraped it off the burger instead building a new one. Even McDonald's gets that right.