Author Topic: Firearm Malfunction Quiz  (Read 1748 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Firearm Malfunction Quiz
« on: November 14, 2015, 04:07:58 PM »
http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/11/11/video-quiz-can-identify-10-gun-malfunctions/

This was interesting.  Guess the malfunction based on the video.  Some of the videos are impressive. 

I only got 6.  Some of the videos it is hard to see what is happening.  I thought #9 was just wrong, but maybe others call that something else. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Firearm Malfunction Quiz
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:35:03 PM »
"Failure to everything"

=D

8/10.  Missed 4 and 7.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 05:16:33 PM »
7. On the first one I couldn't see if the stovepipes were vertical or horizontal. On the other two, who knows?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 06:25:10 PM »
"Failure to everything"? I thought that malfunction was called "shooting a .22 semi-auto."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 06:32:51 PM »
7 out of 10.

The second video was hard to see. I did like the "failure to everything." *chuckles*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 06:47:35 PM »
The videos are in a different order when I open the page again, so y'all may want to identify which videos you're talking about.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
The videos are in a different order when I open the page again, so y'all may want to identify which videos you're talking about.

The AR in the van. I didn't see the smoke and such the first time. I was really confused by it the first time around and just guessed.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »
The AR in the van. I didn't see the smoke and such the first time. I was really confused by it the first time around and just guessed.

I guessed on that too.  I had a hard time figuring it.  Something blows the magazine out.  He replaces it, cycles a round into the chamber and tries to fire.  Nothing fires.   I guessed (wrong) on that one.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 08:05:44 PM »
With the AR in the van, you hear a round hitting the floor every time he cycles the bolt, so it's chambering and extracting rounds.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 08:06:59 PM »

I guessed too soon on that one. Didn't watch the whole video.

I also missed the hangfire one, because the video was started at a bad spot and I missed the hammer drop.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »
8/10.

Missed van and girl shooting the pistol.  I think both of their answers are wrong.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
"Failure to everything"? I thought that malfunction was called "shooting a .22 semi-auto."

That should be failure to feed since the magazine let several rounds out.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 08:33:35 PM »
I'd say a couple of those were NOT what they answer said they were.

One said "hang fire" but you could see the girl pulling the trigger twice -- the first one was a "click," the second actually fired the thing. It could have been a high primer, it could have been the slide slightly out of battery, etc.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »
8/10.

I missed 3 and 7. I think 7 (the blown-up black powder revolver) could as easily have been a barrel obstruction -- I watched the video several times and I couldn't detect anything coming out of the muzzle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »
I'd say a couple of those were NOT what they answer said they were.

One said "hang fire" but you could see the girl pulling the trigger twice -- the first one was a "click," the second actually fired the thing. It could have been a high primer, it could have been the slide slightly out of battery, etc.

Agreed. She definitely pulled the trigger a second time.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »
Missed the auto-ing SKS(?) because I clicked too fast without reading all the options, and the AR in the van because NOTHING about that makes me think 'squib'.  ;/
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
What did you think of the guy doing a double fire with an M1 Garand?  They called in slam fire.  I thought that was called milking the trigger as it is a shooter malfunction, not a rifle malfunction.  I thought slam fire was when the firing pin was jammed forward. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 09:30:48 PM »
Missed number 6, why couldn't that be a hammer follow?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 10:25:01 PM »
Missed number 6, why couldn't that be a hammer follow?

Again, the website doesn't put the video in the same order for everyone. Nobody knows what your number 6 was.

I thought the guy in the van had a squib load, which is why the rounds weren't going into battery (barrel obstruction). Then, when the round got shoved in far enough, he chambered another round, fired, and it blew the magazine out.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 12:47:24 AM »
I missed 3 and 7. I think 7 (the blown-up black powder revolver) could as easily have been a barrel obstruction -- I watched the video several times and I couldn't detect anything coming out of the muzzle.

I heard the round hit the target.  Also, from what the observers said, he hit it.

The lady who had to pull the trigger twice was my last one, I answered hang fire because I knew it wasn't a squib, failure to feed, or double fire.

I would have termed it a 'failure to fire', as it took a second strike of the firing pin to set it off.

I was really guessing on the stovepipe - I knew it was one, but I've only ever heard of stovepipe - never horizontal or vertical.  Same with the black powder - I flipped a coin between 'old powder' and 'wrong powder', but ended up going with 'wrong' because old could be considered wrong, and 'old powder', properly stored, isn't normally a big deal.

Anytime the gun blows up a short fire is a good guess as to culprit, as long as it's not the first shot...

10/10

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 07:42:39 AM »
missed the van one- had the sound turned off and answered before watching the whole thing,,,

Missed the slamfire one- I've had that happen once myself.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 09:38:31 AM »
I was really guessing on the stovepipe - I knew it was one, but I've only ever heard of stovepipe - never horizontal or vertical. 

Ditto.

In fact, I don't think there is any such thing as a "horizontal stovepipe." A stovepipe is simply one type of a failure to eject, and it's nicknamed "stovepipe" because the open mouth of the empty case is sticking straight up ... like a stovepipe. Stovepipes don't point sideways, so the concept of a "horizontal stovepipe" is ridiculous.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »
Ditto.

In fact, I don't think there is any such thing as a "horizontal stovepipe." A stovepipe is simply one type of a failure to eject, and it's nicknamed "stovepipe" because the open mouth of the empty case is sticking straight up ... like a stovepipe. Stovepipes don't point sideways, so the concept of a "horizontal stovepipe" is ridiculous.

Never heard of the term either but I have seen them. Its very possible to have a cartridge partially extract/cycle then jam itself up partially in the chamber.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 01:28:56 PM »
Ditto.

Watch the video again.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »
In regards to the whole "she pulled the trigger a second time" debate;

That's one of those little Ruger's, right? I don't think they have one of those hybrid pre set triggers, which means the second trigger pull isn't going to do squat.