Author Topic: Total Solar Eclipse Aug. 17, 2017  (Read 4368 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Total Solar Eclipse Aug. 17, 2017
« on: August 30, 2016, 05:12:47 AM »
Ok, there is going to be a total eclipse visible across most of the  US on  August 21st 2017. (It's a Monday)
I want to photograph it.
The path of totality closest to me is from NE Kansas passing north of KC heading generally SW across MO  passing south of St Louis. I consider that to be mostly in "day trip" range.
Anyone in the path of totality willing and able to host me and my camera for a couple of hours?

Edit to correct date/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:04:08 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Total Solar Eclipse Aug. 17, 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 07:05:38 AM »
Welp, that guarantees that there will be absolute monsoon rains in Northern Virginia that day.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
Northern Virginia doesn't get to play with totality anyway.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 08:37:18 AM »
Not total in CO. This interactive map might be helpful to those willing to put you up:

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

You might want to start looking at hostelries in that path to reserve a place looong before 21 Aug 17, then cancel out if some APS denizen can put up with you put you up.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 08:48:05 AM »
I'm not sure how to read that map...

Does it show the totality zone, with lesser percentages visible to north and south, or does it mean the eclipse is only visible in that zone?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:51:08 AM »
We are directly in the zone of totality. Should be exciting. Even if it's cloudy it will get really dark.

I witnessed a partial or total eclipse, i'm not sure which, in South Africa in 2002. I remember that it happened but for some reason have no memory of the actual event. So I'm looking forward to it.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:53:43 AM »
I saw a partial in 1992 or so here in Northern Virginia.

Maybe 15%.

Not very amazing.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
I'm not going to be in the path of totality, I'm slightly too far south living in KC.  However, you're welcome to pop in here if you want.  Take a nap, get refreshments, etc.  =)

I've been debating heading up to St. Joe to check it out myself.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 10:01:40 AM »
I saw a total or near-total eclipse in the late 1990's in Rochester, MN.  I didn't know about it until a couple of hours before, so had to make a dash to the welding supply store for some filters.  They didn't have any #14's; I think I stacked a 5 and an 8 and still had to squint.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 10:02:40 AM »
I'm usually in Idaho that time of year. Even the correct part. I'll need to put this on my calendar.

The last time I saw one, I didn't see it because it was fogged out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »
I saw a total or near-total eclipse in the late 1990's in Rochester, MN.  I didn't know about it until a couple of hours before, so had to make a dash to the welding supply store for some filters.  They didn't have any #14's; I think I stacked a 5 and an 8 and still had to squint.

So, I shouldn't use my binoculars?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 10:33:08 AM »

100 power spotting scope
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 11:04:57 AM »
http://stlouiseclipse2017.org/

Missouri ranks #1 of the states in the path, with 3.4 million of its residents living directly in the path of totality.  St. Louis has 1.6 million residents living within the path of totality and is tied with Nashville for the most [sic] number of residents living directly within the path.

Looks like we'll see it about 1 pm, and my workplace is a block or two from "totality."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 12:10:28 PM »

I've read that a #12 welding filter is sufficient, but it's really not.  Perhaps because my eclipse was not quite total?  

The filters are cheap and the numbers are additive; buy an assortment and stack them to add up to about 14 or 15.  Take a peek, and adjust.
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 12:23:37 PM »
The last really nice eclipse I saw was on January 4th, 1992. I was in San Diego so we ran up to Ft Rosecrans National Cemetery. It was an annular eclipse that happened at sundown, pretty neat. I knew nothing about taking pictures of eclipses (still don't) but I dragged my OM10, tripod and filters, GF and kids up there anyhow. Somehow I actually got a decent picture or two.

bob

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »
http://stlouiseclipse2017.org/

Looks like we'll see it about 1 pm, and my workplace is a block or two from "totality."

I wonder if the looters have started making plans for totality yet?   =|

bob

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »
Guess my memory of eclipses is off.

I thought there had to be a full moon to have an eclipse and the full moon for Aug 2017 is on the 7th.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 12:46:58 PM »

I thought there had to be a full moon to have an eclipse and the full moon for Aug 2017 is on the 7th.

Ummmm..... the moon is the same size whether you can see all of it or not. Phase of the moon has nothing to do with eclipses, it is all positioning of the moon, earth and sun.

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 12:50:53 PM »
I wonder if the looters have started making plans for totality yet?   =|

Interestingly, North County (Ferguson-land) is outside the path. Only the south side will go dark.

Ummmm..... the moon is the same size whether you can see all of it or not.

Not sure if serious. I don't think he said the moon changes its size.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
Can't have a solar eclipse and a full moon. During a full moon, the moon is (roughly) on the opposite side of the earth from the sun, and thus couldn't obscure the sun. Solar eclipses can only happen with a "new moon", as that puts it between the earth and sun.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 01:21:37 PM »

Full moon for a total LUNAR eclipse.  Earth's shadow hits moon. 

This is a solar eclipse.  Moon's shadow hits earth.

Went up to Maine in the 1960s to catch a solar.  Camped in the woods by some river, Kennebec, Kennebunk?  Partly cloudy, so photography not so great.

Weird thing about it was how all the birds quit chirping during the time of totality.  It was darned dark pretty suddenly.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
Weird thing about it was how all the birds quit chirping during the time of totality.  It was darned dark pretty suddenly.

The darkest I can ever recall was in the middle of nowhere Montana with zero light pollution during a total lunar eclipse. I could not believe how dark it got during the totality part.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 01:39:42 PM »
For the link I posted for the 2017 one, the instructions are rather detailed and complex as far as durations, maximums, and locations, etc.

^^  Mine was this one:
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEplot/SEplot1951/SE1963Jul20T.GIF

Future Wife1 and I and two pals went up there for it.

Amusingly, she has movies of the campsite and all of us puttering about which I viewed with Son2 via digital copies of the 8mm movies. One of his comments was, "Mom was sure beautiful!"

She still is, actually.  My comment was, "Yeah, yer old man knew how to pick 'em."

I still love that old broad, but don't tell anyone.

Phase of the moon has nothing to do with eclipses

Not true.  Think it out.

Terry
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:08:11 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 02:14:32 PM »
100 power spotting scope

Heysoos Aitch Kreist, don't follow this advice.  I know he's kidding, but...

You can project an image of the eclipse onto a screen using binocs or a scope, but looking at the eclipse directly through a scope or binocs without heavy filtering is dangerous.  Sunglasses won't cut it, hence the remarks about heavy ND (Neutral Density, i.e. colorless, or gray) filters from a welding shop.

The screen itself may start to smoke before totality, too, depending on the optical device used to project the image.

You can also use a pinhole camera-like (look up camera obscura) arrangement to view the proceedings, but resolution of the image may not be the greatest, depending on the size of the "pinhole."

Around the times and locales of the eclipse, local media will give plenty of warnings about all this, but some folks just won't get the word.

It takes quite a bit of coordination and rehearsal WRT viewing devices, when to insert and remove filters, etc, etc, to capture a full solar eclipse adequately.

The business about "stacking" ND filters is good, because the available light becomes less and less as the eclipse approaches totality, and you can rapidly remove filters (with rehearsal) as it approaches a full annular eclipse.

By way of definitions, "full annularity" is the center image, courtesy Sky and Telescope magazine:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/uploads/May20_Eclipse_series_556px.jpg

Terry
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:53:22 PM by 230RN »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »
Full moon for a total LUNAR eclipse.  Earth's shadow hits moon. 

This is a solar eclipse.  Moon's shadow hits earth.

Went up to Maine in the 1960s to catch a solar.  Camped in the woods by some river, Kennebec, Kennebunk?  Partly cloudy, so photography not so great.

Weird thing about it was how all the birds quit chirping during the time of totality.  It was darned dark pretty suddenly.

See my dad always said the mind was the second thing to go....just could never remember the first.

Thank you,