Author Topic: Constitutional Carry Works in Arizona  (Read 906 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Constitutional Carry Works in Arizona
« on: July 24, 2019, 10:11:26 PM »
Constitutional Carry Works in Arizona: Armed 19-Year-Old Shoots, Kills, Carjacker
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/constitutional-carry-works-in-arizona-armed-19-year-old-shoots-kills-carjacker/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=38cdbc1a40-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-38cdbc1a40-21698227#axzz5ubEyks70

A young man who wouldn't be able to get a carry license in many states legally defends himself.  Good to see headlines like this.
He then noticed the suspect coming toward him from the back of the car holding a knife.

According to the police, the suspect demanded the 19-year-old's car.

At that point, the victim got out his handgun and fired shots at the carjacker. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Constitutional Carry Works in Arizona
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 10:46:51 PM »
FWIW, I know there's at least one state that issues permits to service members 18 or older. Probably more than one state.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 11:18:02 PM »
Indiana is a shall-issue state for 18+

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 11:37:33 PM »
The other suspect, 28-Year-Old Viviana Aldrete, has been arrested and charged with 1st degree felony murder and armed robbery. Felony murder is when an accomplice is knowingly involved in a crime with significant, foreseeable risk of death or severe injury. The accomplice can be charged with murder if their associate dies as a result of the attempted crime. Carjacking is one of those crimes.

A reminder to other criminal accomplices.  You and a buddy go to rob a bank, cops shoot and kill your buddy, you can be charged with his murder.

He (tje defender) has not given any interviews, nor has his identity been released by police.

This is a safety precaution. Even long term criminals have relatives and friends. Retaliatory attacks are always possible.

Something else to keep in mind.

Both quotes from: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/constitutional-carry-works-in-arizona-armed-19-year-old-shoots-kills-carjacker/#ixzz5uem1CvJF
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 11:44:49 PM »
The other suspect, 28-Year-Old Viviana Aldrete, has been arrested and charged with 1st degree felony murder and armed robbery. Felony murder is when an accomplice is knowingly involved in a crime with significant, foreseeable risk of death or severe injury. The accomplice can be charged with murder if their associate dies as a result of the attempted crime. Carjacking is one of those crimes.

I can't describe how much I loathe this type of prosecution.

There was an incident here in AZ about 8-10 years ago or so, with a high speed highway chase.  A news helicopter crashed while attempting to film it.  The guy driving the car was charged with 1st degree murder of the news chopper pilot.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 08:31:52 AM »
FWIW, I know there's at least one state that issues permits to service members 18 or older. Probably more than one state.

Idaho is constitutional carry for 18+ residents. Prior to this year, it was 18+ in rural areas and 21+ in cities, but new legislation dropped it to 18 everywhere. It's still worth getting at least a standard CCW permit here though, if only to skip the background check  and cut down on the paperwork when buying a gun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 08:48:01 AM »
I'm of mixed feelings on it.  If a criminal commits a crime that results in people's death (even if they didn't drop the hammer themselves) then they are the proximate cause of that death even if they didn't kill the person directly.  We can quibble on what the charge is called or the severity of the punishment or the extent to which it should be applied, but when a criminal action results in a situation that causes someone's death the person who set up that situation bears responsibility for that death. 
There was an incident here in AZ about 8-10 years ago or so, with a high speed highway chase.  A news helicopter crashed while attempting to film it.  The guy driving the car was charged with 1st degree murder of the news chopper pilot.
No, that is not true.  You can look up his case yourself: S-0700-CR-2009007091
Christopher Jermaine Jones (inmate number 211220) was hit with 41 charges relating to the chase, but none of them homicide - felony murder or otherwise.  NTSB ruled the crash to be pilot error and as far as I can see Jones was not charged with anything relating to the crash of the helicopter or the deaths that resulted from that crash.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
No, that is not true.  You can look up his case yourself: S-0700-CR-2009007091
Christopher Jermaine Jones (inmate number 211220) was hit with 41 charges relating to the chase, but none of them homicide - felony murder or otherwise.  NTSB ruled the crash to be pilot error and as far as I can see Jones was not charged with anything relating to the crash of the helicopter or the deaths that resulted from that crash.

Huh.  Nooz must have dropped the story when they didn't get what they wanted.

It was all over the nooz when it happened and how he was going to be prosecuted for the pilot's death, when it happened.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 10:42:19 AM »

And I remember a case where an escapee was going to be charged with Murder 1 because an LEO responding to the call crashed his car - about 40 miles away! Don't know if they actually proceeded with charges.

These cases are different than an actual accomplice - however involved - in a crime with a death as a result of the actual crime, and were I on the jury, I'd probably acquit on all charges since the credibility of the prosecution would IMHO be zero.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain