Author Topic: Gotham  (Read 3139 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Gotham
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:34:14 AM »
This thing is pretty good, so far. I like the use of period clothing styles, and outdated vehicles, even though it is obviously set in the 2010s. I think that's been done in other Batman productions. The villains are starting out pretty well.

(In case you are Tallpine, Gotham is a new Batman prequel TV series, on FOX.)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:40:35 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Gotham
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it has been, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:49:22 PM »
I have been avoiding it. Any show about Batman that does not have Batman in it, just defeats the purpose and makes no sense. However I have heard really good reviews on this series.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:21:58 PM »
It's not a show about Batman.

It's a show about what eventually made Bruce Wayne go rogue and turn into Batman.

I'd actually be kind of disappointed if they started throwing in Batman in his tights and ears.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:13 PM »
So far I like the show; except for the Fish character.  Sorry, Mrs. Smith can't pull off a BA character.  Not her.

The rest of it works well though.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »
I like fish moony.

it started kinda slow, but it has definatly picked up.

oh, and FYI, the Joker will not be in this Gothem, which I think is retarded, but whatever.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:29:49 PM »
oh, and FYI, the Joker will not be in this Gothem, which I think is retarded, but whatever.

I guess they want to stick with less cartoonish villains, so as not to throw off the noir vibe? I read somewhere that Two-Face won't be in it, either.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:33:47 PM by fistful »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
I guess they want to stick with less cartoonish villains, so as not to throw off the noir vibe? I read somewhere that Two-Face won't be in it, either.

they have the riddler and penguin, which are pretty cartoonish.

the reason they aren't putting in the joker is because of Heath Ledger.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:47:13 PM »
they have the riddler and penguin, which are pretty cartoonish.

the reason they aren't putting in the joker is because of Heath Ledger.

If because of Heath Ledger, that's really gay brokeback.  ;/

What I mean by cartoonish, is that the Joker has a surgically altered perma-smile, and always dresses like a clown. Penguin is just a well-dressed individual that carries an umbrella and walks funny. The riddler tells riddles. I think the latter two will be a lot easier to tone down, for a grittier Gotham.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 10:51:06 PM »

If because of Heath Ledger, that's really gay brokeback.  ;/

What I mean by cartoonish, is that the Joker has a surgically altered perma-smile, and always dresses like a clown. Penguin is just a well-dressed individual that carries an umbrella and walks funny. The riddler tells riddles. I think the latter two will be a lot easier to tone down, for a grittier Gotham.

the heath ledger joker was pretty gritty. and Two Face could be done as well, since his face was messed up when he had acid spilled on him. Both would be fairly easy.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 08:35:06 AM »
the heath ledger joker was pretty gritty.

For a movie, not television. A movie with a guy wearing a cape. I think the tone of Gotham is a little different.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »
Haven't seen this series yet but I've heard it's pretty good.

Also on the Joker talk... Possible spoiler if you are not that familier with the comic series.

I read that one of the episodes features the Red Hood. The Joker use to be the Red Hood. Depending on which origin story, the Joker was the Red Hood in the beginning, or it is more like the Dred Pirate Roberts where the title is passed on.
Eventually one of the Robins, Jason Todd, picks up the title of the Red Hood for himself.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »
My TV dance card has a limit of one show, and Gotham is that one show. My wife and I have enjoyed it a lot, and I agree that the show is getting better.

Spoilers for those that haven't seen "The Blind Fortune Teller" episode...

They would be insane NOT to use the Jerome character (guy that turned out to have murdered his mother) as the Joker. The actor nailed the right level of crazy at the end during his confession, a blend of Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger Jokers.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »
My TV dance card has a limit of one show, and Gotham is that one show. My wife and I have enjoyed it a lot, and I agree that the show is getting better.

Spoilers for those that haven't seen "The Blind Fortune Teller" episode...

They would be insane NOT to use the Jerome character (guy that turned out to have murdered his mother) as the Joker. The actor nailed the right level of crazy at the end during his confession, a blend of Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger Jokers.

No, that guy is the Joker. You don't put a psychopath like that on a Batman franchise show, with a laugh like that, unless you intend him to be the Joker.

I don't think the show is getting better. For me, it's losing its luster. I really did not appreciate them killing Don Falcone's pretty girlfriend (or whatever she was). They should have killed Fish, instead. Or that obnoxious bald guy, with all the girlfriends.

And I know the show was never exactly sunshine and kittens, but it's just getting too gory and twisted for me. After those scenes in the Dollmaker's lair, I'm not sure I want to keep watching.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »
"No, that guy is the Joker. You don't put a psychopath like that on a Batman franchise show, with a laugh like that, unless you intend him to be the Joker."

Exactly.

The series has established pretty much the entire world of Batman villians.

The young Cat will obviously become Catwoman.

Her friend Ivy will become Poison Ivy.

Edwad Nygma will become the Riddler.

Jerome Valeska will be the Joker (and looks like he's going to be awesome at it!)

The son of the teacher who was harvesting adrenal glands will become The Scarecrow.

Penguin, well, that's pretty obvious.

It will be interesting to see if they bring out any more of the villains from the DC series this season.