Author Topic: Where's sense of crisis in a 17% government shutdown?  (Read 3598 times)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Where's sense of crisis in a 17% government shutdown?
« on: October 05, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/wheres-sense-of-crisis-in-a-17-percent-government-shutdown/article/2536862

I asked a Republican source on the Senate Budget Committee for an estimate. This was the answer: "Based on estimates drawn from CBO and OMB data, 83 percent of government operations will continue.

Only 17%, gosh, I was hoping for a whole lot more.  Maybe they could send home a few White House and congressional staffers and bump that number up to 25%.   =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Where's sense of crisis in a 17% government shutdown?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 08:03:53 PM »
Looks like most of the "shut down" is affecting public facing operations. I heard today that they have shut down all the unattended boat ramps on the COE lake near my place by running a chain and padlock across them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 08:09:59 PM »
There are too many things that the government money, our tax dollars, support to completely shut down.  Funny thing is they try to shut down the mall and stuff in DC but yet there are still just as many Park Police and such on duty as before.  Just right now they aren't sure when they will get paid for the work they are doing.  Right now our elected officials are being petty and childish.  They say the military is fully funded but yet schools and training have been canceled along with AFN showing anything other than *expletive deleted*it that the DoD has produced.  No sporting events, no new season of the TV shows, but they do get to see/hear NPR.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
Interesting (and disgusting) on the attempt to shut down fishing access. I'm in the Inyo National Forest right now and for kicks drove by a few popular forest service entry roads to popular backcountry spots. They all have gates, but they were all open, and I saw some traffic. I'll have to look around more tomorrow.

I also haven't heard of any National Forest closures to the extent I've heard about National Park closures. I wonder if the Forest Service is not playing "let's make it hurt"?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:56:09 PM »
Nat forest here is closing some manned operations here such as the district ranger HQ, but the forest remains open. Half the campgrounds at the local NF lake are open, closing them the opening weekend of archery deer season would surely kick off Revolution 2.0. I feel like my area is getting increased fall foliage traffic since McScenic national park 70 miles east closed down. Funny how all the lodges and restaurants within are privately owned and operated concessions but still have to close during peak season.

I can't wait to see what all the barrycades, police to enforce closures, expensive signs and whatnot cost. I'm guessing more than leaving it open and collecting entrance fees where applicable.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »
Looks like most of the "shut down" is affecting public facing operations. I heard today that they have shut down all the unattended boat ramps on the COE lake near my place by running a chain and padlock across them.

Master key:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:36:15 PM »
Time.gov is down.

Because it took TEAMS of people to keep that site running...
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »
I drove by a bunch more National Forest areas today. I ran into three locked campgrounds (the kind with restrooms and trash service). Otherwise other campgrounds I saw were open, as were all the forest "picnic areas", albeit with locked restrooms and trash bins, which I can see. If there's no one there to take care of them, it could get a little ripe, plus the bears are everywhere right now up here, and overflowing trash bins could certainly be an attractant.

I didn't see any litter, so people using the areas seem to be taking their trash out with them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 07:39:18 PM »
I drove by a bunch more National Forest areas today. I ran into three locked campgrounds (the kind with restrooms and trash service). Otherwise other campgrounds I saw were open, as were all the forest "picnic areas", albeit with locked restrooms and trash bins,

Definitely a calculated move. 

National Forest?  You're in the woods, man!  Think!

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »

And remember, "Leaves a three, leave it be!"
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »

After five hours in a float tube, I took a leak right next to the locked restroom across from the lake. :)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 12:42:48 AM »
I went out to the desert today to play with my .44, and passed the Salt River Tubing sites near Sajuaro Lake off the Salt River, off Bush Highway.  The beaches were very dramatically closed off with traffic barriers and locked gates, there were illuminated LED road signs advertising the horrible disaster that Sajauro Lake was "closed" (whatever that means), and the campgrounds were closed.  But, the marina was still open.  People have boats permanently moored in the marina, and some folks even live at their mooring. 

How, pray tell, are you going to stop boats in the marina from going out on Sajuaro Lake? 

When I got out to my little national forest road where I go shooting, I half expected to need the first round from my pistol to knock the lock off the gate.  But, it was open.  Not sure if they didn't dare shut off this particular location, or just were too lazy to do it.  This particular area off Hwy 87 is used very often by dirtbikers, ATVers and shooters, not a group that tends to give a shyt about malum prohibitum laws anyways.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 10:21:02 AM »
I think it's illuminating that just about the ONLY noticeable effect that a government "shutdown" is having is to close some parks and monuments . . . and even in THOSE cases it's more political theatre than fiscal necessity.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 11:25:09 AM »
Locally, in rural Minnesota, it's my understanding that the federal Waterfowl Production Areas, open to public for hunting, are closed. There's never any federal people there, no facilities of any sort. It's just a wildlife area. But, in order to have an impact, they're no longer open to hunters. I guess I'd just go in anyway, since no-one's there to stop me.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
And ratcheting up the dumb.

Oh, Look !!!   Free Orange Cones !!!!

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/10/shutdown-theater-mount-rushmore-edition.php
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 12:00:59 PM »
I think it's illuminating that just about the ONLY noticeable effect that a government "shutdown" is having is to close some parks and monuments . . . and even in THOSE cases it's more political theatre than fiscal necessity.

They got your "parks and monuments" right here-

http://washingtonexaminer.com/feds-evict-elderly-couple-from-their-home-cite-shutdown/article/2536875?custom_click=rss

National Park Service officials cited the government shutdown as the reason for ordering an elderly Nevada couple out of their home, which sits on federal land.

"Unfortunately overnight stays are not permitted until a budget is passed and the park can reopen," an NPS spokesman explained to KTNV.

Ralph and Joyce Spencer, aged 80 and 77, respectively, own their home, but the government owns the land on which it sits.

"I had to be sure and get his walker and his scooter that he has to go in," Joyce Spencer told the local news outlet. "We're not hurt in any way except it might cost me if I have to go buy more pants."

It's their freaking home!

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the crown. It may be frail - its roof may shake - the wind may blow through it - the storm may enter - the rain may enter - but the King of England cannot enter.
William Pitt, the first Earl of Chatham, also known as Pitt the Elder

And that goes for the NPS as well.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
I guess we all need to stop breathing since the EPA is no longer keeping the air clean for us  :facepalm:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »
Fed.gov is "shut down" but they have the resources for this:

one example a privately run inn along the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina.

The innkeeper tried, unsuccessfully, to repel federal efforts to shut down his business, the Pisgah Inn, last week.

Owner Bruce O'Connell told FoxNews.com on Monday that rangers are still outside his business, blocking the entrance to the parking lot. As of late Monday morning, he said there were three cars and five rangers stationed outside.

"Their message is, 'sorry, we're following orders,'" he said, describing it as a "24/7 blockade."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/07/lawmakers-probe-reports-property-owners-kicked-off-federal-land-amid-partial/

Maybe will folks will start waking up and see just how vicious this regime is  [ar15]

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
All the Feds involved in this "shutdown" were explicitly told to make it "as painful as possible" to the the public.

"WAH wah wa- I don't get my way, your gonna get hurt! you'll see!"  That is our spoiled child sociopath "leader".

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 02:33:38 PM »
All the Feds involved in this "shutdown" were explicitly told to make it "as painful as possible" to the the public.

"WAH wah wa- I don't get my way, your gonna get hurt! you'll see!"  That is our spoiled child sociopath "leader".

The park closing will have less of an impact on the public in that, school is back in session, most people are just working.  The weather is getting colder, so going to national parks isn't the draw that it was 2 months ago and Disneyland is still open. :D  It may effect hunters some.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
The park closing will have less of an impact on the public in that, school is back in session, most people are just working.  The weather is getting colder, so going to national parks isn't the draw that it was 2 months ago and Disneyland is still open. :D  It may effect hunters some.

You're a little off.

It's getting on peak season here in VA and the rest of the Blue Ridge. People want to go look at all the pretty leaves.

Some folks are going to get hurt by this, who make money off the day trippers. I hope they get flaming mad at obama and his croneys for it too.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »
If I didn't have other stuff to do right now, I would go take a camping trip on the NF just to trespass  :P