Author Topic: I don't like caffeine.  (Read 2455 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
I don't like caffeine.
« on: August 18, 2007, 12:44:05 PM »
When I go a while without caffeine, I get a terrible headache.  Which must mean I'm addicted to caffeine and having withdrawals.
I don't like the thought of being addicted to anything, so I've been trying to get off of it.

Is caffeine bad?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Phyphor

• friend
Re: I don't like caffeine.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 01:00:20 PM »
Caffeine is god.

All worship the Granter of Awakeness....    grin

(Seriously, yes.  Too much caffeine is bad for you.  It's a good idea to cut your intake down, at minimum.)
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 01:14:39 PM »
My intake is a minimum anyway.
A soda or two during the day because that's all that's available.  But when I go out of work for a couple of days and I'm home drinking water, terrible headaches ensue.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 01:17:11 PM »
I quit all forms of caffeine about 25 years ago. No coffee, no Coke, or anything else with caffeine in it.

I was a heavy coffee drinker, but I found myself getting tired in the afternoon, and also getting the headaches you've described.

Quitting was easy, although it took a while before I felt wide awake in the morning without the help of coffee.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 01:18:30 PM »
If all you drink is one or two sodas a day and you still get withdrawal headaches, your sensitivity to caffeine must be goshawful high.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 01:52:22 PM »
I used to think I drank a lot of caffeine, until I moved to the Pacific Northwest...These people make me look like a teetotaler...I can drink half a pot before bed without serious sleeping trouble, but the folks around here are on freakin' IV drips, I swear.....
Hi.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 03:26:30 PM »
I don't like caffeine.

BLASPHEMER!!!!!  ALL mUSt paY HomAge To tHe eXtraCt of the Holy bEAN!!!

Kidding aside, I was long physically and psychologically addicted to caffeine.  I'd easily drink a pot of coffee before 2nd shift work, then another during my duty shift.  Could not sleep at night, bad headaches that often lead to migranes when I did not keep the titer up in the blood.  Over a long vacation break I suffered the pain and broke the addiction.

Now, I consume two 12 Oz mugs of coffee in the morning and no more.  It serves to help shake off the web of sleep in the morning hours, and on those now rare occasions I need an afternoon fix the hot water extraction of the Holy Bean works quite well to recharge and rejuvinate.

Is caffeine bad?  Well, in my view ANY addiction is a "Bad Thing" that should be overcome.  That you suffer symptoms apon deprivation of the substance tells me at least that you should re-examine your relationship to the drug.  Personally, the only chemicals I'm willing to tolerate an "addiction" to are fats, complex carbohydrates, proteins and water.  Would that I could do without those, but the vessel I currently reside in feels otherwise.

Oh, and those neurotramitters I can produce at will in my brain...  Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 04:10:54 PM »
You can have my coffee cup when you pry it from my shaking hands  laugh

I should cut down though - it keeps me awake all day  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
Is caffeine bad?

Caffeine  gooooood.

" It is by Caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion,
By the beans of Java, my thoughts acquire speed,
My hands acquire the shakes, the shakes are a warning,
It is by Caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 04:22:33 PM »
I should cut down though - it keeps me awake all day

Consciousness : That annoying time between naps.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 05:21:45 PM »
My thoughts exactly, Sindawe Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 05:47:16 PM »
I don't like caffeine much myself. Too much (as in a couple of cans of caffeinated soda in a short period of time) and I start to fell "unsettled." Not jittery, not like that, it's just some sort of annoying "unsettled" feeling.

Since I find it annoying, I forgo caffeine alltogether. No coffee, tea, and only rarely a soda, preferably not caffeinated.
Andy

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 05:55:53 PM »
i'm 30 hours into kicking caffeine got ropedin by a deal with coworker to quit caffeine if he quit smoking. i have a bad habit  12 - 24sodas a day with 30 once in a while if i'm sweating a lot. not the end of the world i slept ll daywith head ache prayed to perclain god a few times. last in a long line of chemicaladdictions i'n saying by by to

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 06:05:49 PM »
Dude, I gotta ziplock with a whole kilo of Hawaiian in the cabinet... Just gotta grind it up...

(and you know something? I think I said something similar to that about 25 years ago...)

Blog under construction

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 06:14:36 PM »
Dude, I gotta ziplock with a whole kilo of Hawaiian in the cabinet... Just gotta grind it up...

(and you know something? I think I said something similar to that about 25 years ago...)

Funny thing that.  BOTH compounds bind to receptors in the brain from what I understand. Sorta makes one wonder what mental state our long distant ancestors lived in..

"UGGH!!!  Did you see that?  The rock TALKED to me!"

"WHAT?ERGYOUBEFREAKINGMAN..BUGS!BUGSINMYEARHAIR!AAAHHHGETEMOUTGETEMOUT!GETEMOUT!AAAAGGGHGHHH!!!"

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 07:15:03 PM »
If your source is soda, it could be blood sugar causing the headaches rather than 'caffeine withdrawal.'
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 08:04:44 PM »
Is caffeine bad?

Caffeine  gooooood.

" It is by Caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion,
By the beans of Java, my thoughts acquire speed,
My hands acquire the shakes, the shakes are a warning,
It is by Caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion"

Don't tell me, you have blue eyes and live in a real sandy place.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 09:12:30 PM »
A life without caffeine is a life not worth living.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 09:18:19 PM »
In the morning, I shall worship at the shrine of Gaggia.

Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 10:36:19 PM »
Mmmm...caffeine good.  Caffeine is your friend. 
More caffeine!Caffeine is like rocket fuel, make RocketMan go much better.
If RocketMan did not have caffeine, RocketMan would have to get a life.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 01:29:06 AM »
I am loving caffeine at this moment.

No way I could get up this early and function and with out it.

edited to add: it also helps mother nature move things along, lol. I know TMI

Vile Nylons

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 05:28:18 AM »
I've been advised by the AMA that it relaxes the lower esophogeal sphincter at the top of your stomach causing GERD and hiatal hernia problems. Seems to be that way for me.  From what I'm reading here it's apparently indiscrimate when it comes to relaxing sphincters in general.

But boy do I miss a good cup of coffee. It's torture going by the grind your own machines at the food store.

"Mommy, mommy, why does that weird man have his nose stuck in that coffee grinder?"
"Never mind son, just move along!"  grin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 05:46:25 AM »
If your source is soda, it could be blood sugar causing the headaches rather than 'caffeine withdrawal.'

Second that.  I rarely drink sodas at all, so most of my caffeine comes from coffee.  I can go without and not suffer any headaches even though I normally drink half a pot to a full pot per day.

Chris

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 06:37:41 AM »
My intake is a minimum anyway.
A soda or two during the day because that's all that's available.  But when I go out of work for a couple of days and I'm home drinking water, terrible headaches ensue.

I wouldn't think that one or two sodas a day would give you headaches when you abstain. Unless by one or two sodas you mean one or two 2 liter bottles. grin

An acquaintance of mine is allergic to caffeine, he had to give up all caffeine, maybe you're experiencing something similar.

At work, one (and on rare occasions, two) 16 ounce cups of coffee daily for me. I rarely drink it away from work, mainly because I won't finish the pot and I hate to throw it out. I don't have any withdrawal symptoms.

Back when I worked grading and clearing, I lived on caffeine. In the morning, a quart of coffee and two or three Goody's powders (they have caffeine) and more coffee throughout the day. If I stopped suddenly, I would get the headaches you described.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 06:31:35 AM »
For lo! the Board with Cups and Spoons is crown'd,
The Berries crackle, and the Mill turns round;
On shining Altars of Japan they raise
The silver Lamp, and fiery Spirits blaze:
From silver Spouts the grateful Liquors glide,
And China's earth receives the smoking Tyde.
At once they gratify their Scent and Taste,
While frequent Cups prolong the rich Repast.
Strait hover round the Fair her Airy Band;
Some, as she sipp'd, the fuming Liquor fann'd,
Some o'er her Lap their careful Plumes display'd,
Trembling, and conscious of the rich Brocade.
Coffee (which makes the Politician wise,
And see through all things with his half-shut Eyes)
Sent up in Vapours to the Baron's Brain
New Stratagems, the radiant Lock to gain.

-Alexander Pope, The Rape of the Lock

grin