Author Topic: Moving to MD...  (Read 1434 times)

Pew pew pew

• friend
  • Hello!
Moving to MD...
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:55:35 PM »
I'm moving to Maryland. Near Ft. Mead, thereabouts. Any advice about the area?  grin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Moving to MD...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 03:28:59 AM »
Doood....I'm sorry.
Maryland.  Check your civil rights at the VA border.
 grin
Gun laws are pretty crazy.  SD laws are worse.  I'm pretty sure they do not have a CCW program.
Otherwise, I can't help you much.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 04:45:29 AM »
I'd suggest living in Pennsylvania and commuting down.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:40:28 AM »
Likewise as to suggestions of commuting. Maryland is on my "That's Not America" list, along with MA and IL.

And Baltimore is an extremely dangerous city.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 05:47:18 AM »
I spent a month in Pikesville outside of Baltimore for 3 days.  Definitely a downer.  People are subjects, not citizens.  Move to VA and commute.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 05:51:46 AM »
I'd NEVER suggest a commute from Virginia to Fort Meade.

It's horrific trying to get across the river crossings. During bad weather it can take 5 hours, or more, for a friend of mine to get from Tysons Corner to Laurel, and that's only about 30 miles. More than once he's ended up on my couch overnight.

That's why I suggested southern Pennsylvania. The options are far more numerous. Yes, it's 60 miles, but it's not nearly as bad of a commute.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 05:52:46 AM »
Move to VA and commute.
I second that. Depending on your hours at Ft. Mead, the commute is doable. And life for us gunnies is SO much better in the Old Dominion.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 05:57:40 AM »
Unless he's going to work WELL outside of the standard workday it's going to be more of a pain in the butt than anything.

Pennsylvania isn't exactly bad for gunowners, either.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 05:57:40 AM »
How's West Virginia to Ft Meade?  I don't have a map nearby, but I work with a lot of folks here (we're near Tysons Corner) who commute from WV.  On a good day, it's just under an hour.  It's also much less expensive.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 06:02:57 AM »
West By God would be a bit more reasonable.

Living in the Charles Town area to Ft. Meade is about 80 miles, but it would be relatively fast, I'd think.

Get across the Potomac on the 340 river bridge and catch Interstate 70 east towards Baltimore, then drop down on 97 to 32. 97 and 32 would probably be kind of iffy, but 70 is not nearly as bad as 495 / 95 / 295 are.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »
Better buy a bicycle for that commute: gas will eat him up. We have a couple of folks in the office that commute 100+ miles each way and have gas bills of $500 a month just for the commute. They both arrive obscenely early (like 0400) and leave in the early afternoon. Bedtime must be about 1900 for them...

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 09:24:14 AM »
Depends what you drive. If you have something like a Ford F-50, yeah, it'll kill you. But something that gets over 30 mpg, which a lot of decent-sized cars do, it's not so bad.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 09:36:19 AM »
That still works out to about $346/month in just commuting costs (using Leatherneck's 100m each way example).  It doesn't factor in using the car for anything else.  In comparison, my 50mile roundtrip commute costs me $87/month in gas for the commute alone.

I used your 30mpg example car for both numbers.

There's always the option of the various train services around here.  Me and the wifey spent an anniversary in Harpers Ferry.  While there, we learned quite a few folks commute into the DC area from there by train.  I know a lot of my neighbors commute by train into DC (from Manassas).  That's always a thought.

Better than living in MD...

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
Oh, 100 miles, I thought you meant far less.

100 miles is just insane, yes. It's not just the gas cost, it's that you'll drive your car into the ground.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 10:22:11 AM »
Roger that. Their mini-trucks last 2-3 years at best. Insane, and I'm a country boy who values country living.

Know what my best recommendation is for commuting? Van pools. They combine local pickup/dropoff and economy. My last remaining van pool is a Dodge ram that gets average 10 mpg; but with 12 pax aboard, that's 144 pax-miles per gallon, and 11 cars that aren't on the road. Been doing it for 26 years up and down I95 and I'm sold. 45 minutes in the AM on the express lanes, 60 minutes at night.

Plus, the fed.gov picks up the tab with a $115 metrochek for each pax each month, so it's a free commute for them. Plus, the ridefinder network will cover two or three emergencies per year for those nervous about having no wheels at work. They even gave me my own bus once for an unplanned midday trip home.

TC

TC
RT Refugee

Warhorse

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 10:45:43 AM »
Having lived and worked in the Ft Meade area for over 40 years, I am a bit familiar with the area. I live 9.5 miles from Ft. Meade but will be selling the house and moving to the Eastern Shore this coming spring. (Looking for a house?)

The best range in the area is the Associated Gun Clubs range (http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/) in Marriottsville. It is actually a collection of clubs that cooperatively own and use the range. See the web site for more info. (I'm in Howard County Rifle & Pistol Club.)

Previous posters have hit the nail on the head re commuting. It's not fun! The entire Washington-Baltimore corridor is crowded and, during rush hours, traffic is horrible. I used to avoid the worst of it by going to work by 0630 and leaving around 1500. Thank God I am now retired.

The majority of the state itself is very nice but the political scene is a disaster. The state is heavily Demoncratic and overrun with the so-called liberals. If Donald Duck ran as a democrat, he probably would get elected!  angry

Don't know what kind of info you may be looking for but will be happy to tell you anything about the area you may want to know. I'm a new member of the APS but have lurked for a long time. I think you can PM me if you wish but have never tested that capability. Let me know what sort of info you are looking for.

Warhorse
Warhorse

Duty, Honor, Country is NOT out of style!

Pew pew pew

• friend
  • Hello!
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 06:28:04 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I might just PM you Warhorse. I'm moving there to brush up on my Arabic with an old Air Force roomie of mine and get a contracting job in the area. I love my firearms and I hate sacrificing said rights but I feel I may just have to at this time to avoid a commute. I've done that for a while and I am simply finished with the costs. I have a 4runner that isn't horrible with gas but bad enough to make me think twice.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 02:27:31 AM »
I have a 4runner that isn't horrible with gas but bad enough to make me think twice.

Hey, me too.  I have a 97 SR5 V6 5sp.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 04:25:46 AM »
I have a 4runner that isn't horrible with gas but bad enough to make me think twice.

Hey, me too.  I have a 97 SR5 V6 5sp.

Chris

Tell him what the license plate is.... Very... manly...  laugh