Author Topic: VHS rewinding, recommendations?  (Read 2182 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
VHS rewinding, recommendations?
« on: August 21, 2007, 01:39:06 PM »
Wait, don't Google!  VHS is a form of videotape data storage, once used for viewing films at home, much as we use DVD in modern times.  My wife and I buy a lot of one or two dollar VHS tapes at thrift stores and yard sales.  In the last five years, I've burned through about four or five tape rewinders, as I'm told it saves wear and tear on my VHS player.  I don't use them that much, it's just that the ones I've tried so far are junk.  Then again, most of those were second-hand as well.  Are there good ones out there, or should I just use the player? 

The last one that I got kept rewinding, and tore the tape off the spool of Citizen Kane.  I'll have to drill through a rivet to open the tape up and repair it.   Not that I liked it that much.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

Re: VHS rewinding, recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:42:55 PM »
Here ya go

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:52:05 PM »
VHS ... they used those way back in the 20th century, right Wink

We get videos at the pawn shop.  You can keep them as long as you want, and then take them back/trade for half price.

I'm still trying to figure out how to rewind these damn DVDs  angry
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Warhorse

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 01:55:43 PM »
Just use the player rewind. I have been doing that on 2-3 machines (different parts of the house) for over a decade with no problems.

I think that the idea that using the player rewind will damage the player is simply an "old wives tale." Frankly, I have never even heard of a player/recorder failure from this source. The primary failures seem to be due to the drive bands oxidizing and stretching so that they slip. That has little or nothing to do with rewinding tapes in them.

Warhorse

Duty, Honor, Country is NOT out of style!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:57:05 PM »
ummm, how about a $5 garage sale DVD player and a trip to the used DVD store?  Then you won't have to worry about rewinding or buying another machine.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »
Just use the player rewind.
Eggzackly.  They're so frelling cheap so what if you wear it out?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 03:14:06 PM »
I haven't had a VCR for over ten years, now.

Why not just get the DVDs used from Blockbuster when they're 2 for $10, or new from Wally World when they're $5?
VHS picture quality is terrible, and DVDs don't wear out.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 04:39:12 PM »
Since you can probably get VHS players cheap at a pawn shop, just get one of those to use for rewinding. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 07:40:19 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations.  I've got an old VCR I used to rewind with, I just have to figure out what the wife did with it.  We have a DVD player, but I just haven't found DVDs that cheap around here.  Well, except for some of the old B movies that sell for a buck a piece.  We prefer DVDs, but it's hard to beat the deals we get on VHS tapes, which are sometimes as little as $.50.

VHS picture quality is terrible
  Thankfully, I can't tell the difference.  Even bad CG looks alright to me.   smiley  I'm not the AV geek type. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 08:01:15 PM »
Put a 3/8" drill bit into the left sprocket (as viewed from above) on your VHS tape. Set your drill to run clockwise, and then pull the trigger (switch) on your drill. Try to stop before the tape is ripped from the spindle.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 11:33:02 PM »
I used to rewind my tapes in the VCR, and even had one that claimed it also cleaned itself when used to rewind, but noticed the VCRs would crap out faster that way. So I got a couple of VHS rewinders like this:

http://www.amazon.com/MAGNAVOX-M61117-1-WAY-Vhs-Rewinder/dp/B00022OAFW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/104-2816924-4013522?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187770138&sr=8-5

The rewinders & my VCRs have been going strong ever since.

Now, DVD players tend to die on me within 4 months more or less. I've bought expensive name-brand ones and ultra cheap ones. One I got for less than $20 lasted almost 2 years until its remote broke. The remote was more expensive to replace than the player. After a few more DVD players, I finally bought a Magnavox DVD/VCR combo and have been very happy with it.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 02:20:45 AM »
Thanks, LadySmith.  I think I'll put my VHS stuff out where folks can see it.  It will remind older folks of the good old days.  Younger folks might learn something.   smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 02:25:58 AM »
Ladysmith, I've had the same Sony DVD player for the past 8 years.  It gets a heckuva workout too.

Chris

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 03:30:19 AM »
You're welcome, Fistful.
The same DVD player for 8 whole years, Mtnbkr? Wow. The only electronics that have lasted for me are RCA televisions and an Emerson boombox I got when boomboxes were popular, way back in the '80s I think.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 03:52:11 AM »
I've had a JWIN (Korea) region-free progressive scan player with component out and digital audio for a good number of years, and it's worked perfectly. Watch a lot of movies on that, too.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 04:24:31 AM »
I realize it is old tech, but VHS tapes really changed the way people watched movies.  Before, you pretty much had to wait for the TV to show a movie again.  ABC I think had it's 3:00 PM movie special every day.  There was a Star Wars premier on one of the networks that was actually a big deal.  Now, no one cares if a movie is on regular TV.  It seems like the change was night and day compared to before.  DVD's are a step up from VHS tapes, but they are still just an improvement.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 05:27:48 AM »
The same DVD player for 8 whole years, Mtnbkr? Wow. The only electronics that have lasted for me are RCA televisions and an Emerson boombox I got when boomboxes were popular, way back in the '80s I think.

Yup.  It's an early Sony model.  My wife (then girlfriend) gave it to me for my birthday.  We got engaged in 2000.  By then I had owned for for at least a year.  I also have owned and used the same TV for the past 9 years (another one for 4 years), same PC for the last 4 years, etc.  I generally get good use out of my electronics. 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 05:32:35 AM »
Go to the local thrift store and get a cheap VCR and use it as a rewinder.

Oh, and I've had the same Sanyo VCR (very high end model when my girlfriend, now ex-wife, gave it to me), since 1989.

It still works fine, too, although I rarely use it anymore.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 06:35:08 PM »
My mother still owns a pre 1981 vintage JC Penney branded VHS VCR.  This son of a gun is still used once weekly and was used exhaustively for over 20 years.  It's been used to record, play, and rewind.  This thing is so heavy compared to any other VCR I've ever encountered in my life.

I have in storage a POS no name Wal Fart Black Friday special VCR I got when I was like 13 years old.  Thing worked just fine for 9 years of moderate use and still works. 

mfree

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 04:24:38 AM »
The problems in the development of the VCR were almost exclusively in design and technology, not materials.

That usually means that mature products will last damn near forever, even if they're cheap Smiley

It's the *tapes* you have to worry about...

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 09:18:23 AM »
Or make a _few_ trips to a local thrift store, and buy a $600 VCR for $10...

Blog under construction