Author Topic: restting ipod touch password? (without erasing data)  (Read 1247 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
restting ipod touch password? (without erasing data)
« on: October 06, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »
my daughter changed her 4g ipod touch password, and now she can't remember what the new one is.  we are currently on the i tunes uplink page.  all the info i find about restoring to factory settings, which will erase the 100+ photos she took at the zoo on her girlscout field trip.  is there any way around this?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: restting ipod touch password? (without erasing data)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »
Can you plug it into the home computer and sync the images off?

You might also be able to restore it.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »
is there another program that will sync with the ipod??  as far as i know only itunes can.  she had not previously backed up her pics, and it seems the only thing that itunes will allow me to do is reset the factory settings factory, which will erase all data.  otherwise, the ipod itself is locked up. i am feeling a little guilty, as she worked all summer to buy this, and she only changed her password to keep daddy from using her games......

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
I once copied the password file from my iProduct to another one when my brother had a similar problem. I don't know if that can still be done, but it worked. I used the password from mine to access it.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »
What happens if you power it off and plug it into a computer sans itunes?

Does it see it as a drive?  Or did Crapple change that, too?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 06:46:54 PM »
What happens if you power it off and plug it into a computer sans itunes?

Does it see it as a drive?  Or did Crapple change that, too?

without itunes, i can get usb recognition, but can't find an acceptable driver to run it.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
I don't have any evil mac products, but I found this. Does it seem like it would work?
The process of restoring your iPod involves erasing all information on the device and removing the previous configuration settings. In order to restore your iPod without losing data, you can first back up your iPod in iTunes, and then erase the iPod's hard drive and restore the software. Once the iPod is restored, iTunes will give you the option to set up the iPod as a new device on your computer or restore your data from a previous backup. To protect your data, back up your iPod at least once a month.

Read more: How to Restore an iPod Without Losing Data | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6386812_restore-ipod-losing-data.html#ixzz28ZG9olLu
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:18:18 AM »
^^^^^  wouldn't allow me to, once the ipod is in "recovery mode" it only allows default factory resets.

thanks for the thoughts, we reset it last night.   lost all the pics/vids.  there were a lot that weren't that special from experimenting with her new ipod, but she had a really cool vid from the zoo when the snakes were being fed.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 03:20:22 AM »
What wack is that a jpg restore routine run on that data store should still be able to retrieve content. There should be an app fer dat.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 07:19:40 PM »
Can you plug it into the home computer and sync the images off?
You might also be able to restore it.

At times I  connect my iPod to my laptop using a $1 knockoff  sync cable, and the computer recognizes it as a camera.

I have to fix it afterwards to be able to sync, but this might be an option.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »
i wasn't able to do that this time.  if it happens again............. =|