Author Topic: Done.... (NoVA in T minus 4 months...)  (Read 1508 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Done.... (NoVA in T minus 4 months...)
« on: August 26, 2006, 06:19:53 AM »
...Well, we found a house.  Woodbridge, VA.  I was hoping to live a little further out, but my wife made demands that we live close to her best friend, who's also in Woodbridge, as well as closer to civilization.  I feel we got a fair deal on our home, considering the prices out here.  We got the price down 15k, plus they paid 3% in closing.  The house was already vacant, and on the market 127 days.  It had been reduced twice already, so it's somewhere around 45k off the original asking price.  Two story, 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, finished basement with rec room, storage, and a nice sized "bonus room" (basically a big bedroom, but not zoned as a bedroom.  Makes a perfect office for her).
It's very close to a couple grocery stores, less than 15 minutes from numerous resturants and shopping.  My commute should be around 30-45 minutes depending on time of day.   About 5-10 minutes from I95  (not my route to work, though).  
Overall, we got what we wanted.  I think we looked at something like 20ish homes.  5 or so more we pulled up in front of and never went inside for various reasons.  
I get the impression we're going to like this area alot more.  I think it suits us better than Utah.  

So....who's near Woodbridge, and will work for pizza and beer?  Four months and counting.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 06:43:56 AM »
Woodbridge is about half an hour from us. Smiley

There's a decent bike shop not far from there.  I *think* you're not far from some decent offroading as well (Fountainhead is accessible from I95 via the exit for Rt123 to Fairfax, IIRC).  There's also a couple decent gunshops in the Woodbridge area (Shooter's Purgatory, I mean Paradise on Rt1 and another one who's name escapes me elsewhere in the area).  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 08:17:20 AM »
About 40 minutes more or less from me, depending on traffic.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 08:39:42 AM »
There might be one more moving to NoVA.  Depending on whether or not a current opportunity in Springfield pans out, I could be down there in a matter of weeks.  I can only hope, although I too would rather live further out, towards Fredericksburg.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 09:21:48 AM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
There might be one more moving to NoVA.  Depending on whether or not a current opportunity in Springfield pans out, I could be down there in a matter of weeks.  I can only hope, although I too would rather live further out, towards Fredericksburg.
Where would you be working?
We drove through Fredericksburg to get to Bush Gardens last week.  I95 was bumper to bumper, regardless of speed, all the way to Richmond.  That was on a Friday at 8pm.  Not a fun drive.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 10:29:46 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
We drove through Fredericksburg to get to Bush Gardens last week.  I95 was bumper to bumper, regardless of speed, all the way to Richmond.  That was on a Friday at 8pm.  Not a fun drive.
That'll get better after Labor Day.  During "Beach Season", I95 South is a mess on Friday and a mess again northbound on Sunday (or Monday if a holiday weekend).  

Dannyboy, you don't want to live in Fredneck's Burg and drive to Springfield.  Not only is it long mileage-wise, but you'll be driving a prime commuter route.  There is a train service from Fredericksburg to NoVa/DC, but I don't know it's stops.  Still, that's a tough commute.  Stafford's a better choice IMO.  It's still a rough drive, but you at least cut off the bulk of it.  

So....who's near Woodbridge, and will work for pizza and beer?
Oh yeah, I'll work for pizza and beer.  Though, I only eat gourmet pizza and drink expensive microbrew. Wink

Chris

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 11:33:41 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Dannyboy, you don't want to live in Fredneck's Burg and drive to Springfield.  Not only is it long mileage-wise, but you'll be driving a prime commuter route.  There is a train service from Fredericksburg to NoVa/DC, but I don't know it's stops.  Still, that's a tough commute.  Stafford's a better choice IMO.  It's still a rough drive, but you at least cut off the bulk of it.
No, no, I don't mean it like that.  If I go to work in Springfield, I plan on living somewhere in that general area.  I just meant that I liked the Fredericksburg area and would rather live out that way.  

Quote from: JamisJockey
In Springfield for a company called Jacobs Engineering.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 12:22:38 PM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
No, no, I don't mean it like that.  If I go to work in Springfield, I plan on living somewhere in that general area.  I just meant that I liked the Fredericksburg area and would rather live out that way.
Oh, I understand.  I agree, that's not a bad area to live if you can work there too.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 02:21:34 AM »
I dunno about the gourmet pizza, but I'm a beer snob.  I only drink cheap beer if someone else bought it, or for camping.
I actually went to Springfield yesterday, to go to the Performance Bike store that is there.....I'm gonna like it here :-)
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 04:29:52 AM »
Didn't know you were still in town.  Had you brought your bike, you could've joined me for an early morning ride (just got back in fact).  

There's also a Performance in Fairfax and one in Tysons Corner.  There was one in Manassas, but it closed.  I found out about it on the last day, when they were having a 70% off everything sale.  I picked up some tires for $1.50 each and some other odds and ends for next to nothing.  Spokes in Vienna is pretty decent.  There are quite a few bike shops in the area.  

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 06:41:06 AM »
Didn't know you were still in town.  Had you brought your bike, you could've joined me for an early morning ride (just got back in fact).  

There's also a Performance in Fairfax and one in Tysons Corner.  There was one in Manassas, but it closed.  I found out about it on the last day, when they were having a 70% off everything sale.  I picked up some tires for $1.50 each and some other odds and ends for next to nothing.  Spokes in Vienna is pretty decent.  There are quite a few bike shops in the area.  

Chris
Yep no bike this time, not much time to spare, either.
When I get out, though, you're on. I'll even bring the recovery drinks...
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 11:11:56 AM »
I'll even bring the recovery drinks...
mmm, beeeerrrrr [/homer] :-D

Ohhh, you meant Gatorade.  Wink

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 04:41:51 PM »
I'll even bring the recovery drinks...
mmm, beeeerrrrr [/homer] :-D

Ohhh, you meant Gatorade.  Wink

Chris
Hefeweizen....the yeast is great for recovery
:-)
Or....rum and gatorade.....
JD