Author Topic: Our criminal justice system has become a crime  (Read 852 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Our criminal justice system has become a crime
« on: March 20, 2014, 01:45:19 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/03/19/law-enforcement-clue-jury-criminal-column/6490641/

When juries decide not to convict because doing so would be unjust, it's called "jury nullification," and although everyone admits that it's a power juries have, many disapprove of it. But when prosecutors decide not to bring charges, it's called "prosecutorial discretion," and it's subject to far less criticism, if it's even noticed. As for prosecutorial targeting of disfavored groups or individuals, the general attitude is "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

If our criminal justice system is to be a true justice system, then due process must attach at all stages. Right now, prosecutors run riot. That needs to change.

Very brief, but content-filled column well worth your time.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: Our criminal justice system has become a crime
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
I practice in a state that doesn't use the grand jury.  For the most part, I agree with what he says.  The PA's offices I have come into contact with will frequently do what he says...Throw every charge they can think of and make a plea offer.  I am not sure that making the state pay the legal fees of a defendant that is charged but not convicted would work.  It isn't their personal money that would cover it, but rather it is taxpayer funds.  I agree with removing absolute immunity, though. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »
The only "news" abouit this is that certain prosecutors, when chastized by a judge and ordered to actually follow the law and canon of ethics, got their knickers all twisted up.  I'll bet it is not restricted to SC.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
News to the great unwashed but anyone who toured the sausage factory knows the problem is far, far bigger than the article portrays.  To the mix add periodic elections for districts attorney and associated grandstanding, underfunded incarceration facilities, underfunded DA's offices, ancient case management technology, insufficient court facilities, mismatched funding and needs, and my personal favorite, a completely unaccountable medical examiner system. 

Glad some mainstream news outlet addresses the issues but the situation is far worse than this one article describes.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon