Author Topic: Did They Put a Bounty on Bin Laden...  (Read 4557 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Did They Put a Bounty on Bin Laden...
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:37 AM »
... or did this guy read one to many adventure paperbacks?

-----------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan_bin_laden_hunter

American claiming to be hunting bin Laden arrested
By RIAZ KHAN and MUNIR AHMED, Associated Press Writers Riaz Khan And Munir Ahmed, Associated Press Writers 59 mins ago

PESHAWAR, Pakistan – An American armed with a pistol and a 40-inch (102-centimeter) sword was detained in northern Pakistan and told investigators he was on a solo mission to kill Osama bin Laden, a police officer said Tuesday.

The man, identified as 52-year-old Californian construction worker Gary Brooks Faulkner, said he wanted to cross over into the nearby Afghan province of Nuristan because he had "heard bin Laden was living there", according to officer Mumtaz Ahmad Khan.

Faulkner was picked up in a forest in the Chitral region late on Sunday, he said.

"We initially laughed when he told us that he wanted to kill Osama bin Laden," said Khan. But he said when officers seized the pistol, the sword, a dagger and night-vision equipment, "our suspicion grew."

He was questioned Tuesday by intelligence officials in Peshawar, the main northwestern city.

Faulkner told police he visited Pakistan seven times, and this was his third trip to Chitral, which is a mountainous region that attracts adventurous Western tourists and hikers. Unlike much of northwestern Pakistan, it is considered relatively safe for foreigners.

Chitral and Nuristan are among several rumored hiding places for the al-Qaida leader, who has evaded a massive U.S. effort to capture him since 2001. The focus of that hunt has been along the Afghan-Pakistan border.

Bin Laden is accused of being behind the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States, as well other terrorist acts. Washington has offered a bounty of $25 million for information leading to his capture.

Khan said Faulkner was also carrying a book containing Christian verses and teachings.

When asked why he thought he had a chance of tracing bin Laden, Faulkner replied, "God is with me, and I am confident I will be successful in killing him," said Khan.

Faulkner arrived in the Chitrali town of Bumburate on June 3 and stayed in a hotel there.

He was assigned a police guard, as is quite common for foreigners visiting remote parts of Pakistan. When he checked out without informing police, officers began hunting for him, said Khan.

U.S. Embassy spokesman Richard Snelsire said the mission had received notification from Pakistani officials that an American citizen had been arrested. He said embassy officials were trying to meet the man and confirm his identity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: Did They Put a Bounty on Bin Laden...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:39:27 AM »
I do believe there was, I think it was around a million plus too.
Look, tiny text!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:56:32 AM »
The question is, is he a nut?

Per APS definition, it depends on the handgun caliber: if he had a 9 mm, this guy needs the rubber room.  If 45 acp, they need to let him "escape", because he is one hard core operator.

;/
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:03:44 AM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
So why did this guy get arrested?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 12:18:49 PM »

Several good reasons, not the least of which would have been for his own safety.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 12:30:54 PM »
Several good reasons, not the least of which would have been for his own safety.

yea i have two friends with large families in baluchistan and for a fleeting moment i thought about playing tourist for 25 mill.  then i started to speculate on whether i'd be killed as soon as i stepped out my vehicle or would they enter the vehicle to kill me and said pass
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:31:15 PM »
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/justin_mickey/the-usrsf-code-named-bubba-my-advic.jpg

A buddy of mine, who has now passed on, used to support the cause of the Irish (that wanted to separate from the UK) in N Ireland.  He'd talk about and like to NorAID, etc., and even helped found a chapter of some pro-Irish-separatist organization in Arkansas.

When I heard that, I could not contain myself:
Dadgum!  And I thought "RIRA" stood for "Redneck Irish
Republican Army."

It is best, I suppose, to admit when one has been mistaken.

His response was..."colorful."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »
That makes no sense. If he is not concerned about his safety, why should anyone else be?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »
That makes no sense. If he is not concerned about his safety, why should anyone else be?

Heh.

And if you're not joking, then the Pakistani govt has no business being concerned about foreign nationals wandering about their country playing Dog the Bounty Hunter? Ascribing the most positive motive possible to that rather questionable institution, I expect they'd rather not have an international incident over some sort of execution video appearing on the internet.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »

yea i have two friends with large families in baluchistan and for a fleeting moment i thought about playing tourist for 25 mill.  then i started to speculate on whether i'd be killed as soon as i stepped out my vehicle or would they enter the vehicle to kill me and said pass

I think the guy has a generous helping of "teh craxy". (What does the "X" stand for? X-tra CRAZY!") He was also armed with a sword.  And the indigenous people who's whole culture there is based much more on bluff, honor "face", and appearances, respect/fear teh craxy and big blades even more than they do American Predator drones.

I don't doubt the outcome if the guy actually did make contact with AQ or Taliban, but I suspect he gave off more than sufficient 'vibes' to keep any locals who may be predisposed to do something nasty at bay...  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »
the locals are very flexible  they would slit his throat quietly while he slept or shoot an rpg into an airliner filled with innocent folks in order to kill him. not a problem for them

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 02:29:13 PM »
Bin Laden's plan is backfiring on him. He figured with his impetus all the nuts in America would go after the .gov in a similar fashion but it looks now like at least some of our nuts have turned their attention toward him instead.  :laugh:

Faulkner effed up though. Why would you state clearly "I'm here to kill Bin Laden"? Wouldn't t make more sense to say something like "Just taking in the flora and fauna of your beautiful homeland."
all friendly like?  =)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »

For his own safety
is possibly the worst reason.

I expect they'd rather not have an international incident over some sort of execution video appearing on the internet.

Probably a little closer to the truth.  Probably some weapons charges in there somewhere.  There is also that you can usually be booted from a foriegn country for whatever reason they see fit.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »
Or even worse . . . what if he was successful?  :O

(Of course, the most likely outcome is that he'd be dead, possibly after killing a few non-Taliban Pakistanis . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 04:42:28 PM »
Given the fact that I've got a terminal illiness, I've thought about/seriously considered cashing in and going to A-stan/Pak to hunt Bin Laden.  I figure what the heck.  A chance to put my name in the history books and give the family $25extra-large   The fact that I couldn't hike the mountains anymore made me reconsider.   =|
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 04:59:37 PM »
Given the fact that I've got a terminal illiness, I've thought about/seriously considered cashing in and going to A-stan/Pak to hunt Bin Laden.  I figure what the heck.  A chance to put my name in the history books and give the family $25extra-large   The fact that I couldn't hike the mountains anymore made me reconsider.   =|

that kinda thinking should keep our politicians awake at night trying harder. there are guys out here who are inclined to take things personal and if you take away the threat of punishment there is not much holding us back

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
Once again, Darwin is thwarted...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »

He might embarass the US Military  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »
correction, he might embarrass the idiots setting our ROE. >:D

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »
The problem is.

To successfully pull this off, one would need to have a massive compendium of skills.

At a minimum,  one must be fluent in 1-2 local languages, know the lay of the land, and be reasonably trained with firearms/mountain survival. Even having just one of these skills is rather rare. Together, Pushtu-fluent gunslingers/montaineers are hard to come by.

Unless they're actually Pakistani/Afghani, which is who the award is aimed at.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »
even assume all those skills you also need to be very very lucky.  if no ones dimed him yet for 25 mill thats not an accident

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 09:18:24 PM »

I'll chip in for a few bottles of O2.

that kinda thinking should keep our politicians awake at night trying harder. there are guys out here who are inclined to take things personal and if you take away the threat of punishment there is not much holding us back

99.9% of policritters probably can't wrap their minds around such a thought, so they go blithely through life sucking up perks and assaulting questioners.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »
Heh.

And if you're not joking, then the Pakistani govt has no business being concerned about foreign nationals wandering about their country playing Dog the Bounty Hunter? Ascribing the most positive motive possible to that rather questionable institution, I expect they'd rather not have an international incident over some sort of execution video appearing on the internet.

Sounds to me like the Pakistani government is covering up for Bin Laden, if they interfere with such an attempt.

They've already proven several thousand times over that they have little respect for the lay folks they are supposed to represent and protect... however, if an American mercenary makes a stupid mistake and kills a non-combatant then they can make an example of him after the fact.

I see no reason for the Pakistanis to stop this guy... other than they are covertly sheltering Bin Laden.  Or, our government sees it as useful to keep Bin Laden alive as a figurehead, but on the move eternally and in a perpetual state of defeat.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!